World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
yadayadayadayada

SURVEY - What if you knew when you are shedding?

yadayadayadayada

Hi everybody,

I'd greatly appreciate your input here, please feel free to send this link to anybody you think could be interested: https://fs3.formsite.com/CRa5Yw/form1/index.html

I'm greatly curious to know if you'd find it valuable (and how valuable) to know whether you are actively shedding at a given moment.

The virus is not active from 70% to up to 99% of the time. When it is not active, you can't infect anybody with it. So knowing whether it is active or not (at least IMHO) would be greatly valuable. But want to get feedback on this. So please add your answer to this survey: https://fs3.formsite.com/CRa5Yw/form1/index.html  

NOTE: For the sake of this questions please simply assume that you could know 100% that you're active or not.  Please let's not get into the specifics of "okay but how would you know" and "you can't always know" and "how could you be sure".

Thanks, everybody!

Best,

Felix

dont quit!17
4 minutes ago, yadayadayadayada said:

Hi everybody,

I'd greatly appreciate your input here, please feel free to send this link to anybody you think could be interested: https://fs3.formsite.com/CRa5Yw/form1/index.html

I'm greatly curious to know if you'd find it valuable (and how valuable) to know whether you are actively shedding at a given moment.

The virus is not active from 70% to up to 99% of the time. When it is not active, you can't infect anybody with it. So knowing whether it is active or not (at least IMHO) would be greatly valuable. But want to get feedback on this. So please add your answer to this survey: https://fs3.formsite.com/CRa5Yw/form1/index.html  

NOTE: For the sake of this questions please simply assume that you could know 100% that you're active or not.  Please let's not get into the specifics of "okay but how would you know" and "you can't always know" and "how could you be sure".

Thanks, everybody!

Best,

Felix

With technology advancing, I think this should be the next focus. Knowing when you literally shed could help keep loved ones protected especially with discordant couples and small children. Since scientist can't figure out the approach to a functional cure, this is what we should be focusing on. With daily Valtrex and knowing when we shed asymptomatically, that should be enough to seal the deal for discordant couples who actually care for each other. 

Another breakthrough would be knowing what cortisol levels were at any given day. When a person stresses out,  cortisol increases in the systemic body, when cortisol increases in the body it decreases immuno-function thus causing shedding and outbreaks. If we could find a marker on what are cortisol level and the correlation between certain markers and transmission then this would be a step in the right direction. It could be a way to self-check ourselves to stop stressing and stop with behaviors that cause us to stress like too much drinking or not getting enough sleep. 

Cas9

@Felix

Why are you asking a question that has an OBVIOUS answer? Do we really need a survey Felix?

Edited by Cas9

yadayadayadayada

@Cas9 You'd be surprised.

Cas9
3 minutes ago, yadayadayadayada said:

@Cas9 You'd be surprised.

Yes, I would be surprised. And what would be gained by finding out someone would rather not know when they were shedding?

yadayadayadayada

@Cas9 many people I discussed this with honestly didn't see the value in paying to know ("I'll still have to disclose, not woth paying for, I'm paranoid about results, I'm doing everything I can already so what's the point"). Which I don't understand, I'm with you but I want to get a sense of whether I talked to outliers or people are evenly split on this. One doctor I discussed it with said aiming to pinpoint active shedding "is crazy". He literally got angry at how misguided that train of thought is. So I mean what do I know...

Personally... I'd pay up to $50 to know if I'm shedding before date night.

Cas9
7 minutes ago, yadayadayadayada said:

@Cas9 many people I discussed this with honestly didn't see the value in paying to know ("I'll still have to disclose, not woth paying for, I'm paranoid about results, I'm doing everything I can already so what's the point"). Which I don't understand, I'm with you but I want to get a sense of whether I talked to outliers or people are evenly split on this. One doctor I discussed it with said aiming to pinpoint active shedding "is crazy". He literally got angry at how misguided that train of thought is. So I mean what do I know...

Personally... I'd pay up to $50 to know if I'm shedding before date night.

Well yes, of course if you are going to factor in a dollar amount for finding out if you are shedding then some people will say "NO". But what is to be gained by knowing that? All that shows is that people have their limits on what they'll pay. Isn't that obvious?

The "I'll still have to disclose" doesn't really make sense. First of all, if the test was foolproof then I suppose there's a precedent for not disclosing since it would be impossible to infect the other person. But if one still chose to disclose, how does that negate the advantage of knowing if you're shedding. In other words, the point of knowing whether you are shedding is to prevent the possibility of infecting your partner. And if you did disclose, wouldn't it be nice to show your partner that the test  reveals whether you are shedding or not? This would provide total security for them and not inhibit the sexual encounter.

Notthesame
5 hours ago, dont quit!17 said:

Knowing when you literally shed could help keep loved ones protected especially with discordant couples and small children

You mention small children. Do you think there is a risk to children as when I've asked people have said no unless there's abuse.

ManagingIllness

Old research hypothesized that the virus wasn't "active" most of the time. Modern research has shown that it is active almost 24/7. In other words, the average sufferer only sheds 3.5 days a month, but the virus is active, and actively being suppressed by the immune system, around the clock.

The amount of activity varies, of course. 

yadayadayadayada

@ManagingIllness can you link some of that research? It doesn't make much sense to me based on previous studies but would love to read up on it.

dont quit!17
2 hours ago, Notthesame said:

You mention small children. Do you think there is a risk to children as when I've asked people have said no unless there's abuse.

not necessarily but Ive heard of newborns getting infected from people kissing them on their cheeks. that is an unwanted possibility.

Cas9
19 minutes ago, yadayadayadayada said:

@ManagingIllness can you link some of that research? It doesn't make much sense to me based on previous studies but would love to read up on it.

As I understand it, the virus it continually trying to replicate but the nerve cell suppresses it most of the time. In other words, the virus is not sleeping as often as was originally thought. When the virus wins the battle in the cell, that is when there's viral replication and subsequent shedding or an OB. That's when you have the 3.5 days of shedding mentioned by Managingillness. But he may have a better answer for you.

yadayadayadayada

@Cas9 isn't that a "technicality"? From the sound of it this means that on a cellular level there is a daily battle but at the end of the day the virus can't transmit until it is present on the skin... right? I mean the question will still be: how many days is the virus present and transmittable. The mechanism (the technicality) is important but also not important... but I could be wrong, just trying to interpret. 

Cas9
3 minutes ago, yadayadayadayada said:

@Cas9 isn't that a "technicality"? From the sound of it this means that on a cellular level there is a daily battle but at the end of the day the virus can't transmit until it is present on the skin... right? I mean the question will still be: how many days is the virus present and transmittable. The mechanism (the technicality) is important but also not important... but I could be wrong, just trying to interpret. 

I wasn't following the conversation closely, but yes, all that matters in terms of being contagious is if the virus makes it to the skin.

WilsoInAus
1 minute ago, Cas9 said:

I wasn't following the conversation closely, but yes, all that matters in terms of being contagious is if the virus makes it to the skin.

I’d build on this to say that the volume of virus is critical. It has been observed that shedding instances where there are 10^7 virions are required for a pragmatic chance to actually get through the skin and it’s natural defences. Most shedding instances are well below this threshold.

I’d also suggest that for many asymptomatic transmissions, most of the virus comes to the surface during the sexual act itself. So little point testing beforehand.

yadayadayadayada

@WilsoInAus Interesting, is there research I can read regarding this? That the virus comes to the surface during the sex act? 

Quest
19 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

I’d build on this to say that the volume of virus is critical. It has been observed that shedding instances where there are 10^7 virions are required for a pragmatic chance to actually get through the skin and it’s natural defences. Most shedding instances are well below this threshold.

I’d also suggest that for many asymptomatic transmissions, most of the virus comes to the surface during the sexual act itself. So little point testing beforehand.

Where can we get more info on this?

Edited by Quest

WilsoInAus
4 hours ago, Quest said:

Where can we get more info on this?

This is an interesting paper on the subject of shedding and quantity required. Anna Wald is an author.

http://rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/11/95/20140160

The paper talks about the latest thinking regarding shedding. This includes the extremely rapid appearance and then decay of the virus. It just doesn’t hang around on your skin for very long. You’ll note a comment that samples 2 hours apart can see expansion or  decay of the virus being over a factor of 10. 

It is also noted that it takes quite a lot of the virus to be present in order for infection to occur. The peaks of viral shedding only sometimes reaches its a critical mass at its maximum, which does not remain effective for very long.

It follows that infection from shedding is most probable when sex occurs at the time a peak shedding eruption occurs and the range either side of the peak is less than 2 hours. The upside of the eruption is of course likely to be rapid but it isn’t know how rapid.

Quest

Great looking forward to why sex makes us shed. Thanks for the info. :)

WilsoInAus
12 minutes ago, Quest said:

Great looking forward to why sex makes us shed. Thanks for the info. :)

Note that I didn’t suggest that sex itself necessarily causes shedding, although it does seem possible. What I am saying is that infection can occur with a shedding eruption during sex, meaning any pre sex shedding identification would not provide assurances of no chance of infection during the episode.

dont quit!17
2 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Note that I didn’t suggest that sex itself necessarily causes shedding, although it does seem possible. What I am saying is that infection can occur with a shedding eruption during sex, meaning any pre sex shedding identification would not provide assurances of no chance of infection during the episode.

Yes but if you knew you were shedding at the moment before actually fornicating then most decent people wouldn't expose their partners to it.

Also, if you knew when you were shedding, you probably would start to telegraph instances of when you shed the most. 

Like if you continually shed on Tuesday night for whatever reason or after drinking beer or after getting your ass kicked at work. 

I wouldn't mind knowing this information, unless of course I didn't. 

WilsoInAus
4 minutes ago, dont quit!17 said:

Yes but if you knew you were shedding at the moment before actually fornicating then most decent people wouldn't expose their partners to it.

Also, if you knew when you were shedding, you probably would start to telegraph instances of when you shed the most. 

Like if you continually shed on Tuesday night for whatever reason or after drinking beer or after getting your ass kicked at work. 

I wouldn't mind knowing this information, unless of course I didn't. 

I don't disagree with anything you have said. I am pointing out though that at the moment, PCR testing takes an hour and added to say 30 mins of sex means that a negative on the test is no real indication of reduced risk during the sexual episode.