World's Largest Herpes Support Group
JoJo083

New relationship

JoJo083

Hey guys, 

So I recently met someone and after a few days I disclosed my hsv. We are dating and I'm just wondering what preventative med (besides valtrex) there is in order to protect against transmitting. I've heard of some others and my nurse has yet to call me back. Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Scooby2112
5 hours ago, JoJo083 said:

Hey guys, 

So I recently met someone and after a few days I disclosed my hsv. We are dating and I'm just wondering what preventative med (besides valtrex) there is in order to protect against transmitting. I've heard of some others and my nurse has yet to call me back. Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Thanks!

In the US there is acyclovir, valacyclovir (valtrex), and famvir.  

Acyclovir is the base compound and has low bioavailability which means you have to take more doses in a day.  However this is very cheap and can be about $4 even without insurance at places like Walmart.  

Valtrex is the most common.  It is a prodrug.  This means the body converts it into acyclovir.  This conversion takes time which means it lasts longer in the system.  So dosing is much more convenient (once or twice a day).  

Famvir is similar to valtrex also a prodrug.  

But all offer roughly equivalent performance.  Valtrex has the most studies on shedding reduction, but the results likely apply to the entire class of drugs.  

JoJo083
On 9/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, Scooby2112 said:

In the US there is acyclovir, valacyclovir (valtrex), and famvir.  

Acyclovir is the base compound and has low bioavailability which means you have to take more doses in a day.  However this is very cheap and can be about $4 even without insurance at places like Walmart.  

Valtrex is the most common.  It is a prodrug.  This means the body converts it into acyclovir.  This conversion takes time which means it lasts longer in the system.  So dosing is much more convenient (once or twice a day).  

Famvir is similar to valtrex also a prodrug.  

But all offer roughly equivalent performance.  Valtrex has the most studies on shedding reduction, but the results likely apply to the entire class of drugs.  

Thank you soo much for this!