World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
MikeHerp

EDITAS ocular herpes solution failed to edit latent virus

MikeHerp

https://hsvupdate.blogspot.com/2018/10/editas-hsv-1-proof-of-concept-study-for.html

Clearly, there are still some very big hurdles and questions to overcome before CRISPR become a viable solution for HSV.

These results are the same as the Temple studies, where CRISPR also failed to edit latent HSV.

Clearly, CRISPR/Cas9 CAN edit HSV and do it effectively.  But if it can'tr edit latent virus, then for it to be effective, it needs to remain in or on our bodies, and I have questions whether (i) it can do that indefinitely, and more importantly, (ii) whether a permanent CRISPR solution inside a human body, would be approved anytime soon.

But look, there's no need to put on a too negative spin onto this.  CRISPR is a fairly new technology which is only just on the cusp of starting to be tested and isn't even close yet to being commercialized.  This is going to take time.  and various breakthroughs are happening at seeming breakneck speed, so who knows, maybe there will be solutions to these issues.  

dont quit!17
22 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

https://hsvupdate.blogspot.com/2018/10/editas-hsv-1-proof-of-concept-study-for.html

Clearly, there are still some very big hurdles and questions to overcome before CRISPR become a viable solution for HSV.

These results are the same as the Temple studies, where CRISPR also failed to edit latent HSV.

Clearly, CRISPR/Cas9 CAN edit HSV and do it effectively.  But if it can'tr edit latent virus, then for it to be effective, it needs to remain in or on our bodies, and I have questions whether (i) it can do that indefinitely, and more importantly, (ii) whether a permanent CRISPR solution inside a human body, would be approved anytime soon.

But look, there's no need to put on a too negative spin onto this.  CRISPR is a fairly new technology which is only just on the cusp of starting to be tested and isn't even close yet to being commercialized.  This is going to take time.  and various breakthroughs are happening at seeming breakneck speed, so who knows, maybe there will be solutions to these issues.  

It seems like the Netherland studies part II, where the latent virus was untouchable. It almost seems like the virus would need to be relaxed prior to CRISPR administration in order for the HSV gene to have a chance of being edited.