World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Lola01

Taking aciclovir for  HSV-2

Lola01

I was diagnosed one year ago and was taking aciclovir for my recurrent outbreaks on and off. Few months ago the doctor advised me to take the pills twice per day for a couple of months none stop then reduced to one daily. Never had outbreaks while taking The medicine. Then  the doctor advised to stop completely and let my immune system get used to it and told me if any outbreak happens and gets worse I should take it just for 2 days then stop. I've done that but it keeps coming back after one week... 

Has any of you suffer from recurrent outbreaks and does it mean I should take the aciclovir without stopping it for life?... I was just hoping my body would be able to deal with it by itself but it's not happening and its getting quite frustrating and stressful...

Thank you all.

Evaluate

How long have you stopped taking antivirals?  It's not a quick process for your body to adapt but it does so with time and exposure - we're taking months not weeks (and years of some people).  Your doctor is right that taking antivirals consistently minimizes the exposure of the virus to your body, which is required for your immune system to begin to recognize HSV.

You alone have to weigh the pros and cons of halting antivirals.  A strong immune system helps with this (sleep, food, exercise, etc).

Blondie blue

Anytime I run out of meds I have an outbreak... Anything stronger I can take?  On acyclovir 400 mg daily

Lola01
4 hours ago, Evaluate said:

How long have you stopped taking antivirals?  It's not a quick process for your body to adapt but it does so with time and exposure - we're taking months not weeks (and years of some people).  Your doctor is right that taking antivirals consistently minimizes the exposure of the virus to your body, which is required for your immune system to begin to recognize HSV.

You alone have to weigh the pros and cons of halting antivirals.  A strong immune system helps with this (sleep, food, exercise, etc).

Since the doctor told me to stopped it. It's been 3 weeks ago... but as I said. It keeps coming back after a whole week. I eat quite healthy and exercise regularly. The outbreaks happens about one day after I have intercourse... so, I don't know if that's related. I rarely get ill so I always considered myself having a strong immune system until this issue...

Lola01
1 hour ago, Blondie blue said:

Anytime I run out of meds I have an outbreak... Anything stronger I can take?  On acyclovir 400 mg daily

That's the same I take... for how long have you been diagnosed? 

Evaluate

Sex is known to cause outbreaks in some people.

As for strength of antivirals, that's something you should discuss with your doctor.  Typically there are two dosages that someone would be on - maintenance and symptomatic.  Say 400mg daily to prevent outbreaks, and then that may increase when someone feels an outbreak coming on.  It's always good to discuss the dosage and medication with your doctor.