World's Largest Herpes Support Group
ChefboytheG

Just got my first outbreak :/

ChefboytheG

I made it through years of bad decisions with little to no consequences and then one day, (three days ago) a red itchy spot showed up on the shaft of my penis. Day 2 started blisters, stomach ache, headache. Day 3 (today) bigger blisters, nausea, headache, confusion, depression. Its hard to accept. Its one of those things you think will never happen to you but here it is. I'm almost more surprised that it took this long for my actions to have consequences. I deserve it but I can't help being really depressed about it. I know my life isn't over but its drastically different now. Any advice out there? Do the meds work?

WilsoInAus

@ChefboytheG

The thing you need to do immediately is see a doctor (or emergency) for a swab. You must go now! Ask for your swab to be tested with PCR. If they have to use a culture then request it be properly typed.

What sexual activity have you had in the week before the sore first appeared?

ChefboytheG

It was actually about a month ago but I had sex with someone that I knew had it. I thought I couldn't get it since she wasn't having an outbreak at the time but here I am with an obvious outbreak. 

WilsoInAus

@ChefboytheG Herpes does not wait a month to outbreak. This stands a big chance of being something else. You need that swab immediately.

So no sex in the preceding week at all?

ChefboytheG

Nope that was my only exposure. I've had a male yeast infection before which presents somewhat similarly to herpes but this is way different. 

WilsoInAus

As in that was your only ever sexual exposure with any person?

Please make arrangements for the swab.

ChefboytheG

No, I am married. My wife and both completely clean before we decided to have a Minaj with one of her friends. Her friend warned us that she had HSV-2 but said that she couldn't spread it unless she was having an outbreak at the time. I know for a fact my wife and I were clean before this. Within a month of exposure I've got a very obvious outbreak. I'm going to get checked tomorrow. 

WilsoInAus

There’s nothing wrong with what happened. You’re all consenting adults and your wife knew. 

Did you have unprotected penetration with this woman?

She is right in the sense that there is 1 in thousands chance of infection without an outbreak present.

ChefboytheG

All consenting but no protection. And we definitely can't get mad at the other girl because she told us up front. Bad decision on mine and my wife's part. 

WilsoInAus

Practically everyone breaks out from 2-12 days after infection. This is well outside the timeframe.

I agree this lady disclosed, she’s an adult as are you guys. Try not to think though that this is a bad thing. It would not be ideal but it will only be the issue you make it.

Don’t rush into diagnosis here, play it by the book mate.

Edited by WilsoInAus

ChefboytheG

It looks like a duck and quacks like a duck so I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow and find out what's really going on. I'll post on here and let u know what they say. Thanks for chatting man.

WilsoInAus
1 minute ago, ChefboytheG said:

It looks like a duck and quacks like a duck so I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow and find out what's really going on. I'll post on here and let u know what they say. Thanks for chatting man.

Mate no problem at all. Stay open with your wife, keep her right up to date. Nothing to hide or be too concerned over regardless of outcome.

WilsoInAus
23 minutes ago, Pokemon said:

I beg to differ, sir. My reading suggests the possibility of shedding and transmission outside of outbreaks is much higher. https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/190/8/1374/878164 for example.

Shedding may even be continuous for all we know, but that’s not the point. Shedding does not equal infectiouness. There had to be billions of virions present for infection to occur and most shedding episodes are well below this level.

Pokemon
21 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

There had to be billions of virions present for infection to occur and most shedding episodes are well below this level.

Can you direct me to any studies on this?

Pokemon
2 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

There had to be billions of virions present for infection to occur and most shedding episodes are well below this level.

"We predict that transmission is unlikely at viral loads less than 104 HSV DNA copies" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4006256/

The above quote suggests that transmission can take place with 10,000 copies (104).

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, Pokemon said:

"We predict that transmission is unlikely at viral loads less than 104 HSV DNA copies" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4006256/

The above quote suggests that transmission can take place with 10,000 copies (104).

Yes the same article also states that 96% of transmissions occurred with more than 1,000,000 virions present. For the chance of infection to reach 100%, 1,000,000,000 virions are needed. Only 2% of shedding instances involve this many virions.

Pokemon
3 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Only 2% of shedding instances involve this many virions.

Agreed with regards to 10,000 copies (104).

3 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

For the chance of infection to reach 100%, 1,000,000,000 virions are needed

Shouldn't that figure be 1,000,000 virons (106) for the chance of infection to reach 100%?

WilsoInAus

I am sorry, my bad, it is 10^7 that is 10,000,000 viral copies for 100% transmission. This still occurs only in 2% of shedding episodes.

None of this changes the 4% per annum chance of transmission female to male which represents about 0.04% per episode for a shedding transmission.

Pokemon
5 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

I am sorry, my bad, it is 10^7 that is 10,000,000 viral copies for 100% transmission. This still occurs only in 2% of shedding episodes.

None of this changes the 4% per annum chance of transmission female to male which represents about 0.04% per episode for a shedding transmission.

Thanks for the feedback