World's Largest Herpes Support Group
viralfrog

Over 4 Years with HSV-2, Symptoms Keep Getting Worse with Non-Stop Outbreaks Despite Suppressive Therapy (Need HELP!)

viralfrog

Hi all,

I caught HSV-2 over 4 years ago. It was pretty typical in the beginning, with a major outbreak first and further ones that followed. However, I was able to keep them under control with Acyclovir 400mg/day suppressive therapy and 1000mg a day during outbreaks.

In the past year or so, it has been getting worse and worse. The outbreaks started on my penis but later I started getting them on my buttocks too. In the last few months, they have been present only on my penis but NON-STOP. As an outbreak clears an new one will start within a few days. I can feel swollen lymph nodes on my groin and I'm constantly lethargic with a fewer-like feeling. I have had a non-stop outbreak for the last 2 months! 

Lifestyle: Since 16 years old I eat very healthy (high protein, complex carbs, vegetables), excercise 4 times a week (fitness/bodybuilding) and sleep 8-9 hours per week. I don't drink alcohol, but do drink coffee daily. Apart of HSV-2 and being on HRT I am very healthy. 

Current daily drug / supplement stack to combat the virus:

• Acyclovir 1200mg / 3200mg during outbreaks
  • L-Lysine 2000mg / 4000mg during outbreaks
  • Zinc 50mg
  • Vitamin C 1000mg
  • Multivitamin

Others I have tried without success: Valacyclovir 1000mg/d, CBD oil 

Other unrelated drugs and supplements I take that could have effects (since a long time):

• Testosterone injections (I'm on HRT, due to testicular cancer I had at 18 years old)
  • Arimidex (control Estradiol levels)
  • Finasteride 0.5mg (reduce hairloss)
  • Fish oil
  • Whey protein
  • L-glutamine
  • 5-HTP (mood/sleep boost)

I have recently started researching the possible effects of the testosterone replacement therapy and the effects of hormonal balance on HSV-2 outbreaks. I found research indicating that increased Estradiol/Progesterone levels can trigger outbreaks (can share if anyone is interested). I got labs done and found the levels were elevated, so I increased my Arimidex dosage without success. 

I have not yet tried the following supplements: Coconut oil, Probiotics, Vitamin B-12, MonoLaurin. 

Any advice what to do next :(? I'm feeling terrible for 90% of my life at the moment. When I visit a doctor / hospital they just prescribe me Acyclovir at a lower dosage I'm already taking. 

Edited by viralfrog

viralfrog
3 hours ago, Quest said:

I will help if you are still here. :)

Thanks! any advice much appreciated and still here. I have a non-stop outbreak that I can't get to end. 

Right now I'm trying coconut oil; topically applied and eating 2 tbs per day. I also started taking Vitamin D 3000iu a day as I tend to avoid the sun as much as possible, despite living in a tropical country. I'm also wondering what is the max. dosage of Acyclovir that I can take daily. Right now I'm taking 4 x 800mg per day. 

I feel, however, that this must be more related to my hormones. In the past year I've been really struggling to balance my estradiol levels along with testosterone. 

I've been also reading the cure research forum and currently investigating the use of SADBE. 

sameer82
1 hour ago, viralfrog said:

Thanks! any advice much appreciated and still here. I have a non-stop outbreak that I can't get to end. 

Right now I'm trying coconut oil; topically applied and eating 2 tbs per day. I also started taking Vitamin D 3000iu a day as I tend to avoid the sun as much as possible, despite living in a tropical country. I'm also wondering what is the max. dosage of Acyclovir that I can take daily. Right now I'm taking 4 x 800mg per day. 

I feel, however, that this must be more related to my hormones. In the past year I've been really struggling to balance my estradiol levels along with testosterone. 

I've been also reading the cure research forum and currently investigating the use of SADBE. 

Hi 

Could you please let me know how did you got diagnosed with HSV-2 by blood test or by swab test on the sore ? and how long it took from the exposure to diagnose status ???

viralfrog
10 hours ago, sameer82 said:

Hi 

Could you please let me know how did you got diagnosed with HSV-2 by blood test or by swab test on the sore ? and how long it took from the exposure to diagnose status ???

1: Blood test around 1-2 weeks after first symptoms (negative)

2: Swab test 3-4 weeks after exposure (positive)

3: Blood test 3 years after exposure (positive)

Edited by viralfrog

IcantThinkofaName
On 10/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, viralfrog said:

I have recently started researching the possible effects of the testosterone replacement therapy and the effects of hormonal balance on HSV-2 outbreaks. I found research indicating that increased Estradiol/Progesterone levels can trigger outbreaks (can share if anyone is interested). I got labs done and found the levels were elevated, so I increased my Arimidex dosage without success. 

I am interested in reading  the Estradial and progesterone thing. can you send a link?

I recently had super low estradial and had a recurrent OB for 1 month. 

I thinkits hormone fluctuations and stress caused it but i don't really know. Neither do my drs know anything.

viralfrog
9 hours ago, IcantThinkofaName said:

I am interested in reading  the Estradial and progesterone thing. can you send a link?

I recently had super low estradial and had a recurrent OB for 1 month. 

I thinkits hormone fluctuations and stress caused it but i don't really know. Neither do my drs know anything.

Sure! From my understanding, E2 (Estradiol) can protect you from outbreaks while elevated Progesterone makes you more suspectible to outbreaks. However, another study says that elevated E2 levels can also increase outbreaks. I think these two hormones are connected and I'm not sure if it's possible to reduce/increase only one at a time. Right now I'm taking Arimidex at a higher dose to bring my E2/Progesterone levels normal. 

"In a murine HSV-1 corneal infection model, we establish 17-β estradiol (17-βE) treatment of latently infected ovariectomized mice induces viral reactivation, as demonstrated by increased viral load and increased immediate-early viral gene expression in the latently infected trigeminal ganglia (TG).

Data accumulated from clinical research suggests that elevated levels of estrogen may also be included among the risk factors that promote increased HSV reactivation from latency."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2798450/

"Estradiol Regulates Susceptibility following Primary Exposure to Genital Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2, while Progesterone Induces Inflammation.

"E2-treated mice were protected from HSV-2 infection at the same dose and did not display any vaginal pathology or viral shedding."

"Progesterone-treated mice began exhibiting vaginal pathology within 48 h. By day 4, all mice had pathology scores of 4, with extensive genital and extragenital ulceration and hair loss, and were euthanized. In contrast, six out of six animals in the estradiol group had no obvious signs of pathology over the 10 days that they were monitored, and 100% of mice survived the high-dose challenge with HSV-2." 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC548484/

Progesterone increases susceptibility and decreases immune responses to genital herpes infection.

"In this study we compared the changes in susceptibility of mice to genital herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) after Depo-provera or a saline suspension of progesterone (P-sal). We found that following Depo-provera-treatment, mice had prolonged diestrus that lasted more than 4 weeks. This coincided with a 100-fold increase in susceptibility to genital HSV-2 compared to that of untreated mice. Mice given P-sal were in diestrous stage for 4 to 6 days before returning to irregular reproductive cycles. When these mice were infected at diestrus they showed a 10-fold increase in susceptibility compared to that of normal, untreated mice. P-sal-treated mice infected at estrus were susceptible to HSV-2, depending on the infectious dose. Normal, untreated mice in estrus were not susceptible to HSV-2, even at a high infectious dose of 10(7) PFU". https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12663762

Quest

I would get a Mary shoman sp? Link to her blogs. 

I think you should see all of the Dr. Berg.

Thyroid challenges are very common with over the top viral obs

Edited by Quest

viralfrog
5 hours ago, Quest said:

I would get a Mary shoman sp? Link to her blogs. 

I think you should see all of the Dr. Berg.

Thyroid challenges are very common with over the top viral obs

Thanks for this, I will try to visit a good hospital for a comprehensive health check up. I've been struggling last months feeling unwell, lethargic and sometimes issues sleeping. I need to get my thyroid levels checked as well. 

metamorphosis333

Ok no lie. Someone on this forum private messaged me back in March suggesting I try something called BHT!!! 

https://aging-matters.com/without-cure-horizon-herpes-sufferers-missing-bht-butylated-hydroxytoluene/ 

i decided to try it and it has literally been a LIFE SAVER ! I was so fuxking depressed by the constant reoccurring outbreaks I was having and the severity of them. Since I’ve started taking BHT I get no outbreaks !!! UNLESS I forget to take the BHT then I’ll have a mild outbreak .. which goes away super quickly if I take more BHT. Also, for the mild outbreaks I broke up a capsule and mixed the BHT powder into coconut oil and applied it topically as well!!! It literally makes it go away almost instantly! I have so much less stress In my life now if I just remember to take these capsules .. one in the morning & one at night !!

i buy them from here >>> 

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/life-enhancement-products-inc-bht-plus-100-caps

but can also be found else where!

Quest
11 minutes ago, metamorphosis333 said:

Ok no lie. Someone on this forum private messaged me back in March suggesting I try something called BHT!!! 

https://aging-matters.com/without-cure-horizon-herpes-sufferers-missing-bht-butylated-hydroxytoluene/ 

i decided to try it and it has literally been a LIFE SAVER ! I was so fuxking depressed by the constant reoccurring outbreaks I was having and the severity of them. Since I’ve started taking BHT I get no outbreaks !!! UNLESS I forget to take the BHT then I’ll have a mild outbreak .. which goes away super quickly if I take more BHT. Also, for the mild outbreaks I broke up a capsule and mixed the BHT powder into coconut oil and applied it topically as well!!! It literally makes it go away almost instantly! I have so much less stress In my life now if I just remember to take these capsules .. one in the morning & one at night !!

i buy them from here >>> 

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/life-enhancement-products-inc-bht-plus-100-caps

but can also be found else where!

I mix mine with oil to dissolve. I have the BHT crystals and I just measure it and put oil with it and I take one teaspoon a day. BHT is one of the last things I added and that doctor who wrote that free book said that a patient came to him complaining about constant outbreaks and he told him to look into thyroid issues. That's exactly where I got that from. If I don't take thyroid medication I will break out even if it's not taken for one day.. thank you for the update on BHT!

WilsoInAus
2 hours ago, Quest said:

I mix mine with oil to dissolve. I have the BHT crystals and I just measure it and put oil with it and I take one teaspoon a day. BHT is one of the last things I added and that doctor who wrote that free book said that a patient came to him complaining about constant outbreaks and he told him to look into thyroid issues. That's exactly where I got that from. If I don't take thyroid medication I will break out even if it's not taken for one day.. thank you for the update on BHT!

But I think it killed off your IgG antibodies,’right?

Mrspinkk

Omg 4 years :(This is very disappointing :(2 years after the outbreak does not need to be better?

Joey1987

Is BHT legitimate? Sounds interesting. And Im still at the stage where I'll try anything. 

viralfrog

Thanks again, I need to do more research on BHT. I can get it from a local chemical factory for $2.5 per 250g so that won't be breaking the budget lol! Just need to check if it's actually safe to use. 

I just went to get labs for full blood count, THS etc. and everything was normal unfortunately (or fortunately..). This still leaves me incredibly confused what on earth is causing this non-stop outbreak. The doctor suggested possible mental problems and stress (as I've been suffering from lethargy as well, but I assume it's from the herpes or another thing). She prescibed me benzodiazepam.. I might try one but I don't really want to get into these kind of drugs as my mental health is just fine (apart of being annoyed with this virus). Where I live, doctors tend prescribe too many drugs very easily. 

sameer82
On 10/25/2018 at 7:07 AM, viralfrog said:

1: Blood test around 1-2 weeks after first symptoms (negative)

2: Swab test 3-4 weeks after exposure (positive)

3: Blood test 3 years after exposure (positive)

i had been testing negative for past two years blood test sadly there is no typical blisters on my glans penis to swab test i tried that also once and it came negative but i am still having those pain on my glans and also NGU ..

Are you on Antivirals ? and have you ever done blood test after taking antivirals and it still shown positive ?

IcantThinkofaName
On 10/27/2018 at 5:33 AM, WilsoInAus said:

But I think it killed off your IgG antibodies,’right?

Is that true? What can you tel me about this?

viralfrog
23 hours ago, sameer82 said:

i had been testing negative for past two years blood test sadly there is no typical blisters on my glans penis to swab test i tried that also once and it came negative but i am still having those pain on my glans and also NGU ..

Are you on Antivirals ? and have you ever done blood test after taking antivirals and it still shown positive ?

I would strongly suspect you have some other condition than herpes. 

I've been tested whilst on antivirals and the results were as follows:

IgG: positive
igM: negative 

Btw I'll do some kind of a log once I get my BHT. 

Lulupazoola

I have been reading around but havent seen anywhere that IGG test results have been explained.  I have had herpes for 5 years (diagnosed by me) and have never been tested.  I get lesions on my right buttock, almost always in the same area, that turn into blisters if i cant suppress them first.  Anyway, can someone fill me in briefly on what the IGGs are about.  I assume immunoglobulin.  I had a test that showed M was low but my dr said there was little known about M and no treatment available anyway.  But there were no positives or negatives in this test.

WilsoInAus

Are you referring to an IgM test as well? This test has no diagnostic value in adults and needs to be ignored.

IgG antibodies are in your blood and roam the body. You have them for life once infected so they’re a good ‘flag’ to test for and confirm infection. This test is accurate and interpretable.

viralfrog
22 hours ago, unluckyfool said:

hi viralfrog,

check this heading...  might help.. who know...good luck

My Story On Herpes,VitaminC, and How I Beat It!!!

Thanks, I will have a read. What dosage are you taking at the moment? I've been taking 1000mg/d for many months without any effects. On a positive note, I haven't had a cold for over 6 months. 

viralfrog

I have just started a Log/Experiment on BHT. Please follow my thread here if you are interested: 

Holy Hope
On 10/25/2018 at 8:44 PM, viralfrog said:

Sure! From my understanding, E2 (Estradiol) can protect you from outbreaks while elevated Progesterone makes you more suspectible to outbreaks. However, another study says that elevated E2 levels can also increase outbreaks. I think these two hormones are connected and I'm not sure if it's possible to reduce/increase only one at a time. Right now I'm taking Arimidex at a higher dose to bring my E2/Progesterone levels normal. 

"In a murine HSV-1 corneal infection model, we establish 17-β estradiol (17-βE) treatment of latently infected ovariectomized mice induces viral reactivation, as demonstrated by increased viral load and increased immediate-early viral gene expression in the latently infected trigeminal ganglia (TG).

Data accumulated from clinical research suggests that elevated levels of estrogen may also be included among the risk factors that promote increased HSV reactivation from latency."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2798450/

"Estradiol Regulates Susceptibility following Primary Exposure to Genital Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2, while Progesterone Induces Inflammation.

"E2-treated mice were protected from HSV-2 infection at the same dose and did not display any vaginal pathology or viral shedding."

"Progesterone-treated mice began exhibiting vaginal pathology within 48 h. By day 4, all mice had pathology scores of 4, with extensive genital and extragenital ulceration and hair loss, and were euthanized. In contrast, six out of six animals in the estradiol group had no obvious signs of pathology over the 10 days that they were monitored, and 100% of mice survived the high-dose challenge with HSV-2." 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC548484/

Progesterone increases susceptibility and decreases immune responses to genital herpes infection.

"In this study we compared the changes in susceptibility of mice to genital herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) after Depo-provera or a saline suspension of progesterone (P-sal). We found that following Depo-provera-treatment, mice had prolonged diestrus that lasted more than 4 weeks. This coincided with a 100-fold increase in susceptibility to genital HSV-2 compared to that of untreated mice. Mice given P-sal were in diestrous stage for 4 to 6 days before returning to irregular reproductive cycles. When these mice were infected at diestrus they showed a 10-fold increase in susceptibility compared to that of normal, untreated mice. P-sal-treated mice infected at estrus were susceptible to HSV-2, depending on the infectious dose. Normal, untreated mice in estrus were not susceptible to HSV-2, even at a high infectious dose of 10(7) PFU". https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12663762

Oh my goodness!!! This makes so much sense! My outbreaks happen always 4-5 days prior to the beginning of my menstrual cycle, exactly at the peak of progesterone. I will definitely start researching more about this. Thanks for sharing this information @viralfrog !