World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Nella bean

To much information online, confusing!!!

Nella bean

Hi guys, I have been making myself crazy googling. So i decided to ask people who know.

My 28 year old daughter just told me that she has hvs1 for the last 4 years. She had a swab test days after first outbreak, it came back positive. She was also having a psoriasis outbreak. 6 months in a blood test came back negative, 1 year in another blood test negative. My daughter also suffers with psoriasis and ibs with is linked to the psoriasis.  There is also genital psoriasis that looks like the herpes virus. So does she have it or not...I looked up so much on google but things are conflicting to say the least. I am hoping to get some insight here.

Thank you all!!!

Nella bean

Sorry forgot to mention, she has had nothing as far as an outbreaks in 2 years.

WilsoInAus

I think the key will lie in the explicit blood test and swab test results.

A positive swab is definitive barring lab mix up and low level PCR results. If the swab was explicitly typed HSV-1 from a genital location then 99% she has it.

Some ‘swabs’ are actually slide observations and are inaccurate.

There are different blood tests including IgG, IgM and PCR. Exactly which tests your daughter had and the results are important to see the diagnostic value, or otherwise.

Nella bean

Thank you for responding.

She said both blood test were negative one 6 months in and one a year in. I am having her go to my dr. I dont trust the drs. She went to in the city. So hopefully she gets some accurate answers. As I mentioned she also has psoriasis which can look like herpes.

WilsoInAus

I think to help obtaining printouts of tests that have been performed will be very insightful. Unfortunately there are blood tests sometimes performed (IgM, PCR) that are essentially useless.

Make sure she has an IgG test type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

The most critical test to get hold of though is the one that suggests a positive in order to evaluate it further.