World's Largest Herpes Support Group
notthatsmart

Just got diagnosed with HSV-1

notthatsmart

Hi guys,

I just got diagnosed with HSV-1 by blood test in Singapore. My result is *>3.5

I'm a foreign worker here and I'm very worried if the ministry will deport me because of this. 

I don't have any outbreaks so far, so I am not sure whether it is oral or genital. 

Can somebody here enlighten me on the following?

1. Is the result *>3.5 confirmed positive? 

2. Will it affect my employment in Singapore as I am a foreign worker? 

3. How can I live with it as I am going to get married next year and I don't want my fiancee to be infected, assuming she doesn't have it? 

Thank you and to everyone here, just keep praying to God, as He will not forsake us. 

WilsoInAus

Good questions, but I think you are worrying a tad too much. To answer your questions:

1. If 1.1 was the cutoff for a positive then yes you have the virus. If you have no idea of location then absolutely little question it is oral from your childhood.

2. There are no employment issues of any kind with having HSV-1.

3. No issues here either. Best to tell her, but she’s likely to have it already and it isn’t an issue if she doesn’t in the context of marriage.

notthatsmart

Thank you so much WilsolnAus.

Ever since I received the diagnostics which was 2 weeks ago, I've been really worried and paranoid, to the extent I cannot sleep. I have read a ton of articles about HSV-1, and WHO says 2/3 of young adults have it anyway. 

If so many people have it, why is the social stigma still there? It is becoming more depressing to us who just got unlucky to know about our diagnosis, I bet most people walking on earth are not aware  they have it too. I decided to have full screening because I am going to get married, and I am not that sexually active guy though. Unfortunately I got this saddest news in my life. 

Can HSV-1 show as something like acne all over the face? Because 2 years ago I have experienced outbreaks all over my face, I was not just sure whether those were really acne, because it was the first time I had such an outbreak. They disappeared after 8 months and now my face is clear as before. 

Again thank you so much for your reply. Glad I found this platform to express what I've been holding for the past 2 weeks

notthatsmart

Thank you Notthesame. Maybe I am just really worrying too much about it. 

I've been on some raw food diet after this diagnosis. Aside from that, what can you advise to prevent outbreak from happening? Understand stress and over exposure to sunlight can trigger this.

WilsoInAus

Yes please express it all out, that is the best thing.

Genital herpes has only some stigma in limited locations such as the US. It’s pretty much ignored in most countries, just accepted as a life vicissitude.

Oral herpes has close enough to zero stigma. Pleas don’t let what you might read on the internet indicate societal response.

It isn’t likely your acne was related to herpes, way more likely a bacterial issue.

Please don’t see this as sad news, in time I hope you will see it as irrelevant news in the context of life.

notthatsmart

Thanks again WilsolnAus. Your words are truly encouraging. I guess I just have to move on with my life and be more careful. I will just gather enough strength to confide with my future wife about this, perhaps I would let her know after our wedding. I don't want her to be bothered about it as she is currently finalising everything concerning our wedding. I am still hoping she has not contracted it as she did not have any symptoms, but then again a lot are asymptomatic on this virus. 

Oh and one more question, can HSV1 cause canker sore inside mouth and on the tongue? I remembered I had one very painful tongue sore 2 years ago, then last month I had 1 canker sore inside lips.

Thank you again and I really appreciate how you made me feel at ease 

Terrell
On 10/26/2018 at 4:28 AM, WilsoInAus said:

Good questions, but I think you are worrying a tad too much. To answer your questions:

1. If 1.1 was the cutoff for a positive then yes you have the virus. If you have no idea of location then absolutely little question it is oral from your childhood.

2. There are no employment issues of any kind with having HSV-1.

3. No issues here either. Best to tell her, but she’s likely to have it already and it isn’t an issue if she doesn’t in the context of marriage.

Worried too much I’d gladly take oral over genitalia area.

WilsoInAus
4 hours ago, Terrell said:

Worried too much I’d gladly take oral over genitalia area.

The take it! What do you have? What do your tests show?

notthatsmart

Hi WilsolnAus,

I just have other questions which are bothering me.

Since I have not developed any sores orally or genitally, is there any other way to identify in which part I have it? I am just afraid to give it to my fiancee if we have penetrative sex (assuming she still doesn't have it) and let's say I have it in my genitals. I asked my doctor if I need to take any medications, but he refused to give me any kind of meds. 

Recently I have developed dull aches in my lower back, left hip, all the way to my left thigh and leg. Could it be related to this HSV1 which could be hiding on my spine? Consulted the same doctor but he cannot be bothered and just said it could be muscle pain due to prolonged sitting. Gave me meds for muscle pain but it's going to be a month now and still have this issue. 

Perhaps your vast knowledge on this virus can help shed a light on this matter. 

Thank you and appreciate your help.

WilsoInAus

Technically daily swabbing for a couple of weeks should find the virus orally, provided PCR is used.

However this is not required. If you acquired HSV-1 genitally as a primary infection - blammo - you’d know it!

Many people are infected before they can remember. You probably did have sores as a young child orally.

No, herpes does not cause solo, indiscriminate pains like you describe.

notthatsmart

Thanks @WilsoInAus for your always prompt reply. Really appreciate it. 

Just a bit of curiosity as I cannot find answer from internet, maybe you have an idea or so. I had chickenpox when I was a kid, believed I have been injected with few vaccines after that. Could it be possible that HSV 1 Igg test mistakenly detect antibodies for other viruses i.e. herpes zoster? Understand vaccines are creating antibodies in our blood for such infections. 

Thank you 

WilsoInAus

Scientists have studied many proteins associated with the HSV-1 virus. A particular glycoprotein termed gG-1) was identified that attracts a specific immunoglobulin that is produced only for HSV-1.

Tests are coated with gG-1 such that the relevant antibodies alone stick. Sometimes there are ‘noise’ proteins that stick as well but these are unrelated to any known viruses. These can cause low positives at times.

However a strong result >5 leaves very little doubt that the relevant antibody exists in abundance.

The herpes family is actually not very related. It’s a generalised term utilised long before DNA mapping for example.

notthatsmart

Woah! That's very informative @WilsoInAus. This virus seems to be really complicated, maybe 1 of the reasons why CDC is against routine testing for herps. Mind if I ask if you're a virologist or in the field of medicine? 

So based on my result which was *>3.5 (don't know why the lab did not indicate the exact value), guess it is likely confirmed presence of this virus. However, I do plan having another test next year maybe in another lab just to know what really my index value is. Still optimistic that it will fall haha

Anyway, it's going to be a month after I have learned my status, and I think I'm better now knowing that 2 out of 3 of us have this type of virus anyway so I'm one of the majority. Perhaps the way moving forward is to be more health conscious and try preventing having break out, which hopefully I won't experience

Cheers bud! 

WilsoInAus

No, I’m just Australian!

The lab just capped the result. Some cap at 5 or 8 and some don’t. Matters little.

You don’t want the number to come down, you want it to go up!

But note that your immune system includes over 80 elements that address HSV 1/2. It matters little the measurement of IgG antibodies. All 80 contribute you your experience with the virus.