World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Life101

First Outbreak

Life101

Recently got diagnosed with HSV-2 and I’m just so torn up by it!  I had sex with a guy I really like and then the next day I started to feel weird but I brushed it off but a few days later I couldn’t even walk and had to go to the hospital and that’s when I had a visual exam and swab that confirmed it. I don’t know if he gave it to me or if I possibly may have had it previously but I’m scared to have the conversation with him about it.. advice please ? 

WilsoInAus

Hey @Life101 welcome to the website.

The critical point here is that this guy is the source, that would be 95% plus chance. You are describing an initial outbreak to a tee.

I think you need to confirm the type (1 or 2) before proceeding further.

Did you receive oral sex as well during the encounter you describe.

Life101

Hey @WilsoInAus thanks for replying! I did receive oral as well and I have an appointment next week to see what type it is. Is it common when you first get exposure that you break out so quickly ? I had a partner that once said he felt tingly down there after sex and thought he had heroes but went and got tested and it was negative . 

WilsoInAus

How long after sex was it until the first noticeable lesion?

Given there was oral sex, type is important. He may be carrying an oral HSV-1 infection from his childhood.

WilsoInAus

Then there really is little doubt at all your current partner is the source.

I would definitely confirm the type with your doctor, don’t be fobbed off that it might be HSV-2 based on the genital location - many swans are not typed but assumed.

When you have this information, you can make a much better choice about how to approach it with your partner.

Dee22

Hi 

sorry to hear. I think just being honest and saying u have had health issues and discussing is the best way to go. It sounds like he may have passed it on and if he is somehow unaware it’s important he look into it to prevent passing it on to more ppl. Also, from my exp i have realized if it is not active in your body it doesnt show up so the other oerson u mentioned cld have had it but it did not present at the time of the test. 

Are u feeling ok health wise now?

Life101
On 10/31/2018 at 9:59 AM, Dee22 said:

Hi 

sorry to hear. I think just being honest and saying u have had health issues and discussing is the best way to go. It sounds like he may have passed it on and if he is somehow unaware it’s important he look into it to prevent passing it on to more ppl. Also, from my exp i have realized if it is not active in your body it doesnt show up so the other oerson u mentioned cld have had it but it did not present at the time of the test. 

Are u feeling ok health wise now?

I’m okay just really irritated and itchy after my initial outbreak and I just feel uncomfortable all the time now

Dee22

Hang in there. I think that physical discomfort will ease