World's Largest Herpes Support Group
viralfrog

BHT (Butylated hydroxytoluene) LOG / EXPERIMENT on Antiviral-resistant HSV-2

Michgirl73
11 hours ago, KG303 said:

Thank you so much. I do have coconut oil on hand and just wanted to make sure I could use that to dissolve it in. I’ll be ordering some shortly. And I’m sorry about that! Hopefully the BHT helps you avoid another outbreak. I’ve heard some people say it stopped the virus’s reoccurrences completely so I’m gonna give it a go. Hope it all works out for you as well. 

Can you only take it for a certain period of time and break from it? Or are u supposed to take it forever?

KG303
51 minutes ago, Michgirl73 said:

Can you only take it for a certain period of time and break from it? Or are u supposed to take it forever?

Quest mentioned that they stopped taking it for a while and thought they were gonna have an outbreak so I’m guessing you have to take it for a while. Idk I’m gonna try it soon and see how it goes. I’ve heard for lots of people it stops reoccurrences but I have no clue how long you have to take it for that. I did hear it helps destroy the lipid coating around the virus so your immune system can attack it I guess???

MikeIke

Start very small. I wouldn't go over 1g a day. Id try 250mg a day maybe 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Check liver functions on your own via online lab orders. It's cheap. Stop if your numbers elevate. Id start at 20mg or less just to test your reaction. Also seems that the board has recommended pairing with Saint John's wort. Not sure why but worth adding in.  This is my plan. Be careful and monitor. 

Michgirl73
8 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

Start very small. I wouldn't go over 1g a day. Id try 250mg a day maybe 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Check liver functions on your own via online lab orders. It's cheap. Stop if your numbers elevate. Id start at 20mg or less just to test your reaction. Also seems that the board has recommended pairing with Saint John's wort. Not sure why but worth adding in.  This is my plan. Be careful and monitor. 

I was gna talk to my dr about it, since I’m having issues with the antivirals long term. It’s just seems a bit scary.. can u post your progress? And can @KG303 can u post yours to, I appreciate it. 

KG303
23 minutes ago, Michgirl73 said:

I was gna talk to my dr about it, since I’m having issues with the antivirals long term. It’s just seems a bit scary.. can u post your progress? And can @KG303 can u post yours to, I appreciate it. 

Definitely talk with your doctor and let him know. Lol maybe you can inform him about it. Also just keep reading. I definitely will have an update with my results soon :) 

MikeIke

They won't even know what it is. It's in food as a preservative. They'll tell you not to. If you experiment with it, tell them you're doing it but don't ask permission. Again just be careful and manage it. 

viralfrog

Just a little update; started BHT again but now 1000mg/day. Will keep you guys updated, the first 500mg/d experiment had no effects in 8 days. Right now I still have an on-going outbreak. 

Michgirl73
10 hours ago, viralfrog said:

Just a little update; started BHT again but now 1000mg/day. Will keep you guys updated, the first 500mg/d experiment had no effects in 8 days. Right now I still have an on-going outbreak. 

Hope it gets better for you!

viralfrog
15 hours ago, MikeIke said:

@viralfrog how are you taking it

@viralfrog and which brand 

I just ordered it directly from a local chemical factory in Bangkok, no brand and it cost only a few dollars. I dissolve it in coconut oil and eat it daily before going to bed. 

jmherped

Update on my bht trial.  I went off the antivirals a couple of weeks ago.  Drank some tequila on Friday and got really sick.  Sweating and hurting now.  I noticed after about 3 or so days off the av's that my overall constitution started to fade, the fatigue started coming back.  I really hate it.  So I have ordered some famvir from the States.  I tried the local mexican generic aciclovir but it made my kidney's swell and the side effects were almost as bad as the constant herpes drag.  I know that bht does work synergistically with the valtrex for me.  Neither on their own provide enough relief for my constant virus.  I haven't tried famvir yet and hoping that it works better than valtrex, and looking forward to giving my kidney's a break as it does not destroy them the way aciclovir does.  A few more things to try:  Extract the root canaled tooth, T3 to give thyroid a break, thymosin alpha or tb500 to boost immune system and balance th1-th2 system, mesenchymal  stem cells, a doctor here said a shot of that into a vein will regenerate and strengthen immune system and will make me feel better, though I can't afford that right now.  I would if I had a few grand to do it though.  anyways, I hope you are all getting a long.  Don't put too much faith in the bht.  It's just one more thing that helps.  Well good luck everybody.  I feeling like the center of a black hole today.  The show must go on though... 

jmherped

Finding bht to be quite effective in combating current surge/outbreak.  However, after reading this I will be cutting back my intake to a maximum of 500 mg per day.  Even that seems scary to be honest.  Well, I guess life is just meant to be hell for some of us herpsters.

https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.2903/j.efsa.2012.2588

viralfrog
22 hours ago, jmherped said:

Update on my bht trial.  I went off the antivirals a couple of weeks ago.  Drank some tequila on Friday and got really sick.  Sweating and hurting now.  I noticed after about 3 or so days off the av's that my overall constitution started to fade, the fatigue started coming back.  I really hate it.  So I have ordered some famvir from the States.  I tried the local mexican generic aciclovir but it made my kidney's swell and the side effects were almost as bad as the constant herpes drag.  I know that bht does work synergistically with the valtrex for me.  Neither on their own provide enough relief for my constant virus.  I haven't tried famvir yet and hoping that it works better than valtrex, and looking forward to giving my kidney's a break as it does not destroy them the way aciclovir does.  A few more things to try:  Extract the root canaled tooth, T3 to give thyroid a break, thymosin alpha or tb500 to boost immune system and balance th1-th2 system, mesenchymal  stem cells, a doctor here said a shot of that into a vein will regenerate and strengthen immune system and will make me feel better, though I can't afford that right now.  I would if I had a few grand to do it though.  anyways, I hope you are all getting a long.  Don't put too much faith in the bht.  It's just one more thing that helps.  Well good luck everybody.  I feeling like the center of a black hole today.  The show must go on though... 

Keep us updated, you seem to have lots of interesting ideas for experiments. I'm also researching the complications caused by root canalled teeth as I've got one myself. I read on another forum that one can have an infection without  noticing (since the nerves have been destroyed) that will contribute to an overall infection state in your body. This could clearly be a contributor to the constant HSV outbreaks. I still don't understand what went wrong as I had the virus for 4 years already, but only in the last 6 months it turned from 1 or 2 OBs per month into a constant non-stop OB.. 

You mentioned TB500, I've used this peptide before in an attempt to fix a chronic knee tendonitis (without success). The only effect it had it made my arm hairs grow twice as long wtf :D

Have you tried high dose Zinc supplementation? Just reading into this as well. I managed once to fight off a cold with Zinc around 200mg/day or so so wondering if it could work for Herpes.. I'm already taking 50mg daily, but I saw some study here against Molluscum contagiosum where they had good results with very high doses: 

In a more recent study, researchers conducted a placebo-controlled study of zinc sulfate 10 mg/kg per day up to 600 mg per day for up to two months (J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2009; 60[4]:706-8). Complete clearance of all warts was achieved in 78% of patients in the treatment group, compared with 13% in the placebo group. No recurrence of warts was observed at the six-month follow-up.

https://www.mdedge.com/pediatricnews/article/102139/infectious-diseases/expert-shares-treatment-tips-molluscum-contagiosum/page/0/1

jmherped
1 hour ago, viralfrog said:

Keep us updated, you seem to have lots of interesting ideas for experiments. I'm also researching the complications caused by root canalled teeth as I've got one myself. I read on another forum that one can have an infection without  noticing (since the nerves have been destroyed) that will contribute to an overall infection state in your body. This could clearly be a contributor to the constant HSV outbreaks. I still don't understand what went wrong as I had the virus for 4 years already, but only in the last 6 months it turned from 1 or 2 OBs per month into a constant non-stop OB.. 

You mentioned TB500, I've used this peptide before in an attempt to fix a chronic knee tendonitis (without success). The only effect it had it made my arm hairs grow twice as long wtf :D

Have you tried high dose Zinc supplementation? Just reading into this as well. I managed once to fight off a cold with Zinc around 200mg/day or so so wondering if it could work for Herpes.. I'm already taking 50mg daily, but I saw some study here against Molluscum contagiosum where they had good results with very high doses: 

Hey man, sorry to hear about your trouble.  Mine is pretty much constant as well.  With the valtrex/bht plus a lot of other things combo I was able to keep to a 1 or 2 out of 10 on the severity scale for most of the time.  I nuked my current outbreak pretty well with high doses of bht, but I don't want to be doing that long term at all.  I am trying to get thymosin alpha from the pharmacy as it looks like it could be quite helpful.  Are you taking iodine?  I find when ever I take a few drops of it I get an instant outbreak.  It stimulates the thyroid and there is a connection there.  When the thyroid t1-t2 system gets out of balance, the stress stimulates the virus to awaken, a vicious circle, something like that is my theory from what I've read.  A small amount of T3 cytomel is supposed to help with that.  I am hoping to get that from the pharmacy today.    I have to get this tooth out asap as well as co-infection with bacteria can definitely flare up these herpes viruses.  Selenium and zinc are definitely helpful.  The valtrex/bht, plus everything else combo was working pretty well for me though so going back to that asap.  I just can't afford all this stuff though and it's bankrupting me and killing my business ambitions.  This virus has truly ruined my life.  I am so depressed.  It is hard to keep fighting some days.  Did you have herpes when you used the tb-500?  The TB alpha definitely should help with the herpes from what I've read.  I doubt it will be affordable though.  I'm thinking I might be just better up trying to save up enough for an injection of stem cells and see how that goes.       

viralfrog
21 hours ago, jmherped said:

Hey man, sorry to hear about your trouble.  Mine is pretty much constant as well.  With the valtrex/bht plus a lot of other things combo I was able to keep to a 1 or 2 out of 10 on the severity scale for most of the time.  I nuked my current outbreak pretty well with high doses of bht, but I don't want to be doing that long term at all.  I am trying to get thymosin alpha from the pharmacy as it looks like it could be quite helpful.  Are you taking iodine?  I find when ever I take a few drops of it I get an instant outbreak.  It stimulates the thyroid and there is a connection there.  When the thyroid t1-t2 system gets out of balance, the stress stimulates the virus to awaken, a vicious circle, something like that is my theory from what I've read.  A small amount of T3 cytomel is supposed to help with that.  I am hoping to get that from the pharmacy today.    I have to get this tooth out asap as well as co-infection with bacteria can definitely flare up these herpes viruses.  Selenium and zinc are definitely helpful.  The valtrex/bht, plus everything else combo was working pretty well for me though so going back to that asap.  I just can't afford all this stuff though and it's bankrupting me and killing my business ambitions.  This virus has truly ruined my life.  I am so depressed.  It is hard to keep fighting some days.  Did you have herpes when you used the tb-500?  The TB alpha definitely should help with the herpes from what I've read.  I doubt it will be affordable though.  I'm thinking I might be just better up trying to save up enough for an injection of stem cells and see how that goes.       

I'm not taking iodine, I haven't ever heard of that being used as a supplement except maybe in the context of thyroid problems. Interesting about thymosin alpha, can't find much info online though. I did get my thyroid levels checked and they were normal according to the doctor. I didn't have Herpes yet when I used TB500. 

jmherped

well, the bht isn't as great as I thought really, this outbreak has gone the full cycle.. although not as bad as it could have been.  My thyroid is pinching my windpipe, and I get gut inflammation when it flares up with the herpes outbreak, so thinking I have hashimoto's.  I can't really afford to do blood tests though, and I'm hoping that it's not the case that my immune system has gone rogue and now attacking my thyroid, but it wouldn't surprise me as my immune system is hyper active and it just doesn't stop the attack.  My immune system is in a state of dysregulation.  I'm taking some cheap generic aciclovir here but the fillers create terrible side effects and it is not as effective as the valtrex, though that is not saying much, though I did not give it enough credit as it was keeping my relatively afloat.  I have a shipment of famciclovir coming in and will try that for 90 days, and then probably go back to the valtrex.  I'm taking my game to a new level in order to enhance t cell functions, remove all extra external sources of inflammation, and potential autoimmune triggers.  I need to regain control of my hpt axis.  I'm currently doing bone broth fasting for three days and have bounced pretty well from that, gut inflammation gone and neck swelling coming down, still the last residual blisters in the back of my mouth, around the epiglottis and that mucous flesh back there.  When I start eating again I'm going to be doing sardines, spinach, sweet potatoes, full paleo ai diet.  There a ton of information about regulating the th1-th2-th3 system on selfhacked.com, but this is complicated stuff, and it gets so expensive.  My shopping carts at iherb and amazon right now are over 1000 for just one month of stuff, so this isn't going to work for me.  The thymosin peptides look very interesting.  Thymosin alpha is used for treating hep b and c, and it is immune modulating.  I'm not sure what is going on, so supplementing would be trial and error, whereas thymosin alpha should do what I'm trying to achieve automatically, if it works.  Hoping to get it soon from the pharmacy here.  I tried 35mcg of T4 levothyroxine as few days ago and it was the worst experience of my life, very bad trip, horrible effects.  If I end up on that crap I would probably rather be dead.  Thank god for the low dose naltrexone and methylene blue though, these two are life savers.  5 mg of methylene blue gives me full brain power and good body energy, and seems to knock back the herpes.  LDN, is really good for feeling better.  As soon as I'm done with my swim I feel the endorphins just cranking out and it really helps to calm the nervous system.  Quite a lot can to experiment with diet/supplement wise, and I feel it can mostly be done with diet.  I'm dropping back to 500mg bht, and will stay there.  It does make the valtrex etc combo work better, but I haven't seen any great benefit from higher doses.  I will let you know how the thymosin alpha works for me.  I'm pretty sure most of my herpes symptoms are coming from the attack on my thyroid.  I am hoping it is not an ai attack, but from what I"ve been reading, all signs seem to point that way.  The next time i talk to the online doctor I will ask him if it is possible to get inflamed thyroid from herpes without the immune system self attack involved.  If it is autoimmune, I will guinea pig myself with a shot of stems in the my neck, I would rather die than lose my thyroid.  Well, good luck everybody.... 

Big Daddy Jive Turkey

I've been taking bht 750 mg along with other supplements for 3 month now. I'll let you know if i ever have a negative hsv test again.

Big Daddy Jive Turkey

I've been taking bht along with other supplements ever since I contracted hsv-1 a few months ago. So far outbreaks last only a few days and mostly inside my mouth. I'm discontinuing for a few weeks to see if there's any change, then i'll resume.

Kurdt01

Been on BHT for nearly a month. Ordered what the OP got. No difference so far...def not helping.

MikeIke

@Big Daddy Jive Turkey

@Kurdt01

@viralfrog

I'm unsure if the caspule stuff is junk and nothing in it? One reviewer complained that it changed over the years. 

They sell food grade bht crystals on amazon. I bought that and compared it to what was in the pills.  BHT is crystals, the pills looked like powdered filler crap. 

I wonder if there is really any BHT in the pills. 

https://www.amazon.com/Butylated-Hydroxytoluene-Crystals-Ounces-Grade/dp/B013D77TTQ/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1545869263&sr=8-6&keywords=butylated+hydroxytoluene

I can send a picture of the differences.  I think there are 7g / tsp of pure bht, would need a scale to measure out mg's.  

Edited by MikeIke

viralfrog
21 hours ago, MikeIke said:

@Big Daddy Jive Turkey

@Kurdt01

@viralfrog

I'm unsure if the caspule stuff is junk and nothing in it? One reviewer complained that it changed over the years. 

They sell food grade bht crystals on amazon. I bought that and compared it to what was in the pills.  BHT is crystals, the pills looked like powdered filler crap. 

I wonder if there is really any BHT in the pills. 

https://www.amazon.com/Butylated-Hydroxytoluene-Crystals-Ounces-Grade/dp/B013D77TTQ/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1545869263&sr=8-6&keywords=butylated+hydroxytoluene

I can send a picture of the differences.  I think there are 7g / tsp of pure bht, would need a scale to measure out mg's.  

It could be powdered crystals. How does it taste? It should have a kind of bitter, unpleasant taste. 

Anyway I got mine straight from a chemical factory and didn't have any results so far even with 1000mg/day. 

jmherped
On 12/27/2018 at 9:30 PM, viralfrog said:

It could be powdered crystals. How does it taste? It should have a kind of bitter, unpleasant taste. 

Anyway I got mine straight from a chemical factory and didn't have any results so far even with 1000mg/day. 

You have to make sure that it is completely dissolved in the coconut oil.  You need a mason jar and a big wide pot.  Make sure the jar is not in the middle of the pan over the flame or it will destroy the bht and you will just be giving your liver a kick for nothing...  With the jar at the side of the pot and the pot pulled away from the lowest flame setting, let it dissolve for a good 12 hours.  Don't put too much bht in the oil or it will have a hard time dissolving.  I can't remember exactly how much I put in the last batch, I think it was about 100 180 mg caps in about 750ml of oil.  It dissolved completely after heating it very slowly all day as described.  It does seem to make the antivirals work better.  I like to think that by removing some of the fatty coating from the virus and exposing it to my immune system that it will help my body to fight this over time, although I am worried the virus might have already triggered autoimmune disease anyways and that could be worse than the herpes to begin with, but I'm not sure at this point as I can't afford professional medical care.  I have recently started on famciclovir and I feel 100x better on this than I did on Valtrex, and it seems to be way more potent at fighting my strain of herpes.  I had a few drinks at a party over the holidays and was training really hard and came down with a fever, it was going to be a big one, but the famciclovir had just arrived in the mails and 1 gram stopped it in 24 hours, completely put the brakes on it.  I've been on it for going on two weeks, I have ten times more energy and my kidney's don't feel swollen, so very happy with how I'm feeling on this stuff.  I haven't felt so good in a quite a long time.  I'm not sure how long I will stay on it and will ask the gp about rotating between valtrex and famciclovir, not sure if that is a good idea, but it sure is nice to give my kidneys a break from the valtrex.  I also started taking succinic acid in the morning with my apple cider vinegar/baking soda drink, this stuff gives a huge boost as well.  Combined with the methylene blue and the low dose naltrexone, my metabolism is doing great again.  The mb is shown to lower tsh and increase t3, so that must be why it was helping me when my thyroid gets inflamed when the herpes comes on.  I have ordered some t3 and will micro dose with that intermittently as well.  The dhea works great too, but I'm thinking of also taking clomid once or twice per week to boost testosterone levels a bit higher.  I think it has been shown that the nucleoside antivirals or whatever lower testosterone, so micro dosing with it might be advantageous as well.  Anyways, that's my current regimen there, plus glutahione boosting nac/glutamine, no carb, nutrient dense diet.  I feel like I have it under control to some extent for the first time since I got this about two years ago.  The famciclovir is really good for me, def worth a try.  I got it from costco online pharmacy with the goodrx card, it was like 70 bucks for a three months supply, plus 70 for the online doctor's appointment, so not too bad price wise.  Anyways, be careful with the bht.  It is the least effective part of my stack as far as I'm concerned, but I am low dosing it at max 500 mg per day and will keep with it for a year or so as too help my immune system identify this thing as mentioned.  Don't overdo it though.  When I first started playing around with it I noticed my skin got a bit palour and was probably from hitting my liver with so much of it.  Not a good idea.  And don't bother taking it if it's not totally dissolved or you are just wasting your time and your liver with it, imo...