World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
robertochavez

Conflicting Information Regarding HSV2 Transmission by Bodily Fluids

robertochavez

I recently had a risky (or maybe not) encounter with a woman who is HSV2+.  She disclosed that she was positive and stated she was diagnosed via blood test earlier this year but has never had any symptoms or outbreaks so she was unsure when she contracted the virus.  She also stated she takes daily antiviral therapy.  

My previous understanding at that point was that the virus is only transmitted through skin to skin contact.  Therefore, I felt ok at the time have vaginal, protected sex.  I was very vigilant to make sure that the condom was always providing proper coverage to avoid skin contact and we used positions that prevented grinding, etc.  However, she had a lot of vaginal secretions during the act which ended up all over the base of my shaft and scrotum.  

Afterwards, I tried washing it off and even put rubbing alcohol on the areas the secretions touched (not pleasant haha).  

The next day, I made the mistake of going down the rabbit hole of hypochondria inducing web browsing and found a lot of conflicting information about transmission through bodily fluids.  About half of the things I read supported by previous understanding of transmission by stating that transmission was only skin to skin.  The other half of the info stated bodily fluids can also carry the virus even when someone is asymptotic.  Even the CDC said that fluids carry the virus but Im not sure if they are just saying that bodily fluids have detectible virus or that it has enough virus to transmit to a HSV2 negative person.  

I know that the only way that I will know for sure is to get tested but before going down the long, anxiety filled road of waiting for an IgG test to be accurate, I would like to get some insight on the real risk of transmission through bodily fluids alone.  I couldn't really find anything conclusive on the internet and I couldn't find a scenario similar to mine on this forum.  

Its been four days since the event and I have been torn up with anxiety since.  

At this time, the only symptom I have is itchiness all over my body to include the genital and anus region that started the day after exposure.  I am sure this is mostly psychosomatic...

I know that the likelihood of transmission is low but any information, studies, or anecdotal information on this topic is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any info and a big thanks to all the people who provide guidance and support to people affected by this virus.  

WilsoInAus

The exact odds are not known, nor the precise conditions required for a non-contact transmission - such as via fluids.

Its a 1 in thousands style chance.

You know what, I really would encourage you to get some more information on the lady’s blood test.

It sure wouldn’t be the first time we have seen people ‘diagnosed’ with IgM tests or low positive IgG tests.

Quest

If you and she did everything you said you did you have a 1% chance.

Although it can wind up in the fluids, it will only be there when someone is shedding internally. 

You even have a chance that she would not shed at all.

Edited by Quest

Roja

At this time, the only symptom I have is itchiness all over my body to include the genital and anus region that started the day after exposure.  I am sure this is mostly psychosomatic...

Man, you were rubbing alcohol on that parts, of course you feel itchiness down there! :bounce:

robertochavez

@WilsoInAus thank you for the information. I understand that her test was an IgG. Are you suggesting that her test may be a false positive?  If I don’t have any symptoms or OB in the next few weeks, would you even recommend I get tested in a few months to see or do you think the risk is too low to worry about? I’ve read that some are discouraging blood testing with no symptoms to avoid undue distress if the three was no real risk of transmission. Let me know when you get a minute! 

@Quest  thank you very much for the info as well, I’ve really learned  a lot over the last few days!

@Roja hahah I know I’m crazy...

WilsoInAus

@robertochavezyou are wise to focus on what has happened to you first and foremost. You are totally correct in that with say two weeks of no symptoms, and you’re being very in tune with your body at present, then it is reasonable to conclude that no transmission took place.

Testing is always optional. My personal view is that a person ought to test at the end of a relationship with a known positive partner. This decision is influenced by many factors though, especially the social acceptance levels of herpes.

Yes it is possible that this lady has a false positive of her Herpeseelxt style results are less than 3.5 on an IgG. As she is operating clearly under the impression she has herpes, then I’d suggest her to revisit the test results as she’s never had an outbreak.