World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Bring me Hope

how did I get this?

Bring me Hope

2 years ago was the last time i was intimate with my soon to be divorced husband....  he was cheating on me.  I have not been with anyone else since him.  18 months later (this past june) i had my first HSV2 outbreak and got culture and blood test to confirm.  I was dx with HSV2 based on culture being positive.  My igg was negative and my igm was positive.  PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND.....    IF I WAS EXPOSED BY MY HUSBAND 2 YEARS AGO, 18 MONTHS LATER HAD FIRST OUTBREAK.....WOUDN'T MY IGG ALSO BE POSITIVE?????  I MEAN...ISN'T 18 MONTHS LONG ENOUGH TO BUILD ANTIBODIES?  OR DO ANTIBODIES ONLY BUILD AFTER YOU HAVE AN OUTBREAK?   i want answers.  COULD I HAVE GOTTEN THIS OFF A GYM BIKE?  OR FROM WAXING?    PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE IGG AND IGM.  I UNDERSTAND IGM DETECTS ACUTE INFECTION..... AND IGG DETECTS ANTIBODIES WHICH COULD TAKE 3-6 MONTHS.  BUT....THEN WHY WOULDN'T MY IGG BE POSITIVE IF I WAS EXPOSED 2 YEARS AGO.

WilsoInAus

Hey @Bring me Hopelet’s see what we can sort out here.

First, where exactly were swabs taken from?

Second, please check that your culture was actually typed with an immunofluoresence antibody test.

Did you happen to get HSV-1 tested for on your bloods as well?

Bring me Hope

Thanks @wilsoInAus 

Swabs were taken directly from my first outbreak.  I had one rather large open blister genital area....  My obgyn really dug in with the swab to make sure she got a good sample.  I had all the classic symptoms of first outbreak fever, aching legs and back.  HSV1 neg for igg and igmHSV2-DNA positive . HSV1 DNA negative.    So my culture came back positive (i have no idea what you mean when you said "typed with an immunoflouresence antibody test") and igm is positive.    Since my initial outbreak this past june I've had continual outvreaks and i'm on valocyclovir 1gram per day (twice a day when I see a outbreak).  I feel like i'm in a continual outbreak...even when there are no pimples or sores my back aches and I have a burning sensation in my girl parts daily.   Anyway, are you suggesting a missed diagnosis?  I'm so certain that is not the case.  tell me more

Scooby2112

He meant that they just didn't assume hsv2 because it was genital.  Hsv1 can also be genital.  

Looks like you had the right testing.  

You can have sex for years without transferring the virus.  So while you say 18 months ago if you are still having sex this may have just been the unlucky time where you caught him with asymptomatic shedding occuring.  

WilsoInAus

@Bring me Hope it appears that the swab you had was tested with PCR and not culture. PCR is much better as it identified the exact DNA of the virus.

This is all a bit strange as yes you ought to well and truly test positive on IgG

May I ask your background and roughly how many years is it roughly since you first became sexually active?