World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Jessie67

Another Question about Valacyclovir

Jessie67

First, I learned how to spell this medicine!!!  :-)

I just started treatment yesterday for the first time.  I'm am anxious med taker and put it off, but I've been dealing with an excessive amount of OB's in the past 6 months and wanted some relief.

So, I started yesterday after having an OB for a few days.  I'm taking 500 mgs in the morning and 500 mgs at night.   I noticed another couple spots last night that weren't there prior to my first dose.  But, I was extremely anxious about taking it and nervous all day long worrying about the side effects so I'm going to chalk it up to that for now.  They are very small and look minor, but I know they're there.  My brain can focus on two tiny little spots and convince itself that they're these huge major craters!  Sorry...I have to use a little humor or I'd cry constantly.  I went ahead and took my second dose last night and immediately got dizzy for a few minutes.  I woke up this morning early, took another dose and went back to bed.  For most of the day, I was shaky, anxious and emotional.  Just convinced that I was having side effects.  

I finally talked to my sister today after keeping this secret for 15 years.  She handled it beautifully.  Now, I'm calm and feel fine.

I know that there aren't any doctors on here but I'd like your opinions.  Do you think this is just anxiety or is this the medication?  I really need to get a grip on myself and this.  I used to just breeze through these episodes but lately I focus on every little feeling and worry every single minute of every single day.  It's driving me nuts.

WilsoInAus

I think your stress levels and anxiety are potentially causing these issues. 

The main thing you need to do is keep healthy, drink a lot of water while you take the tablet and do the things you want to do with your life.

Try to push on a bit before concluding you cannot handle the antiviral.

Jessie67

Thank you for the response.  My sister just said to me....only people who read the side effects get the side effects.  I tend to talk myself into them.  No more of that for me!  

Lulupazoola

There r other things to try except antivirals if u read around different places on this forum.  Im not saying dont take them, only saying there r other things u can do that might help.  I cant take antivirals/they dont help even if i could.  But i am having some success doing and trying other things:  changing diet, using oil of oregano (helps a lot!).  So do some research on this forum and then elsewhere on the web.  U will feel better when u have better control over your symptoms.

JHenry

a couple quick questions: Does Valtrex become more effective the longer you use it? Valtrex has been shown to reduce asymptomatic shedding to around 5.2% – does this mean that in a year duration, there is on average 18  asymptomatic shedding events in a year?  Finally, Is there any data  as to the duration of an asymptomatic shedding event when it occurs ? Thanks everyone, Henry.  

LillianPanos

I take 500 mg of valtrex usually a night, as in the beginning made me lightheaded, which is ok I have had this 2 yrs 7 mos have been taking valtrex daily since then as I dont wnat to infect parnter. 2 years of iggs show only hsv1 though original swab said hsv 2 but one dr said wanst typed properly. I havent had an ob for over a year. things seem to be clearly up down there so now afraid to go off. as friend went off and has had continual obs.  The first year had all kins of feelings down there and beginnings of obs but they never came out like the first time...

Cas9
52 minutes ago, LillianPanos said:

I take 500 mg of valtrex usually a night, as in the beginning made me lightheaded, which is ok I have had this 2 yrs 7 mos have been taking valtrex daily since then as I dont wnat to infect parnter. 2 years of iggs show only hsv1 though original swab said hsv 2 but one dr said wanst typed properly. I havent had an ob for over a year. things seem to be clearly up down there so now afraid to go off. as friend went off and has had continual obs.  The first year had all kins of feelings down there and beginnings of obs but they never came out like the first time...

Make sure you drink plenty of water. I used to drink 12 oz.

LillianPanos
1 hour ago, Cas9 said:

Make sure you drink plenty of water. I used to drink 12 oz.

Im Trrying To drinkiNgs as mUch AS I can. Tha

JHenry

Going to try again, can anyone answer this?

A couple quick questions: Does Valtrex become more effective the longer you use it?     Valtrex has been shown to reduce asymptomatic shedding to around 5.2%, does this mean that in a year duration, there is on average 18  asymptomatic shedding events in a year?  Finally, Is there any data  as to the duration of an asymptomatic shedding event when it occurs ? Thanks again,  Henry.  

WilsoInAus

Shedding is a loose term that refers to the presence of the virus without an outbreak. 

What is known now is that people will quite often shed, perhaps some every few days, but that it is rarely in sufficient quantity to give rise to transmission.

Shedding percentages are not as important as transmission percentages. Antivirals are know to halve or more the chance of transmission. It is not relevant if shedding days decrease or stay the same. What is clear is that antivirals at least reduce the number of ‘peak’ shedding episodes in a year.

Shedding looks to last a matter of hours, maybe 1-6 hours but it is not known.

JHenry
7 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Shedding is a loose term that refers to the presence of the virus without an outbreak. 

What is known now is that people will quite often shed, perhaps some every few days, but that it is rarely in sufficient quantity to give rise to transmission.

Shedding percentages are not as important as transmission percentages. Antivirals are know to halve or more the chance of transmission. It is not relevant if shedding days decrease or stay the same. What is clear is that antivirals at least reduce the number of ‘peak’ shedding episodes in a year.

So it’s not about reducing the number of shedding episodes, per se, but reducing the possibility that the shedding episode Is “strong enough” to transmit the virus to another person-as in viral load?

WilsoInAus

Exactly, it’s about the ‘abundance’ of the shedded virus, there has to be about 100.000 copies present for a chance of transmission, rising to 100% from when there are 10,000,000 copies present. This happens in only a few percent of shedding episodes.

JHenry
1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

So it’s not about reducing the number of shedding episodes, per se, but reducing the possibility that the shedding episode Is “strong enough” to transmit the virus to another person-as in viral load?

Thanks again Wilson, it’s good to know we have a knowledgeable source here to field questions.  Much appreciated,  Henry. 

JohnSim

Unless you have really bad outbreaks the antiviral medication is not worth it.  It made me get anbxiety and depression and also made me really weak so I couldn't even train anymore.  It suppressed them cos I had outbreaks each month but as soon as I stopped they came back stronger than before.  Not worth the damage they cause.  

MikeHerp

For the most part, valtrex has few side effects.  Part of the reason is that it's only active in infected cells.  

JohnSim
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, WilsoInAus said:

The antiviral can’t make you weak, what croc!

Your as ignorant AF, what do you know are you a pharmacist?? Have a proper read of the side effects and the long term implications for humans after taking antivirals for years and maybe you'll have a better idea.

WilsoInAus
3 hours ago, JohnSim said:

Your as ignorant AF, what do you know are you a pharmacist?? Have a proper read of the side effects and the long term implications for humans after taking antivirals for years and maybe you'll have a better idea.

Well I’m glad you are a pharmacist.

Hiwever you forgot to explain how it makes you weak, can you link to the side effects that include that?

JohnSim

No problem the side effects are;

headaches

dizziness

tiredness

depression

nausea

vomiting

stomach pain

joint pain

skin rash

stuffy nose

check at rxlist.com or webmd.com and consider what the real story is before u prescribe this to ppl out there. It messed me up for years.