World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  

Confused About Transmission

Genital Herpes Home Testing

NEW - In-home Genital Herpes Testing Kits!

Affordable, Hassle-free, 100% Confidential, 5 Minute Testing
  • No doctor or lab visits required
  • Prescription sent to your pharmacy
  • Lab-certified results in days
  • All from the comfort of home

I have been HSV-2 positive for a year and a half now. I am an attractive 24 year old who has a great life and a lot to be thankful for (I realize this now more than I did before becoming positive with HSV). This is my first time posting on one of these websites.

I got HSV from a guy I was in a serious relationship with who did not know he was infected. I have not had many partners in my life and also do not have casual sex. This is a huge blow to someone who has not slept with many people and catches something like this while in a serious relationship with a person they trust. He said he had been tested for STDs and everything was negative. This obviously was not the case. I tried to stay in the relationship with this guy since I knew he did not give me an STD on purpose, but it was too hard. I needed some time to heal and find my self-esteem again.

Now it has been a year and a half and I am in a relationship with an amazing guy who I really care about. I told him my status about 3 months into the relationship (we had not had sex yet) and he said that it was not my fault and that he still cares about me just as much as he did before I told him.

We did end up having sex a few weeks later for the first time and used a condom (he also kept his boxers on in an effort to try and cover everything). I now read on this site that asymptomatic viral shedding can occur from the waist to the thighs and I have to say this is very discouraging news to me. I don't see how I will ever be able to have a normal sex life again without a constant state of anxiety in the back of my mind. I really care about this guy and the last thing I want to do is to give him an STD.

I guess my question is...what would you say the chance is of someone catching herpes when a condom is used. I have only had one outbreak which was very mild and also mis-diagnosed by the doctor at first.

Is it possible for him to get it just from touching me in intimate ways?

Any insight or experiences are appreciated.