World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
PREU89

Valtrex??

PREU89

Ok so I've been diagnosed positive for both type1 and 2 and my doctor prescribed 500mg of Valtrex. Can some of you write back on feedback about this med. I would really appreciate it. I'm new to all this and it's been extremely difficult. I'm glad I found this forum though, you have all been so very helpful during this tough time in my life. I don't feel so alone.

Exceeder
Ok so I've been diagnosed positive for both type1 and 2 and my doctor prescribed 500mg of Valtrex. Can some of you write back on feedback about this med. I would really appreciate it. I'm new to all this and it's been extremely difficult. I'm glad I found this forum though, you have all been so very helpful during this tough time in my life. I don't feel so alone.

I'm trying to figure this one out too...I mean, this stuff is supposed to be pretty hard on the gut...but im not sure if my outbreaks are worth it.

shutterbug

I've only been taking it for a week so far, since my first OB... I've not had any side-effects from it (and I'm taking 500mg twice a day) and once I started taking it, my symptoms seemed to go away very quickly. I am only supposed to take them for 2 weeks.

My doctor told me to keep a prescription "on hand" and start taking them as soon as I experience the onset of any future symptoms.

I'd like to know the difference between taking the valtrex at the onset of symptoms vs taking it daily. Does taking it daily reduce the # of breakouts you've experienced?

Exceeder
I've only been taking it for a week so far, since my first OB... I've not had any side-effects from it (and I'm taking 500mg twice a day) and once I started taking it, my symptoms seemed to go away very quickly. I am only supposed to take them for 2 weeks.

My doctor told me to keep a prescription "on hand" and start taking them as soon as I experience the onset of any future symptoms.

I'd like to know the difference between taking the valtrex at the onset of symptoms vs taking it daily. Does taking it daily reduce the # of breakouts you've experienced?

This is my second day on it, and I have noticed a reduction in symptoms (although I couldn't tell you if that would have happened otherwise)...

I am 5'9" with a large, athletic frame, and my doctor put me on 1000mg daily "forever".

I don't reducing my outbreaks and risk of infecting other people, but it almost feels like he is "medically quarantining" me...I think I will seek a second opinion about this dosage sometime in the future.

Also, I am having a rough time in my life as it is, regardless of the herpes (job change, living at home again, poor access to healthy food, long hours, winter months, etc) and I don't imagine I will have as many outbreak symptoms once my situation improves (BTW, my symptoms are relatively mild - just some redness, minor itching and some "weeping" on the surface of the skin).

I wonder why your doctor told you to only take it for two weeks?

I am also going to be cautious about drinking alcohol (and even coffee, etc) while I am on this stuff...its supposed to be pretty rough on the kidneys!

catiesmom

I believe valtrex can be used for outbreak control as well as for virus management/suppression. Some people take it only when they have outbreaks, and some people take it every day to help reduce their chances of an outbreak and to hopefully reduce viral shedding. I think the difference between the two situations here is the doctor - one preferred not putting a patient on a daily pill, one decided to use the suppression method.

Exceeder

Day 3...the Valtrex seems to rock! I no longer have flu/cold symptoms, and the outbreak is clearing up...

I just don't know if I want to take this stuff year round...

shutterbug

Is the dosage prescribed for "during an outbreak" typically higher than the "everyday" dosage? Just curious. Do most people take 500mg daily, but up that to 1000mg during outbreaks?

Just trying to figure out if taking the daily pill is worth talking to my doctor about.

PREU89

I've taken Valtrex for 4 days now. And the second day I took it I had a terrible headache but that hasn't happened again. I'm still debating whether to continue to take this pill or not. considering that my"ob" was just a small sore in my genital area. And that was it. Its been over a month since this happened and Ive been great. So I'm still thinking about it.

Bea

Hi everyone. I am new to this message board. I was diagnosed with HSV2 about 3 years ago.

Recently I decided to start taking Valtrex as preventative to outbreaks. My doctor has prescribed 1 gram per day.

Immediately after the first day of taking the medication I had a very large outbreak that lasted nearly a week.

I have been on Valtrex now for four weeks and I have had 3 outbreaks in that time.

I am trying to get an understanding of this and was wondering if anyone may be able to shed some light on this at all?

(I did mess up and missed a couple of days of the pill.)

Thank you!

NotSoGood

You know whats crazy my doctor never said take valtrex everyday she just said come in when I have an ob and she'll give me the meds. I took it before but didnt see big help I dont have very bad ob's and I dont think I want to take meds again I think I will try and deal with this without anything being that they are not that bad. I dont understand why everyone else on this board is being told to take the meds all the time.

Bea

Thank you. Valtrex has slight side effects for me - a heavy feeling in my eyes (like they have lost moisture or something) and extremely dry and chapped lips. I have not run into hair loss though.

So, you think that maybe its a different strain? Should I go back to my doctor about it (you know how hard it was to tell my Dr in the first place? I originally found out in a planned parenthood place, then told my private doctor years later. So embarrassing for me)?

I have been reading up and discovered I am likely violating every single proper diet habit to prevent outbreaks. Wow. I have to totally change my diet in order to prevent outbreaks.

Should I try just changing diet and skip the pill entirely? See if that makes any difference? Seems like that pill is causing outbreaks at this point!

catiesmom

The way i see it, if the pill doesn't work for you, try something else that might. You'll never know what works until you do it.

lavenderchic

I have been on valtrex for less than a week being diagnosed with genital hsv2. 500mg twice daily I have experience just about every common side effect

nausea, headache, dizziness, diarrhea, fatigue, stomach pain.

Just last night after hour of tossing, turning ad having herpes thoughts I fall asleep only to be awoken a few hours later with stomach pain.

Hopefully my body will adjust, this is all so hard to digest to:cry:

Exceeder

Since this is my first outbreak (that I am aware of) I have no idea if the Valtrex is reducing the symptoms or not...who knows, maybe without the Valtrex everything would be 10 times worse?

I'm also going to jack up my vitamin C and Lysine to 3000mg a day, hopefully that will reduce some of my symptoms...

I'll keep everyone posted on the status of my crotch.

Exceeder
Well my experience with Valtrex is this.... it worked. Also gave me headaches and hair loss. Dried and flaked my skin and gave me outbreaks of hives like HUGE ones!

However it did work and is probabaly good for those that don't get side effects. If its doesn't work then your strain of virus is probabaly immune to it. I've heard of this happening before, try alcyclovir instead.

I searched for a correlation between valtrex and balding, and didn't find very much at all.

If you are very stressed out, and showering all the time to alleviate symptoms, etc, then this could account for the dry skin and slight hair loss...

Also, I would say that the OB symptoms aren't the only manifestation of herpes...I believe Valtrex can assist the immune system even if symptoms don't show improvement...you may still have a rash, weeping, pain, etc, but the valtrex may still be doing good...

At least this is my experience. Within two days of taking it, my stuffed nose and tiredness went away, even though my more visual OB symptoms didn't appear to change...

Exceeder
I have been on valtrex for less than a week being diagnosed with genital hsv2. 500mg twice daily I have experience just about every common side effect

nausea, headache, dizziness, diarrhea, fatigue, stomach pain.

Just last night after hour of tossing, turning ad having herpes thoughts I fall asleep only to be awoken a few hours later with stomach pain.

Hopefully my body will adjust, this is all so hard to digest to:cry:

Hang in there! I have those bad dreams too...last night I think I changed my underwear four times...I don't know why but it made me feel cleaner.:?::rolleyes:

TravelingByStars

For me personally Valtrex has been awesome, I was told by two separate doctors that valtrex is more beneficial in males with healthy immune systems, for me when I first got this damn thing I would have an OB every month to month and half, knew I couldn't live like this and decided to take the valtrex once every day, been on it close to six months now and have not had an outbreak since, I never notice any negative feelings from the pill either and I've taken it in the morning on a complete empty stomach multiple times and didn't eat for hours after, so for my review of it, it's been fantastic only problem would be the cost, but I will be starting to order larger quantities from the canadian pharmacies for much cheaper tax'n way to hard here in the states!

shutterbug

Has anyone experienced excessive fatigue on Valtrex? I am on my 2nd week of treating my 1st OB, and while my body seemed to respond extremely quickly and well to it (in terms of the OB) I am SO FREAKEN TIRED. Like getting up in the morning is absolutely impossible, and I am fighting to not fall asleep ALL. DAY. LONG. My doc only wants me to take the meds when I have an OB, but this sleepy feeling is killin' me! Normally, I'm a very energetic person...

catiesmom

For me, the fatigue was linked to depression i didn't realize i was experiencing and hadn't dealt with. I never used valtrex so i can't say it's NOT a side effect, but i did experience fatigue and it was unrelated to medicine.

Christine2219

I had my first OB two weeks ago. I had the symptoms for 3 days before I went to the Dr. (I got it genitally from my fiance's cold sore so I wasn't expecting herpes) Within 5 days my symptoms were GONE! I mean completely gone. The sores had healed there was nothing to be seen. I was on the episodic treatment 10 days 2 grams a day. So the high dose probably did the trick, but I think it's an amazing drug! The only problem was that after my 10 day treatment was up....I started another OB. I think some people really do benefit from the daily valtrex, while others can benefit from only taking it with an OB.

Bea

So I have been continuing the valtrex daily. And I added suppliments that I studied about on this websight.

I added: Olive lead, Echenacea, vitamin C, B complex and L-Lysine.

Between all of that, my OB healed 10 times faster than with valtrex alone.

I just hope it stays away.

Undergrad

Valtrex has been GREAT for me

I used to have outbreaks pretty regularly (and often right after having sex (friction?)) until I started taking Valtrex (500mg) daily as a suppressant. I went nine months, seven months and currently (knock on wood) eleven months without an outbreak.

In addition to the Valtrex, though, I stopped drinking caffeine, and I have restricted my diet by eliminating foods that are high in arginine.

IIRC, one outbreak was when I was sick (immune system down) and the other time was when I was on a drinking binge (class reunion weekend).

Also, I have not had any side effects from the Valtrex (no upset stomach, etc.). I definitely recommend Valtrex.

Misty

I was given three days worth of valtrex.

When I went to pick up the perscription the pharmasis said that valtrex works best if taken 5-10 days so the next day I called my doctor back. My doctors nurse called me and told me three days works ok and the doctor felt there was no need for more.

I took the valtrex for the three days, now I feel Im having the worst ob Ive ever had. I think it made it worse A LOT WORSE.

Im going to call my doctor again in the morning but since it will be Friday and Monday and Tuesday holidays for most places I dont think Im going to have much luck.

For the outside I think gold bond is a god send but nothing I have tried so far seems to help with the inside blisters.

BudShotEyes

I have a question about Valtrex. Does it mix well with alcohol or other drugs? I'm absolutely crushed that I can't use stimulants anymore, but what about opiates or benzos?