World's Largest Herpes Support Group
PaperMoon24

Newly diagnosed

PaperMoon24

I need help figuring out who gave me this, if possible.

I had sex, and he performed oral on me exactly 8 weeks prior to my new partner. New partner: we had sex, we both performed oral. 2 days later I feel uncomfortable, tingling/burning. I go to the doctor on the 3rd day, late afternoon and a sore had popped up (i hadn't even seen it yet, doctor did). She swabbed it and it tested positive for herpes (she couldn't tell me which type). Horrible primary infection, swollen glands, burning, multiple lesions. I go back in to pick up medicine (2 days after initial doc appointment) and get a blood test to confirm if this is a new infection. IgG and igM both negative (so 5 days after the night I had sex with last partner, and 8.5 weeks after first partner). Doctor said it's a safe bet to assume I got this from my last partner, as symptoms typically show 2-10 days later. But do you think it could have been from the partner 8 weeks prior and I don't have any antibodies yet? Maybe the sex triggered the primary outbreak? 

Doctor said to come back in 4-6 weeks for blood test again, but I'm reading that it takes 12 weeks. It was a herpeselect ELISA test. Are those pretty accurate at 4-6 weeks?

Thank you for any help!

WilsoInAus

There is no real doubt that the current partner is the source. It is unot feasible it was the partner from 8 weeks ago.

Many men have an oral HSV-1 infection, no reason to believe this guy doesn’t have oral herpes (at least), he will probably tell you about his cold sores if you ask.

At 4 weeks about 50% of infected people will test positive so a decent chance. As you say though 12 weeks is conclusive. I can’t believe they couldn’t type the swab with the sample they had.

PaperMoon24

Thanks for your response. I've known the new partner for many years, have never seen him with any cold sores. I'm telling him tomorrow either way but dreading it. I'm annoyed my doctor didn't test for what type either, and I didn't know to ask. 

WilsoInAus

Hope all goes well, there is no doubt he's the source. 

Although I do wonder if it is worth waiting to understand type... or did you only receive oral from this guy?

Quest

Get him tested. Get the type, who knows when you will build the antibodies?!?!

PaperMoon24

Thanks for your response. new partner denies it, never has had symptoms. but will be getting tested