World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
PREU89

How can you tell???

PREU89

Can you tell if the herpes you're diagnosed with something you got recently or a long time ago? Can the antibodies that show up in your results tell you how recent it is? I had a boyfriend almost two years ago who suffered of cold sores can he have been the one to have given me the the type 2 and is it possible that I only had symptoms now almost two years ago???

catiesmom

The only way to know how old an infection is is to get blood tested right away and have it come out negative. It takes from 4-16 weeks to develop enough antibodies to show up in a blood test, so if you can catch it in those first 4 or so weeks, you might be able to tell if it's a new infection. If you've waited over 4 weeks and test positive, there's no way to tell.

justwondering123

And yes it is possible, not the most probable if you have had recent partners though. 40% of coldsores are caused by type 2 herpes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Roja
      Why is it your worst fear to have GHSV-1? 
    • Miss Horne
      Not sure if this has already been mentioned before, could we donate to his lab? Hsv specifically? 
    • Gems
      It can be very difficult to diagnose I do not know the lab discussed here but I have read about sexual health clinics that no longer use the blood tests for this reason of false negatives. Even swabs can be hard they were in my case.  I know I have it and never resorted to the biopsy.

Do your own research and consult with GP's. I would assume you have this until its totally ruled out.  

I read about a person on this site who tested neg on the IgG and pos on the weston blot.

Please do your own research. 
    • Gems
      If it is an issue why not speak to admin about creating two separate threads...one for those looking at natural management and "supposed" natural cures and one looking at medical breakthroughs. That way both interests are served, no one is offended and people who wish to look at both can. No one is excluded and everyone included. Those who want to stay with the medical threads can. Maybe there will be less issues that way. 

Personally I would prefer not to engage with those who are seeking vaccines and gene tech ect esp if they are nasty or condescending and prefer to support and encourage like minded without the excessive debates in a supported enviro.

Just putting it out there.

@Heatbroken Sydney

• Gems
      do not panic. be more careful in future and work through the tests. you are better to assume you do and isolate a bit and watch the symptoms. it is hard to test for via blood, and swabs. weston blot is supposed to be most reliable and biopsy too although extreme. red lump that sort of crusted - well herpes symptoms vary widely. 

it can be hard to deal with doctors as they can assume you do not have it if some test come back neg...they do not always take the attitude to look for it.

do not panic and follow the steps and research.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.