World's Largest Herpes Support Group
CrisL

Is it possible for me to find out who gave me herpes?

CrisL

I am newly diagnosed. I found out tonight. I texted the 3 partners I have been with for the last few months. I told them prior to me finding out but they are all acting like I might have given them this. I did not get an outbreak until a few days after my last partner. He got tested and said the results came back negative. I had to wait a week for my results and he got them in a day. Is this normal? Could have I gotten them from a partner from months ago? I am so confused. They are treating me like I put them at risk when I have had nothing until now. My last partner told me that I was being a b- about it and the said f- you. I am so confused. Could have I known? I feel really ashamed and embarrassed about all of this. They say I have HSV-1 & 2. Do I need to get more blood work? I feel like this has ruined any chance of me being with anyone ever again. Thanks.

WilsoInAus

Hey @CrisL yes I think it’s best to circle the wagons a bit here and evaluate what you truly know.

You say you had an outbreak; was this swabbed? Was your result from a culture or a blood test?

CrisL

It was from a blood test but the sores were really bad. The doctor saw them and said that that is what they can look like but they were gone by the time I went so I got the blood test. 

WilsoInAus

It is not possible for a blood test to diagnose that soon after infection. Please get hold of a full printout of the tests, but at this stage it cannot diagnose herpes.

How quickly did the sores appear and disappear?

CrisL

Took a week. I didn't have a fever but the pain and other stuff was there so I don't see how it could be anything else. My son had an allergic reaction so I didn't sleep for about 2 days and then all of that happened so I went ahead and got blood tests. New now ex said he was negative. Should I get a second opinion? I can't see how I have HSV 1& 2 without having any breakouts EVER. 

WilsoInAus

Agreed, the following are possible explanations:

- you don’t have herpes but got a false positive on a combined IgM test

- you have childhood HSV-1 infection with no living memory of cold sores

- recent genital HSV infection (or either type).

Your blood test result might eliminate 1 or 2 of the above. You need the full test results of the IgG and IgM tests to help.

Until then please don’t talk to anyone on the topic of herpes further.

WilsoInAus

@CrisL that’s awesome. What you’re looking for are lines like the following.

HSV-1 IgG Ab 6.7 H

HSV-2 IgG Ab 0.3

HSV 1/2 IgM Ab 1.7 H

Reference range <0.9 negative ...

just relay these lines 

CrisL

All I see is HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec 11.90

and HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec 1.07

Under HSV 2 it says "A second sample should be collected and tested no less than 2-4 weeks. 

The nurse said I was positive for both. 

WilsoInAus

You carry HSV-1, no question and probably a childhood oral infection.

However your HSV-2 result is low and less than 10% of your HSV-1 result. As a result it does not confirm an infection and it’s a high chance you are negative.

it is too early after your potential outbreak though to use blood as a diagnosis. 

Hence whether you have a recent HSV-2 infection remains an open question.

CrisL

Gah! Oh well. Guess I will wait. Thanks! I thought I was reading it right but I am no doc lol 

Quest

Getting more testing means exactly that! Yes on HSV 1

Can you get the guys paperwork?

CrisL

@Quest I'm thinking that but he said his test was negative. I'm thinking he didn't get the test done. I'm over it though. There is nothing I can do so I am just going to go on with life. 

WilsoInAus
10 minutes ago, CrisL said:

@Quest I'm thinking that but he said his test was negative. I'm thinking he didn't get the test done. I'm over it though. There is nothing I can do so I am just going to go on with life. 

For sure you can cut him out of the equation, in the end what is relevant is what if anything has been transmitted to you.

But let’s all calm down a bit. Everyone’s actions and reactions are unreasoned at this stage.

There is no confirmation that HSV-2 is at play here, you will need a 12-16 week blood test to show a strong positive on HSV-2 to reach that conclusion.

Dee22

Hi 

its all really confusing but what i realized is if it is not active as in if u are not having an out reak u can be swabbed and t negative. So your mostvrecent oartner may have had a swab and test negative but may actually have it and not realize. So ppl shld not be so rude to u as they can actually pass it in as sometimes ppl have it without knowing  that is why it soreads so much.