World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Pomegranate: "Natural" Aciclovir?

Roja

Hey everyone, 

last week I ate a huge amount of pomegranate and after some days I noticed that I had absolutely no issues, pain or anything "down there". I got curious about it and searched for information about it, and look what I found! 

They tried pomegranate rind extract (PRE) and punicalagin (both can be found in Pomegranate) as well as zinc and look what they found out:

However, antiviral data showed that punicalagin had significantly lower antiviral activity compared to the activity of PRE (EC50 = 0.56 μg mL-1) a value comparable to aciclovir (EC50 = 0.18 μg mL-1)

PRE Comparable to Aciclovir

Together with the current antiviral and virucidal data against HSV and aciclovir-resistant HSV, the co-administration of PRE or punicalagin has potential as a novel multi-functional topical therapeutic for coldsores; there is also potential in the treatment of anogenital herpes and viral keratitis. 

So guys, has anyone taken any supplements similar to that? I am really curious about it! 

That's the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5493292/ 

leeRW
36 minutes ago, Roja said:

Hey everyone, 

last week I ate a huge amount of pomegranate and after some days I noticed that I had absolutely no issues, pain or anything "down there". I got curious about it and searched for information about it, and look what I found! 

They tried pomegranate rind extract (PRE) and punicalagin (both can be found in Pomegranate) as well as zinc and look what they found out:

PRE Comparable to Aciclovir

So guys, has anyone taken any supplements similar to that? I am really curious about it! 

That's the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5493292/ 

I'm taking the extract from life essentials 400 mg a day soft gels for its health benefits. Didn't know about this study. I've only been on it for about a month. So far so good.

Roja
16 hours ago, leeRW said:

I'm taking the extract from life essentials 400 mg a day soft gels for its health benefits. Didn't know about this study. I've only been on it for about a month. So far so good.

Hey leeRW! 

Sounds great, keep us updated please!! :-)