World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
amsb88

Confused...

amsb88

I haven’t been diagnosed yet, but 99% positive I have genital HSV 1 from oral sex.. the guy gets cold sores frequently and says he has never had any sign of an OB in the genital area and I believe him so I’m pretty sure he only has HSV 1... I have never had cold sores.  I recently just experienced my first genital OB and it lasted about 2 1/2- 3 wks.. the sores only lasted about 2 weeks and were gone.. I experienced some nerve pain and tingling all over my body randomly (not just in my lower extremities) during this time I also noticed some mild tingling around my mouth but never seen the slightest sign of a bump or sore.. the sores were only in my genital area.. well I think I have been over the OB for about a week and a half now and last night and today I have felt some nerve pain and tingling again in random places on my body and some around my mouth too.. but slightly milder than what I felt a few weeks ago with the Initial OB.. I have two questions... 1.) is it possible that I got it in the genital and oral area?... just concerned because the tingling near my mouth now and then and 2.) am I already having another OB since I’m feeling the milder nerve pain and tingling all over (but no sores) or is this just a lasting affect from the virus itself and my body trying to get use to it?  Any thoughts or common experiences would help, thanks! 

WilsoInAus

Did you get a swab? Have you ever had a blood test for HSV?

It is quite possible to be infected in multiple locations at once, not that likely, but possible. You would have outbreaks in those locations.

Hence it is not so likely that you have been infected other than where the sores emerged. As you say, the toxic shock of an immune system ramping up may explain symptoms elsewhere in/on your body.

amsb88

I didn’t have a swab test done, I didn’t realize this was the best way to test until the sores were almost healed and they are completely gone now.. I want to have another test done to know for sure which hsv type I have for sure.. even though I’m almost positive it’s hsv 1... I’ve read that it can take hsv 2 antibodies sometimes up to 4 months to show up in a blood test.. is this true? When do you recommend I have that test done? Or is there another type of test to have done without sores to swab? @WilsoInAus

WilsoInAus

@amsb88 the issue will be that if your test comes up positive for HSV-1, there will still be the open question as to whether you have an oral infection from your childhood with no living memory of symptoms (of which there are about 2 billion people in the world like this!!).

The best thing you can do is get an IgG test now, I mean today! Otherwise you will have no benchmark for a later test.

From there you would then repeat the testing at week 12.

amsb88

@WilsoInAusIs that the standard test they do if I were to go to a clinic, or do I have to ask for this specific test and also what will show up in 12 weeks or what will I need to look for in the difference in the one today and in 12 weeks? 

WilsoInAus

Today’s test will need to be negative for HSV-1 IgG antibodies and then be positive to confirm a recent infection.

If you are in the US your doctor can order this test from any pathology provider. In other countries you may need to access the test through a private health clinic.

The test you are after is Herpeselect IgG antibodies type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. See what they say. It must be this test (or something equivalent) for it to be of any use.

amsb88

@WilsoInAus so if the test comes back positive for HSV 1 antibodies that means I contracted it over 12 weeks ago? 

WilsoInAus
32 minutes ago, amsb88 said:

@WilsoInAus so if the test comes back positive for HSV 1 antibodies that means I contracted it over 12 weeks ago? 

Well more than 4 weeks most certainly.