World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Lucy29

Vacyclvior vs acyclovir

Lucy29

Hi everyone 

I have had HSV2 since I was 18 nearly 29 now for the first 7 years I didn’t have any obs no prodomes basically forgot I had this virus near enough. I turned 25 and I started getting out  breaks almost monthly.

i started suppression in May 2016 acyclovir twice a day it seemed to work I haven’t had a single blister since starting however I started to get constant prodomes in my legs I’ve read up on the nerve pain and it doesn’t sound like the typical herpes nerve pain it’s just shooting pains and often goes to other areas apart from my legs. I also started getting a constant itch but I examined with a strong light and I couldn’t see anything no cuts no sores notning. 

Anyway I live in the UK but wanted to try vavyclvior it is very expensive they won’t prescribe it’s cost me £97 for a months worth but I couldn’t deal with the itch and shooting pains so I thought let me give   it a ago.

i have been taken 1 gram for the last week and nearly all my symptoms have completely gone and I was on my period which usually makes it worse. I am happy about this but im worried about keeping up the cost but more so the side effects. Is this dose safe ? I have googled a lot of things and read about physcosis from Valtrex depression etc I am very worried about this. I didn’t have any side effects from being on Aycivlior for nearly 2 years.. 

any advice is appreciated 

Thanks   

Scooby2112

I would consider dropping to 500 mg/day.  That is the standard suppressive dose.  To see how it goes   You could further drop down to 250 mg (half  pill) and taper down to none to see if it stays good   

1g is used for those with greater than 9 outbreaks per year.  Or as a ten day episodic treatment.  It is also used for HIV patients.  

Lucy29
1 hour ago, Scooby2112 said:

I would consider dropping to 500 mg/day.  That is the standard suppressive dose.  To see how it goes   You could further drop down to 250 mg (half  pill) and taper down to none to see if it stays good   

1g is used for those with greater than 9 outbreaks per year.  Or as a ten day episodic treatment.  It is also used for HIV patients.  

Would you say 1 gram is not safe then ? I did try 500mg but I was still getting the itch and the leg pains. I did read it is for those who have greater than 9  a year but  as I was having constant itch and leg pain I assumed I was always having out  breaks 

Scooby2112

Give it it a couple months at 1g.  Then I would consider trying to lower to 500mg.  It’s not that it’s not “safe” but it is always better to use the lowest effective dose.  

Once you have established a good consistent place it may be worth trying to dial it back.  That way you can go back up during episodes.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Ribbon35
      By Ribbon35
      Since May I have been taking Valtrex. At first it was 500mg once a day then it increased to 1000mg once a day in June after frequent outbreaks persisted. I've had a total of 9 outbreaks since May and was diagnosed with hsv2 in March of this year.  The past three weeks I've had severe dizziness, especially when lying down and getting up in the mornings. Today my doctor suggested taking acyclovir 400mg twice a day. Has anyone switched from acyclovir to valtrex and experienced better results/less breakouts?
    • Nej
      By Nej
      I've seen some people say things like "I pop an antiviral before I get a bikini wax". Does taking an anti viral before a potentially OB triggering activity work? It's not something you have to take every day and build up in your system to work?

I was just diagnosed and I'm having my first outbreak. They gave me valtrex to take for 10 days . Not sure if I should ask for another script for days when I ride my bike or other things like that 
    • eitak90
      By eitak90
      I had a two week checkup today from my initial dx of HSVII. My doctor initially didn't want to have me on valtrex daily, but today he decided that he wanted to keep me on it across the board. 
      - does this mean I am less of a risk during sex?
      - any particular side effects I should be concerned with while taking Valtrex?
    • LynnT
      By LynnT
      Hi, does anyone know how long you need to take acyclovir for it to become effective at suppressing asymptomatic shedding?
      I have had hsv2 for 12 years, no OB ever, never transmitted to any exes despite no protection or med usage (their choice of course). 
      Now I am with a new partner and we want to be very careful despite my "good" history. So I said I would take acyclovir as a preventative measure. The thing is we don't see each other often cus he lives out of town. And any visits are planned well in advance. So I'm wondering when in advance of his visit I would need to start the twice daily dosage, to be at full effectiveness at time of intercourse. I can't find any info online about this. Can anyone advise? Should I start taking 3 days before sex? 1 day? 1 week? Thanks in advance!!
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD?
    Get started with testing options here

• WilsoInAus
      @clarke53 without a swab that’s a hugely risky call!
    • clarke53
      ok so you must know 13 years ago i did something ill regret the rest of my like before that night ive never had any kinda sore on my lips and ive never had anything on my genitals ive had tons of blow jobs from women and never gave them anything because i don't have genital herpes so one night i seen a shemale and gave oral 2 days later i had burning on inside of lip and a ulcer there and i don't go a week or so without a outbreak so about a month or so later i was tested for herpes and came back nigitive for hsv 1 and positive for hsv2  to this day ive had blow jobs no condom and ive never gave any girl anything so i know i don't have genital herpes!!  
    • blurneworder
      How long has this happened to you? What was swabbed? Results yet?
    • hobson
      Hi all  i have been to a doctor on 4 seperate occasions since I had unprotected sex with a woman who I later found out has herpes . They have said “it doesn’t look” like herpes . My penis always is red , inflamed anabolic has little red pimples on it.  I am constant uncomfort and pain in my gential areas, tingling , fatigue . None of the drs have done a blood test. I have researched DNA testing as they appear more accurate. I saw a dr this week and he took a swab. It’s always on my mind now because I have just started a relationship and don’t know if I should tell her. I’m scared she will run a mile . I haven’t told her because the dr said I was fine . I don’t know what do to do .  Any advice would be appreciated . I have a history with depression and this is adding to it 
    • WilsoInAus
      @clarke53 why do you think you do not have an asymptomatic genital infection. The mouth sores don’t seem to be herpetic.  What protection do you use genitally?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.