World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Lucy29

Vacyclvior vs acyclovir

Lucy29

Hi everyone 

I have had HSV2 since I was 18 nearly 29 now for the first 7 years I didn’t have any obs no prodomes basically forgot I had this virus near enough. I turned 25 and I started getting out  breaks almost monthly.

i started suppression in May 2016 acyclovir twice a day it seemed to work I haven’t had a single blister since starting however I started to get constant prodomes in my legs I’ve read up on the nerve pain and it doesn’t sound like the typical herpes nerve pain it’s just shooting pains and often goes to other areas apart from my legs. I also started getting a constant itch but I examined with a strong light and I couldn’t see anything no cuts no sores notning. 

Anyway I live in the UK but wanted to try vavyclvior it is very expensive they won’t prescribe it’s cost me £97 for a months worth but I couldn’t deal with the itch and shooting pains so I thought let me give   it a ago.

i have been taken 1 gram for the last week and nearly all my symptoms have completely gone and I was on my period which usually makes it worse. I am happy about this but im worried about keeping up the cost but more so the side effects. Is this dose safe ? I have googled a lot of things and read about physcosis from Valtrex depression etc I am very worried about this. I didn’t have any side effects from being on Aycivlior for nearly 2 years.. 

any advice is appreciated 

Thanks   

Scooby2112

I would consider dropping to 500 mg/day.  That is the standard suppressive dose.  To see how it goes   You could further drop down to 250 mg (half  pill) and taper down to none to see if it stays good   

1g is used for those with greater than 9 outbreaks per year.  Or as a ten day episodic treatment.  It is also used for HIV patients.  

Lucy29
1 hour ago, Scooby2112 said:

I would consider dropping to 500 mg/day.  That is the standard suppressive dose.  To see how it goes   You could further drop down to 250 mg (half  pill) and taper down to none to see if it stays good   

1g is used for those with greater than 9 outbreaks per year.  Or as a ten day episodic treatment.  It is also used for HIV patients.  

Would you say 1 gram is not safe then ? I did try 500mg but I was still getting the itch and the leg pains. I did read it is for those who have greater than 9  a year but  as I was having constant itch and leg pain I assumed I was always having out  breaks 

Scooby2112

Give it it a couple months at 1g.  Then I would consider trying to lower to 500mg.  It’s not that it’s not “safe” but it is always better to use the lowest effective dose.  

Once you have established a good consistent place it may be worth trying to dial it back.  That way you can go back up during episodes.