World's Largest Herpes Support Group
LeftCoast

CRISPR breakthrough: gene edited babies HIV

LeftCoast

raka

can we try crispr on ourself?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/24/josiah-zayner-diy-gene-editing-therapy-crispr-interview

i read this article. 

KG303
4 hours ago, raka said:

Hi, they didn't mention anything about HSV in the article?

No they didn’t, but crispr for sure has the ability to at LEAST give us a functional cure so this is great news. Could be a whole game changer to get the trials started faster and this is a great step. I still feel like it may need more work when it comes to HSV, cause from what I’ve heard crispr can’t touch the latent virus yet. But this is still such a big step! Shows us that it is may be possible soon. Now hopefully the ones who are researching the cure for HSV using crispr are gonna step their game up and also hoping that they deem it to be 100% safe. Fingers crossed!

readytostart

I was thinking about Aaron TRaywick and the herpes vaccine he self administered...the people who crated the vaccine, for what I´ve read, don´t have medical background. After reading this news about china, it seems people are talking about ethical issues, but not legal issues...then, what about the traywick vaccine? did it work? side effects? and if it did work, would for ascendance be ilegal to sell it? I read they planned to do trials in mexico, but I suppose its not the classical Phase 1-2-3 trial...are theygoing ahead with their plans ??

LeftCoast

It sounds like what has happened in China is an ethical shit show. News outlets all over the world are reporting today. 

I’m gonna hold out for excision to do their trials. 2021 seems far away but it appears to be the better shot. 

Just super curious what’s gonna happen with these crispr babies now...

readytostart

well I hope it isn´t so, but I feel this china babies yhing is not going to benefit us hsv sufferers...as seen before, it just takes a step in the wrong direction to slow things up, and this is taking too long by now.

It´s about time to have a significant change in the way of managing this virus..

LeftCoast
2 hours ago, readytostart said:

well I hope it isn´t so, but I feel this china babies yhing is not going to benefit us hsv sufferers...as seen before, it just takes a step in the wrong direction to slow things up, and this is taking too long by now.

It´s about time to have a significant change in the way of managing this virus..

Hmmmm, who knows. The CRISPR stock shot up yesterday. 

Maybe more people want to make investments in the technology...

raka

can we contact these chinese guys, i am willing to take a risk if they are working on HSV2 

Jimmyjimmyhuapua
17 hours ago, readytostart said:

I was thinking about Aaron TRaywick and the herpes vaccine he self administered...the people who crated the vaccine, for what I´ve read, don´t have medical background. After reading this news about china, it seems people are talking about ethical issues, but not legal issues...then, what about the traywick vaccine? did it work? side effects? and if it did work, would for ascendance be ilegal to sell it? I read they planned to do trials in mexico, but I suppose its not the classical Phase 1-2-3 trial...are theygoing ahead with their plans ??

As you know vaccine was tested on Aaron and he died before he announce the results. Maybe it became succesfull none of us will know it. But there is a realtiy crispr is really something working

raka

i am looking through the internet why everyone on the internet criticizing him- He Jiankui. he took a step no one is willing to take? there are many people dying out there without a cure. ofcourse there is a risk. there is a risk everywhere. even for the small surgeries doctors make us to sign the papers before they are not responsible if anything happens. 

i encourage people like He Jiankui, if the people are willing to take the risk then why there should be a restriction

Cas9
41 minutes ago, raka said:

i am looking through the internet why everyone on the internet criticizing him- He Jiankui. he took a step no one is willing to take? there are many people dying out there without a cure. ofcourse there is a risk. there is a risk everywhere. even for the small surgeries doctors make us to sign the papers before they are not responsible if anything happens. 

i encourage people like He Jiankui, if the people are willing to take the risk then why there should be a restriction

And who do you think is the subject of the risk?

readytostart

I don´t know what all this is going to mean, but I hope two things: I hope this doesn´t affect the actual research by being stopped or putting barriers to research, and I also hope this encourages alternative researchers to move on since apparently there is no legal issue with it.

readytostart

It seems that there´s going to be an investigation and consequences to the scientific who did the experiment, also probably a harder regulation in the research, so...not good news, evem if the experiment is succesful. That´s sad, since China was ahead on crispr research.

MikeHerp

It’s encouraging that crispr can handle hsv. But so far, it hasn’t proven it can touch latent virus. So it’s unclear whether it is a viable solution, since it’s unlikely that FDA would allow crispr be introduced permanently expressing cas9 and editing continuously to stop replication. It’s unclear whether having crispr be used one time is safe, let alone permanently editing in our bodies. Because of that, I don’t think excisionbio’s proposed solution, wpild be viable without further tweaks or increases in crispr safety etc.

Still, it’s good that researchers have another tool to play with in relation to HSV. This tool didn’t exist until recently.   In that sense, there is progress. 

Atrapasueños

No tiene nada que ver un embrión con un cuerpo ya desarrollado, aparte  lo que hizo el científico chino es anti ético pero en realidad no veo que alguien esté buscando una solución para el hsv sean realistas todos los científicos tienen otras prioridades 

It has nothing to do with an embryo and an already developed body, apart from what the Chinese scientist did is unethical but I do not really see that someone is looking for a solution for the hsv be realistic all scientists have other priorities

RNY18

Latest CRISPR news :

https://www.genomeweb.com/gene-silencinggene-editing/crispr-researchers-engineer-cas12b-ortholog-human-genome-editing

Researchers led by the Broad Institute's Feng Zhang have engineered an ortholog of the CRISPR nuclease Cas12b, making its genome editing activity in human cell lines and ex vivo in primary human T cells more robust.”...

Can anyone interpret what this means ?

Cas9
32 minutes ago, RNY18 said:

Latest CRISPR news :

https://www.genomeweb.com/gene-silencinggene-editing/crispr-researchers-engineer-cas12b-ortholog-human-genome-editing

Researchers led by the Broad Institute's Feng Zhang have engineered an ortholog of the CRISPR nuclease Cas12b, making its genome editing activity in human cell lines and ex vivo in primary human T cells more robust.”...

Edited by Cas9

Evaluate
4 hours ago, RNY18 said:

https://www.france24.com/en/20190122-chinas-second-gene-edited-foetus-12-14-weeks-old-scientist

World's first gene edited babies...

And yet, no one has beaten the HSV ???

We do not know enough about the Chinese study to say whether anything was successful.  Nothing was third-party supervised/verified and the entire study was condemned internationally.  While I think gene-editing is promising and ground breaking, this is not a researcher who has done anything except set every ethical review board on high alert.

Evaluate
7 hours ago, RNY18 said:

Latest CRISPR news :

Translation: we made yet another improvement to gene editing technology (cas) that is not yet tested in anything outside a petri dish.

RNY18

Latest CRISPR news :

https://www.genomeweb.com/gene-silencinggene-editing/horizon-discovery-rutgers-collaborate-commercialize-crispr-base-editing#.XE9Ivi2ZPOQ

"Base editing is potentially transformative for all gene editing technologies with the potential to help target many diseases that to date have no treatment. As a world leader in the field of gene editing and gene modulation, both in research and applied markets, we are very excited to partner with Dr. Jin and Rutgers University," Horizon CEO Terry Pizzie said in a statement..."

f*ckedOver
10 hours ago, RNY18 said:

Latest CRISPR news :

https://www.genomeweb.com/gene-silencinggene-editing/horizon-discovery-rutgers-collaborate-commercialize-crispr-base-editing#.XE9Ivi2ZPOQ

"Base editing is potentially transformative for all gene editing technologies with the potential to help target many diseases that to date have no treatment. As a world leader in the field of gene editing and gene modulation, both in research and applied markets, we are very excited to partner with Dr. Jin and Rutgers University," Horizon CEO Terry Pizzie said in a statement..."

Does anyone have access to the full article, it won't let me read it without an account???

Edited by f*ckedOver

RNY18

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb) – Gene editing firm Horizon Discovery and Rutgers University announced today that they have signed a partnership deal to commercialize a gene editing technology developed in the lab of Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School pharmacology associate professor Shengkan Jin.

The base editing platform — which modifies genes by creating single point mutations in DNA without making double-stranded breaks — has potential applications in the development of new cell therapies and will augment Horizon's research tools and services, the company said.

Horizon plans to collaborate with Rutgers to further develop the technology, and work toward commercializing it. As part of the agreement, Horizon has made a non-material payment to Rutgers for an option to exclusively license the base editing technology for use in all therapeutic applications. Horizon's own researchers will also conduct evaluation and proof of concept studies while the firm funds further research in base editing at Rutgers.

"Base editing is potentially transformative for all gene editing technologies with the potential to help target many diseases that to date have no treatment. As a world leader in the field of gene editing and gene modulation, both in research and applied markets, we are very excited to partner with Dr. Jin and Rutgers University," Horizon CEO Terry Pizzie said in a statement.

"By extending our scientific and IP capabilities, Horizon will now be able to more fully support our pharma, biotech, and academic partners to deliver better cell therapy solutions to patients," Pizzie added. "As part of our five-year investment strategy, Horizon committed to investing in high-value technologies that maintain our market leadership; base editing technology is a perfect example of that."

Jin also noted that the cytidine deaminase version of the technology could be useful in creating ex vivo therapeutics for sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia, HIV-resistant cells, and CAR-T cells for leukemia, as well as in vivo therapeutics for inherited genetic diseases..."