World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Justdesserts

Travelling with Herpes

Justdesserts

Not sure what you folks will make of this but I am about to go for an overseas trip that was arranged before my first outbreak .

I am now having my second outbreak three weeks before the trip and dont want to just sit in a hotel room feeling depressed while my friends are out partying and having fun .

I am going to see my doctor and see if I can get some more Aciclovir or anything else he can suggest , and was also thinking of getting some Lysine supliments .

Any comments would be appreciated.

lilanne19

I just came back from vacationing out of country. Unfortunately, I was having my very first hsv1 outbreak. But I didn't let it waste one minute of my vacation. I'll always have herpes, so I refused to let it ruin my vacation. However, I did wish I'd bought stuff with me like that dynamiclear since it's supposed to be good but I had my lysine, olive leaf and vitamin c and had a ball. I'm not saying it wasn't embarrassing but I didn't let it stop me. So when you go on vacation, enjoy yourself. Do you really think you'll be the only one there with herpes?

Justdesserts

Hi thanks for the reply , I'm making myself be positive about the situation but will take things as it comes.

I know I wont be the only one with Herpes (where I'm going) but I may have to show a couple of previous partners who will want more attention than I will be able to give .:(

lilanne19

I can relate

Personally, I didn't tell anybody what the bump on my face was from. It was hideous!! Right by my nose so it didn't look like a cold sore, I just told everyone it was a spider bite. I was just diagnosed in September and I'm definitely not ready to start letting everyone know that I have this. As far as your friend(s) (no judgement LOL) wanting extra attention well I don't know. I went with an ex and I'm sure he was expecting a little extra attention but I took pj's and let him know that nothing was happening as soon as I got there. It's a rough spot especially if you've had relations before (as i have with my ex) so I can definitely relate. I've known my ex for 10 years but I wasn't about to tell him. It's just so personal and I didn't want him to look at me differently. I preferred him to think I was being moody. It's like I'm ok with the fact that I have it now (in theory) but I just don't want anyone to think of me as damaged goods. He may have been ok with it but I'm not at that point. I've only told the guy that I'm seeing now (because I had to, I found out early in our relationship and we'd already slept together. No judgement :)) But as far as telling anyone else I'm not there yet. In the end it's a personal choice. You may be a stronger person than I am. I know I'm not being really helpful but I'm just being honest.

lady lightness

I spent 3 months traveling- right before I left I decided not to take daily valtrex- I brought along herbal supplements and topical salve that a naturopath gave me- I had many OBs while I traveled- it cut out a couple days total where I needed to not walk (!) anywhere and so I lay low in my guesthouse, reading books and drinking tea. lysine works for some, as does acyclovir, as does diet modifications, as does stress reduction. have fun!

Justdesserts

I saw the Doc and got three months worth of Aciclovir . I told him that I had considered cancelling the trip but he said I should go and enjoy myself . So I am looking forward to it now .

Not sure how much attention I will be giving out as I still have a couple of week before going away so have a good chance to recover . Not sure I really want to tell my friend or should I just avoid her ? I Doubt she would like that :cry: so maybe I should drink enough that I can't perform . :rolleyes:

annyi

I went to my diving trip worrying the hell about OBs!! I brought loads of valtrex, lysine, vitamines, olive leaf, purell, aloe vera, tiger balm, bandaids of various size... you name it. And I carried a liter bottle of water EVERYWHERE! And I survived the Mexican sun and totally enjoyed my trip with no OB!! Actually it was the first break off my monthly cycle of OBs. Do a thorough preparation and you will enjoy your vacation! As for your friend, if you are not ready to talk about it, "drink enough" may be a good method to get her just hugging, that can be just as sweet! On discussion about the thing, it is whole another topic to learn about! But first enjoy your time away...

Justdesserts

Valtrex is not on sale here and I cannot find Lysine so am just going to take the Aciclovir and hope it works as I am making good progress with healing now. :D

Justdesserts

I just had a thought , were there any problems with bringing medication through customs, or any awkward questions about having herpes?

Relieved&Hopefull

I've never been questioned about my prescriptions at airport security checkpoints or at customs, but I would advise you to carry them in the prescription bottle, so it can be verified that you have a valid prescription for the medication.

BoxofRain

I wouldnt take them in the carry on bag just in case they search your carry ons in the security line....might be awkward. I would just put it in the suit case and check the bag. If it is searched, at least you wont be there to be embarassed and when they see the valtrex prescription bottle i doubt they will question it.....im sure a lot of people are on it.

trying2bpositive

on the topic of what works..

Hi!

I have been desperately wondering if anyone has actually used dynamiclear and if it worked for them or not? I have read the testimonials on their website but I want to hear it from real people- the honest truth. I feel really hopeless at the moment and everything I've read about dynamiclear sounds almost too good to be true, but it is alot of money to fork out for something that does nothing. Anyone had any luck?

All thought and experiences GREATLY appreciated! Thankyou