World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
1stAnd10

Husband: 1st OB. Diagnosed: HSV-1 Neg; HSV-2 Positive. Wife? - Thoughts? Advice?

1stAnd10

FIRST TIME TO WEBSITE. HELP....  Had a single small spot show up on my penis.  Never had anything like it occur previously.  Showed up the morning after having oral and vaginal sex with my wife, each of the two previous days, like 6 hours after intercourse.  Went to my doctor the next day and he was unsure but suggested testing for HSV-1 and HSV-2 as precaution.  Lab Test Results:

IGG HSV-1 = <0.90 Negative 

IGG HSV-2 = 9.55 (>1.09)

Needless to say I'm trying to wrap my brain around all of this....   Is it possible the above is a false positive?  Have been tested in past and been negative.   I don't know how I contracted it.  All very upsetting but my real concern is my wife. 

I'm married in a monogamous relationship and have not been with anyone else for over 3 years.  My wife and I are very sexually active, having sex multiple times a week most weeks since August 2015.  I think the longest we have gone without sex is like 2 weeks and that's been very rare.  My wife has oral cold sore out breaks multiple times a year but to my knowledge hasn't had any genital herpe symptoms and has never been tested for HSV 1 or 2. 

What is the likelihood my wife has HSV-2?  That she contacted HSV-2 from me, that I contracted it from her or that we both came into the relationship with it?  The reality is none of this really matters, I'm just so upset that it involves her.  My worst nightmare. 

Since the spot popped up I have refrained from being sexual with my wife.  Felt like it would be a breach of trust to be sexual with her without telling her there could be an issue. I wanted the test results first and wanted to discuss with her so, if there was an issue, we could work through this together.  Its been two weeks and she has started making comments about not having sex and asking if something is wrong SO I have to address this now.  

Shouldn't she go to the dr? Shouldn't we go together?  Shouldn't she get tested?

My doctor, whom she goes to for general stuff as well, has acted like no big deal.  Told me I could have had this for years or gotten it six months ago, no one knows for sure and people have this and deal with this all the time.  Obviously, if she is negative iy can't be a resent infection. He has suggested  suppression therapy of 500mg Valacycovir daily for each of us.

Any thoughts or comments? Thank you.

WilsoInAus

Hey @1stAnd10 and welcome. You have quite a story and exactly in the frame for a lot of assistance from members.

Your result is positive, no question. Only a lab mixup could see you truly negative. That’s rare, but you may consider a second test as confirmation.

A result like that indicates an established infection.

Next steps? Depends on a lot of things. I’m tempted to just say ask your wife to test so you have full facts. However the do nothing strategy may also be appropriate.

Maybe one question that may help. Are you from a high incidence background? (Such as African or South American?) 

1stAnd10

No.  I'm just your typical small town middle class America. 

Also, I was previouly married for 8 years and have two daughters from that marriage ages 13 and 8. Only 3 other sexual partners between marriages.  All women, and daughters, for that matter, have oral cold sores outbreaks.  Not sure if type 1 or 2.  To much info.... sorry. 

That's my 15 year sexual history.

WilsoInAus

That’s a pretty common history! 

Oral cold sore outbreaks are almost always HSV-1. 

I’d suggest a reason you have not contracted HSV-1 yourself is that you have HSV-2 that provides a lot of protection.

So back to you and your wife. My usual advice in these circumstances is just forget about it. You have both made vows for better or for worse. Sounds like you have a great life together, especially sexual. What would either of you want to be different? Just shred the test result and live on, come what may.

The alternative is for her to test and determine status and then decide what prevention methods are appropriate for you. You can still revert to Plan A above if you choose.

1stAnd10

WilsoInAus, let me just say that I greatly appreciate you trying to educate and help people.  I have read many of your post and it has helped tremendously.  Thank you.  

In futherance of my questions above.  Is it more likely than not my wife has HSV-2 either from previously having it or being exposed to it by me given the amount of time and sexual activity? 

Also, would your comments hold equally true that if she didn't have HSV-2 her cold sores would be caused by HSV-1 which may provide protection against the HSV-2?  

That plus suppression therapy....

Sorry about the additional questions.  Your advice seems to make perfect sense.  I'm just trying to put myself in her shoes to better understand what she is going to have to reconcile.  She is strong, loyal, loving and without a doubt my rock.  It's just that sex is a big part of our relationship and I don't want this to impact her or us.  Wishful thinking.

Again thanks for your help. 

WilsoInAus

@1stAnd10 please keep asking as many of these great questions. Hopefully they are helping you in your thinking around the virus.

Just a minor point I want to put forward. Over 97% of HSV-2 infections are genital. The virus can infect other parts of the body though if that body part is actively rubbed on an infected area. This includes the oral region (head) for a baby born to a HSV-2 mother or giving oral sex to an woman with genital HSV-2 - maybe even the fingers. This is all such low odds, but it might trigger some thoughts.

All up, I think it is a 50/50 call as to whether to whether your wife has HSV-2. 

The figures do not seem to bear out the HSV-1 provides any protection from a HSV-2 infection. The same proportion of people with HSV-1 have HSV-2 as for those who do not have HSV-1. You’d expect to see those with HSV-1 have a lower incidence of HSV-2, but we don’t see that. Hope that makes sense. It is funny how the reverse though (HSV-2 provides protection for HSV-1) does seem to be true. It is best to assume that HSV-1 provides no protection from HSV-2.

Suppression is good, as are condoms. You would only consider taking suppression of course should your wife tests negative for HSV-2. There is no point an uninflected person taking antivirals, they have no preventative effect.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• TerribleAtUserNames
      By TerribleAtUserNames
      Hi there, 
      Long time lurker, first time poster, and I'll keep it simple and condensed. 
      I've only signed up because I realize the depths of suffering some people are in, trying all sorts of desperate treatments, and I've basically been sitting on something that has taken me to near 0 outbreaks (hsv1 genital).
      When I first got infected some years back, I had an atypical presentation--no pain or itching, but permanently there. Bumps going up and down within the same day even, but pretty much permanently covering the head of my penis. Doctor swabbed it--came back hsv 1; he said it looked like it to him too. 
      Now to the meat of it--rubbing alcohol.
      Its simple, and I'm pretty surprised that I've only seen it mentioned once here--a woman was talking about it, so I assume it works for girls too. I apply once daily, to once every 3 days, and that keeps me pretty much permanently outbreak free. 
      It quite literally went from every day broken out for me to just about nothing. Anyway, to the what and where of it all... 

I use 99% isopropyl. 70% seems good too. I now have a spray bottle, but used to just dump it on the head and roll my foreskin up over it for like 20ish seconds--whatever process is actually happening, I like to think I'm facilitating absorption into the soft tissue by doing this and wreaking havoc on the virus. Obviously, you may have to do it a bit differently, genital depending.
      I've been doing this treatment for a few years now, so it has staying power. I read once that herpes is shreded by alcohol, so if true, I guess that explains it? However, iterupting regular treatment seems to have anecdotally, but not with great surety, made the herpes a bit less suceptible to the alcohol upon resumption. 
      Yes, it burns terribly at first. Over time it gets better. Some days it still really burns, and in those cases I advise listening to your body and cutting the countdown short. Other than that, it feels really damn good to basically tell herpes to eff off. 
      I don't know what kind of health risks there are. Or whether using a high % grain (drinking) alcohol would work / be healthier. I advise asking your doctor--afterall, alchohol is implicated in throat cancer. Who knows if 20-30 seconds daily on your junk can do something too. 
      But for those who struggle constantly, I truly hope this can help someone other than just me. 

I also hope that this finds its way to the right forum. I wanted it in a place where casual, straight from Google, viewers would see it when they came here, and I'm hoping--and asking, please--that if I didn't get it in the right place, a moderator can instead. And, should it help as I suggest, perhaps even stickying it one day. 
      I'm sorry in advance, I'm not a big forum person and don't come here crazy often. It just felt like something I should do for everyone else's sake. Hopefully you can excuse me if I'm an absentee topic starter. 
      Thanks for reading,
      - Taylor

Edit:
      I forgot to add in any negative effects I've experienced. 
      Sometimes, if its burning more than usual and I leave it too long, it does make the skin pinker than it should be, and sore. 
      The big question, what about loss of sensitivity? I worried that may happen, and its possible actually that I've lost some amount. But if I have, it wasn't even enough to remember when posting this originally, hahaha.
      Still every body is different, so I can only speak for me. But yes, for me, my sensitivity down there is still in great shape. 
      Over the last few years I've on average had less stiff erections, and dysfunction, which I never had before. However, I've also been less physically healthy, I've been mentally disengaged and highly anxious around sex and sexuality (and when I'm not anxious, it often improves quite a bit), I read once that herpes itself can actually cause forms of ED, and I'm also now out of my 20's, so... 
      Possibly related? But also very possibly unrelated to the alcohol. I'm biased though, both in mentality and my words here. So, perhaps consult a doctor if you're concerned. 
      Cheers! 
    • Charla
      By Charla
      Recently had my first big outbreak (I had a scare of what I thought could have been one last month but even though I got swabbed asap tested it came back negative). After about a week into the outbreak on my genitals I then had an oral outbreak (never had a cold sore before at least to my awareness). While I am on antivirals (taken the day the cold sore showed and the genitals have started clearing this oral one just seems to be getting worse. The nurse said it was likely HSV-2 but I am still waiting for my results. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to cope with this oral outbreak? I am currently staying at my boyfriends' house and am worried it will travel from inner lip/mouth to be more visible, the idea of his parents seeing it fills me with dread.
      Also, any good websites/blogs/youtubers to follow to give me a little more hope to this all. 
    • ManagingIllness
      By ManagingIllness
      Full paper here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X18315652
      Note sure if anyone wrote about this. I couldn't find any results for VC2 in the site's search. This is a live attenuated vaccine from Louisiana State University. The results do not seem super promising, as reducing shedding/recurrance by < 70% pre-clinical is common in many discontinued vaccines. Still, research is being done, which is always great!
      Prophylactic conclusions:
      "Our studies also showed that VC2 vaccine decreases the clinical severity of acute and recurrent HSV-2 disease in guinea pigs when provided by intramuscular vaccination. During the primary infection, animals vaccinated with VC2 had a significant decrease in clinical severity and replicating virus in the vaginal vault. Prophylactic vaccination also decreased the quantity of virus in the DRGs when compared to the No Treatment group. The ability to protect neural tissue from latent infection probably contributed to the decrease in the number of animals with recurrent lesions by 67% and the number of days with recurrent vaginal shedding by 46%. This reduction in shedding is particularly important because transmission of HSV-2 to uninfected persons is largely due to asymptomatic shedding [38], [39]."
      Theraputic conclusions:
      "When tested as a therapeutic vaccine, i.e., one designed to decrease recurrent disease and recurrent virus shedding in those already infected with HSV, the VC2 vaccine was not effective although it did reduce recurrent shedding, at least when compared to the gD2 vaccine. This may be because live attenuated vaccines have only limited replication in hosts that are already infected and thus do not have much of an impact in improving the immune response. Because infected hosts have frequent reactivations of virus that would be similar to a live vaccine inoculation it may be difficult for the vaccine to improve the immune response unless it is able to induce responses not activated by the host’s recurrent virus replication."
    • dflghdfgl
      By dflghdfgl
      48 hours ago I noticed an odd pattern of red, slightly raised marks on my inner thigh next to my testicles. (The smaller red bumps above it are from shaving and usually happen appear for a couple days then diminish)
      Went to walk-in clinic this morning and the doctor was confident this is not herpes but more likely a skin infection like folliculitis or acne (I have issues with acne). I asked for a swab and the doctor told me that it was not necessary and prescribed an antibacterial & steroid cream to apply twice daily.
      I also asked for a HSV blood test and the doctor said the test wouldn't tell me which type of HSV it was if I had it. She said if I had cold sores before, it would come back positive and be misleading for this infection (I informed her I never had a cold sore before).
      They haven't changed in progression over the 48 hours. Just seem to get a little less red at times.
      I will see my family doctor when she is back from vacation but hoping for second opinion here.
      Thoughts?
      CLOSEUP 1
      CLOSEUP 2
      THIGH 1
      THIGH 2
    • anom1990
      By anom1990
      Hi everyone.
      I’m still trying to process this but I am a gay male in my late 20’s that was recently diagnosed with HSV-2 in October 2018. I haven’t been sexually active since 2015 and have only engaged in sexual activity with four people in my life. I’m feeling a lot of emotions because of this; sad, angry, confused, violated, ect. Thoughts like who would’ve thought someone like little ole me, compared to all of the VERY promiscuous people in the world, would end up with Genital Herpes ESPECIALLY when I’ve been abstinent and just focusing on myself for years. That was a gunshot to my soul. It’s crazy that I’ve ALWAYS done regular STD testing, thinking I was negative for everything only to find out that Herpes was never included in my testing because I never knew you had to literally ask for that until this year. The CDC and medical industry is so fucked up and wrong for that. I’ve always used protection, except with my first boyfriend but that was back in 2009-2010 and a condom broke with a sexual encounter I had back in 2011 and I remember immediately putting a new one on him. Unfortunately, all of the men I’ve dealt with sexually are questionable. Half of me wants to know who gave this to me but the other half is like what’s the point. I only have access to contact three of them (I don’t know where the other guy is) but I haven’t spoken to two of them in years, one of them in a whole decade and it would be pretty awkward for me years later to write them a message about herpes. My first boyfriend and I are cordial but he’s still immature so it would be very awkward with him. Anyways, as I’ve been thinking and backtracking my life, I would think I caught this back in 2011 because I remember my anus itching so badly but I thought it was just my hair growing back because I do recall shaving before having sex so I guess that was my first outbreak. Other times I would just get a minor itch in and on my buttocks but I never would’ve thought herpes. I’ve never got outbreaks on my penile area. This is all still confusing and baffling to me. I’m still sad and feeling like my future love life was taken from me. I feel like part of my confidence was taken from me. I don’t even feel comfortable flirting and finding people attractive right now. I’m just releasing my thoughts about my situation but I do have questions. My results also came back saying I had extremely low Vitamin D deficiency; does HSV-2 have something to do with that? Is there a test I could take to tell me exactly when I contracted this virus? This question may be TMI but I masturbate and I notice that a lot of sperm doesn’t cum out sometimes, does HSV-2 have something to do with that?
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • @lw@ys
      I usually stick to 16-18 hour fasts daily. It helps me. 
    • iFdUp
      To all the people estimating 2023 for human trials of what Dr Jerome is working on, we really have to see.  Depending on what is happening right now about that 90% delivery to the SCG and the 50% to TG.  As soon as it is considered an effective cure in mice it will move to a greater animal.  The time to determine results of the mice testing was at most around 45~ days per test grouping. It may be longer for greater animals but I doubt it would be much longer.  If the same level of efficacy is found in the greater animals it may progress to clinic much faster. It may even be granted access to certain people with rare cases of lethal herpes, anything is possible. 
    • Focri
      Same... on everything. I hated when i saw that the CDC thought It wouldn’t change people’s behavior, therefore, no testing. Screw that. When I was tested before the last relationship I was in, they didn’t even tell me what was Not being tested for. I just assumed all the common or dangerous ones.  However, my ex used it to her advantage and actually used it as a weapon so we would be “stuck together” she would often say happily, and now she’s even denying she has it (accused me) and she wont get tested, leading me to believe this is a strategy of hers - saying she got tested, but keeping the HSV off the books. Psycho  Will be taking her to court for sexual assault soon as she aggressively pursued sex, forcing herself on me as she stripped, and resulting in a disgusting situation of me not interested and her looking back on it often saying, “ive never cum so much.”  I stopped dating for years trying to get life together, and this fuckingNot testing bullshit is beyond stupid considering all of the serious health complications from HSV1 and 2. 
    • LightafterDarkness
      Thanks @WilsoInAus   Day +43: Another inspection from the doctor and he is not seeing anything; also a dermatologist in the clinic takes a look. Doctor also is skeptical that cut on left butt check is anything to be concerned about. In the evening itchiness appears but its not too bad- i have noticed that perhaps the area is tender from the previous pain so any sort of touching sets off itchnyess. Speak with Doc and plan is to do a blood test around the 10 week mark. Im also down to 1g/day for Val and will be complete on Sunday. Day +44: itchyness continues but it comes and goes.
    • LightafterDarkness
      Looks like the fundraiser just passed the $25k mark. At some point this money starts to become really meaningful (e.g., $50k may pay for one additional person to work in the lab etc). Also its a signal from the community that there is alot of interest in a cure via gene therapy. http://engage.fredhutch.org/site/TR?px=1709211&fr_id=1574&pg=personal    

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.