World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
sealover

What works for me.....

sealover

I have a long story to tell about my experience with herpes. I've hesitated to post it because I know there are people that will say its not true or can't be. Two years ago I would have been one of those people. Today I'm a believer.

I got my initial herpes infection at 14 on my hand. That was over 30 years ago. No one knew what it was and it wasn't diagnosed as herpes until I was in college. (I was an avid horseback rider but I'm not sure that has anything to do with getting the herpes... but I lived at the barn and at this point I was not in any way sexually active).

It reoccurred in that general spot at least twice a year, every single year. When I found out what is was very upset but by that time I had lived with it for a long time. And it still occurred at least 2x a year.

Fast forward to 18 years ago and I meet a man and get married and have a child. This man ends up giving me genital herpes shortly after I have my baby. I divorce. This incidence of herpes was diagnosed right away, of course I had lived with type 1 on my hand and knew the symptoms. We both went in and tested positive for Type 2. This time I was devastated.

I was on a quest (like so many of us) to lessen the outbreaks somehow. The genital outbreaks were at least 3 times a years and much more severe then the infection on my hand. The genital outbreaks, by the way (and sorry to be a bit graphic) were on the exterior not inside.

I can tell you that I have tried everything, from valtrex to every single herbal, laser, infrared, lotion, pill, every crazy idea.... I honestly think I have tried most everything to lessen the symptoms. Some of them made me ill, a few seemed to really mess up my brain (one supplement made my thinking fuzzy and I had trouble spelling things, very scary)and most did absolutely nothing at all.

Valtrex when taken every day did lessen my symptoms but I still had outbreaks. And... I'm one of those people that hates to take a drug every single day of my life. For me since I was still having outbreaks with the valtrex (even with an increased dosage) the trade off didn't seem worth it. I can't begin to tell you how many thousands and thousands of dollars I spent on this quest. Finally I just gave up... I came to the acceptance that this was going to be forever.

Around January of 2006 I was reading the posts on this board and read about Purell. I laughed. But the guy posting it was so adamant that it worked I thought, well I'll give it a try. So I go out and buy the green type of Purell (has aloe in it) and I keep it by my kitchen sink so most of the time that I wash my hands at the kitchen sink I remember to use it.

I notice over the ensuing months that although I'm still having the outbreaks on my hand (the only spot I'm using it on) they are a lot smaller and shorter. But I don't think much of it beyond that.

The day after Thanksgiving in 2006 (I've kept a record of my outbreaks for years, when I started to try all sorts of "cures" so I could tell if any of them actually worked) I have a big outbreak on my hand and I realized that I hadn't used the purell in weeks, I was busy with work and preparing for the huge family dinner I host at my house for the holiday.

So I decide right there I decide to try this for real. I go out and buy a whole lot of purell (hey its cheap) and I have it by every sink in the house, by my toilet, in my purse, and at work. And I use it every single time I wash my hands or go to the bathroom. (again remember my type 2 is on the outside). That was the day after Thanksgiving 2006. Its now December 2007.

Ready for this: I've not had a single outbreak in either spot for over a year. Not one. The few times I felt the "zing" of an impending out break I would use the Purell even more often and (I know this sounds silly, at the base of my spine) and that zing would go away. Remember.... between the 2 spots I had at least 5 outbreaks a year every single year for over 30 years (on my hand) and over 16 years for the type 2.

I have not changed a single other thing. My health is the same. My job is the same. I take only a multi vitamin every day and have for years. My hormones are the same (in case you are wondering about that), my job is the same (and its very high stress), my stress level is a lot higher... I now have a teenager in the house! I can't attribute this lack of outbreaks to anything other then the purell.

This trial of Purell is really almost a 2 years long "test" because I certainly noticed the difference in the first 6 weeks of use, but I didn't remember to use it regularly until the day after Thanksgiving 2006.

I apply the purell a few times a day to each area, its cheap, its simple, and my results have been unreal. I didn't post until now because I felt I had to have at least a year of no outbreaks to feel it was really working.

I know there will be many here who say it can't work, I felt silly even trying it. There will be many who try it and say it doesn't work but I think you have to use it religiously, at least a few times each day. And lastly, there are going to be many people warning me that I still have herpes and not to spread it. That I know, I understand I still carry the virus however just getting rid of the symptoms has been a huge plus for me (my genital outbreaks were much more often and far worse in terms of pain and the size of the skin area effected).

I'm an independent well educated woman who was really skeptical in the beginning. Not now. Hey why not try it?

Best, Sandy

MsLucy

You know, after reading your post, and the past posts from others who have tried it, I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't something to the Purell. My obs are also exterior, and I think I may give it a try myself. What do I have to lose? If I do, I'll also keep records so I can justify any results, good or bad. Thanks for the input, Sandy.

catiesmom

Sandy - Did you put the purell directly on your skin "down there?" You put it on twice a day "down there", and also on your hand, regardless of whether you're having an OB, right? You mentioned you also put it at the base of your spine (understandable) - do you think that really made a significant difference?

sunshine3

Purell works for me

I have to admit that I thought the whole Purell thing was really ridiculous. I read the posts over several times and decided to try it.

I was diagnosed with genital HSV 1 in november... so about a month ago. It was the worst and most dehumanizing experience of my life. I was so humiliated peeing in the bathtub filled with cool water because it hurt too much to pee without the water. I was on Valtrex but found that it really didn't sit well with me. I got really bad headaches. This was when I found this website and decided to give it a try.

First off, I'd like to say that Purell really stings and kinda burns when you first put it on. My advice to those who are going to try it is to just chew on a towel and know that it won't last more than a few seconds. My outbreaks were external as well. I started putting the Purell on after I had blistered and was starting to just show open lesions that were underneath the blisters. I used it on one side and not on the other side in order to see which one would heal faster, if at all. Well, the Purell was really difficult to put on (only use a very little bit with a q-tip) but it healed actually a few days faster!!!

I continued putting Purell on twice a day during the aftermath of the first outbreak because of my paranoid self thinking I was going to get another outbreak right after the first one.

After a couple weeks I slowed down and just yesterday I did something that maybe I shouldn't have. I was still using the Purell twice a day (morning and night) but yesterday I wanted to try this hair removal cream that a friend of mine used. She said it was great for her bikini line and for getting all the hair around that area. So I tried it and my skin for really really angry red, just like when I had my first oubreak. I was praying that it wasn't an outbreak but by the end of the day I seemed to have skipped some blisters and I went straight to just a few small cut like lesions. I grabbed my chew towel and forced myself to put Purell on (it really stings/burns on inflammed skin like mine was and also on open skin as well... you've been warned).

After putting Purell on and after the stinging stopped all my skin felt warm... for that feeling alone I would put Purell on. It felt good to feel relieved from the angry red skin that was screaming at me for help. I put the Purell on twice last night and today I have put it on 4 times so far. My skin is no longer angry red and the broken skin is slightly red but looks like it will go away very quickly.

this would have only been my second OB so I'm really not an expert or a seasoned victim of this stupid virus but I can tell you this:

Yes, I agree that Purell hurts on application when your skin is inflammed... and it's tedious to put on because you don't want to get any inside but it soothes and warms and takes away itching and burning that I have experienced and it also seems to heal the skin faster.

My doctors doesn't want me using it but why should I pay for Valtrex that gives me headaches when I can get Purell for a margin of the cost and use it when I need to.

Honestly, the choice is up to you whether you try it or not but IT HAS made a difference in my deals with H.

My thoughts in trying Purell was that I had used it on my hands before and I knew I wasn't allergic to it... so how much worse could it make things? I couldn't come up with an answer and I'm glad that I tried it. It helps me... maybe more of you out there should give it a try.

sealover

more info

to the question that was posed above

I put it on a few times a day on both areas regardless of what was going on.

I'm not sure if putting on my spine when I felt the herpes tingle helped or not but thats what I do and again I'm 13 months without a single episode at all.

Sandy

Carrie3909

I think its great that there is something out there that is working! I was on this forum this time last year, deveasted because I was going thru a divorce and was going to have to deal with dating with herpes!

I had purell listed as something to try, but I haven't had any outbreaks the last year so I haven't had a chance to try it!

I had genital herpes for >15 years, and dealt with an outbreak at least once a month (also on the outside). I started using h-balm (applied daily), 1000mg lysine and quit eating nuts. It was like magic, I still cant believe I haven't had an OB in a year!

The h-balm is pretty expensive though, I wonder if there is something similar between it and the purell? I may try switching to the purell and see what happens.

Syagrius

Hi,

It is my third week with Purell and I now have control over my outbreaks. As far as I am concerned, I stick with Purell. If outbreaks do occur, Purell lessen them by a big margin if I compare prior using Purell. Beforce that, 2 months of non stop outbreaks around my mouth. Since then, I live a big relief.

Long life to Purell ;)

Syagrius

Gyula

Searched the web for Purell and found this soup kind of thing. Come from Norway and have never seen it there. It is more of a brand than a generall skin care or soap or what it is? Do you have any similar or a more generall name than the Purell, like aloe vera or something?

blackwatch

Hi Gyula:

I think you can simply go to your local pharmacy and and ask for an alcohol based hand sanitizer. You do not use it with water. So just make sure it fulfills those two parameters and I think you should be fine. If they have one with Aloe Vera then get that it, if not then try it anyway.

I am pretty sure you have it, it is commonly used here especially in hospitals.

NotSoGood

Anti Bacterial Hand Sanitizer they sell them in all name brands not just Purell you can go to a dollar store or a pharmacy.

Gyula

Okay, thanks. Know what you are talking of. Have it at work. Kind of out of the picture to use it on my Obs though, because I don't think it is really good for sensitive skin:P

deflated

try ebay... or look online. you should not have any problems finding it online...