World's Largest Herpes Support Group
YellowFish

Is my new partner at risk after I gave him oral?

YellowFish

I was just recently diagnosed with HSV1 but the outbreak is on my vagina and I do not have any cold sores on my mouth.  I thought it was ok to kiss the man I've been dating and give him oral since I don't have any sores on my mouth.  But now both he and I are panicking that I may have passed it to him unknowingly.  What exactly is the risk?  What should I do?  What should he do?  I just started taking the medication today and we were kissing last night.  I feel so stupid for not knowing it could still present a risk.  

WilsoInAus

Hey @YellowFish if you have a genital HSV-1 infection alone, and this seems likely from what you describe, then you absolutely cannot pass this from any activity from your mouth. This includes kissing and oral sex.

Far from stupid, you exercised real smarts and played it safe to have fun in confidence.

Has this guy tested for HSV-1? Good chance he carries it already meaning he’s pretty immune anyway.

YellowFish

@WilsoInAus He has not tested for it.  I asked my doctor if I could still kiss him and she said "I wouldn't be kissing anyone right now because there is no way to know for sure that you're not shedding the virus from your lips" and I'm just really really freaking out that I gave it to him. I just thought that since I don't have any open sores on my mouth it would be fine.  I hate all of this. I don't know what to tell him to ease his mind.  

WilsoInAus

I’m not sure why the doctor would say that. If you do  it have an oral infection then you don’t shed from their at all.

How were you diagnosed with HSV-1?

YellowFish

@WilsoInAus  My doc took cultures from the spots on my vagina.  She told me they were HSV1 meaning they are the "oral" kind but affecting my genitals.  

WilsoInAus
3 hours ago, YellowFish said:

@WilsoInAus  My doc took cultures from the spots on my vagina.  She told me they were HSV1 meaning they are the "oral" kind but affecting my genitals.  

Without an oral outbreak at the time of primary infection of your genitals, you can be confident you only have a genital infection.

Remember that this guy will have kissed and received oral from women with HSV-1 previously!

guaj14

If you are suffering from herpes on vagina or herpes on vulva, I recommend you read this article that contains valuable information about this condition and its treatment.

Amylouise
On 12/1/2018 at 6:22 AM, WilsoInAus said:

I’m not sure why the doctor would say that. If you do  it have an oral infection then you don’t shed from their at all.

How were you diagnosed with HSV-1?

Strange ya said that cos I had HSV 1 oral and genital. You can have both herpes strain 1 of the genital and oral variety.  So be careful yellowfish doing oral sex in case you have both.  Ya might of already had oral and then you picked up the genital variety more recently.  The antivirals do shit to help passing it on, it's messed up

WilsoInAus
1 minute ago, Amylouise said:

Strange ya said that cos I had HSV 1 oral and genital. You can have both herpes strain 1 of the genital and oral variety.  So be careful yellowfish doing oral sex in case you have both.  Ya might of already had oral and then you picked up the genital variety more recently.  The antivirals do shit to help passing it on, it's messed up

I am sorry but I call BS. Your posts are very troll-like. According to you, you have been cured!!!!

Three cheers: Pip... Pip... 

Amylouise

Ur the troll u don't even know what your talking about. U didn't even know u can have HSV 1 oral and genital sheesh go Pip urself 

and what's worse you work for the blog and your telling people what to do wow that's scary 

WilsoInAus
Just now, Amylouise said:

Ur the troll u don't even know what your talking about. U didn't even know u can have HSV 1 oral and genital sheesh go Pip urself 

That’s not what is being talked about. Dual Infections occur at the same or similar time. We are talking about the high immunity from established infections.

I find it helps to read and understand posts before commenting.

You also suggest that antivirals do ummm ‘shit’ whatever that means in terms of transmission. Not so, antivirals are the only thing proven to reduce transmission rates.

But this doesn’t concern you any more as you no longer have HSV at all!

Gems
On 12/1/2018 at 5:37 AM, YellowFish said:

I was just recently diagnosed with HSV1 but the outbreak is on my vagina and I do not have any cold sores on my mouth.  I thought it was ok to kiss the man I've been dating and give him oral since I don't have any sores on my mouth.  But now both he and I are panicking that I may have passed it to him unknowingly.  What exactly is the risk?  What should I do?  What should he do?  I just started taking the medication today and we were kissing last night.  I feel so stupid for not knowing it could still present a risk.  

There are many strains of hsv 1 and 2 and you can even catch a second strain. I've noted in threads and experienced some strains are worse than others. Likely I HAVE TWO STRAINS OF hsv2. If you have no sores present AS IN NO INFECTION EVER on your mouth and your partner also does not transmission is not possible this is irrespective of the strain. 

I would still be careful of transmission where there is infection even with antiviral medications. Everyone responds differently to medications. Transmission can still occur without symptoms. 

If you are medically minded, personally, I would use diet alongside the meds and look after your health carefully. I'd make sure your partner is aware of the risks past the pharmaceutical claims of reduced risk of transmission as I imagine that is variable depending on the carriers health. This is from my personal experience, but please do your own careful research.

I think its important to fully research the long terms risks of the medications either it is not often fully informed consent at the GP's office.

Gems
On 12/1/2018 at 6:14 AM, YellowFish said:

@WilsoInAus He has not tested for it.  I asked my doctor if I could still kiss him and she said "I wouldn't be kissing anyone right now because there is no way to know for sure that you're not shedding the virus from your lips" and I'm just really really freaking out that I gave it to him. I just thought that since I don't have any open sores on my mouth it would be fine.  I hate all of this. I don't know what to tell him to ease his mind.  

Do not engage sexually without anyone been tested. I think your GP is stating just because you have no symptoms on your lips doesn't mean you could not have picked it up at the same time as the genital symptoms or any other time. That is why this disease is so freaky. You can have it anywhere and often may not know. Not only that it is very difficult to diagnose. 

I do not think you should panic, but to reduce risk your partner should be tested and no oral without a condom. 

Ladyb2018
On 11/30/2018 at 2:14 PM, YellowFish said:

You need a new doctor if you are already sure it’s ghsv1 then it’s not oral . I have the same thing and my doctor said no it’s no way to pass it by kissing . Only thing you should worry about it him giving you oral sex really . Even the genital to genital rates are only about 3-5% . You’re fine and so is he 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Tayyy
      By Tayyy
      Hi, I have consistent folliculitis in my genital area that has been confirmed before when I went for doctors appointments. I just had a boil on my outer labia about 3 weeks ago. When I noticed the bump(which was under the skin) there was a raised bump below the boil that was not firm at all. Everytime I applied pressure with my finger to the boil, pus would come out of the other bump. I assumed they were connected. Two days after that I had sex with my boyfriend and a few days after that, I noticed that the bump that was not firm was now red. It kinda looked like a blister so that concerned me. When I squeezed the bump pus squirted out, then a clear liquid. I put a hot towel to it and pus and blood popped out with some clear liquid. After that was drained out the bump was no longer raised and just went flat. The next day it was still red but lighter in color. It went away quickly and the firm boil above it also went down alot but I can still feel it under the skin if I search for it. Was this an outbreak or just bacteria? Can folliculitis or a boil turn to a herpes blister? All feedback is welcome and I am scheduling a dr appointment as soon as I can. Also I want to add that I am an African American woman and I was told my curly pubic hair could cause more boils and folliculitis. 
    • sub16610
      By sub16610
      I'm really desperated, I've been visiting three different doctors and they didn't help me at all. Here is my story.
      I'm a 30 years old male in good physical and medical condition. Healthy and sporty lifestyle.
      - April 2018 : One-month holiday trip, including a lot of protected and unprotected sex with stranger girls.
      - May 2018 : Back home. I'm noticing redness on the glans and the foreskin of my penis, a few spots under the corona, and my glans looking wrinkled, very dry, and the foreskin looking like "sticky" when retracting the foreskin. I've been thinking about a fungal balanitis, so I've been applying Econazole, without any amelioration. Decided to get tested for HIV, IST, and HSV 1/2. Everything came negative, except HSV1 IgG Positive (IgM 0.70) - so pretty much an old infection. Showed my glans to Generalist Practician who said it looks normal, advises to avoid any chemical, soap, or whatever. I feel pretty much tired all the time, coffee won't help - but I don't feel pain. Tiredness could be related to pollen allergy - I've been tested with a very high IgE.
      - June 2018 : Things didn't improve. Exactly the same. Very intense redness after sex, that last up to a week. Decided to go to a dermatologist - even if I showed photos where the redness and the spots are really noticeable, she says she doesn't know, but it doesn't look like herpes to her. She told me to do nothing, avoid chemical and treatments, things should come back in order as nothing has been diagnosed by blood test.
      - November 2018 : After another rash/redness episode, went to an urologist. He said my glans and foreskin look normal. The reaction of these 3 doctors to my problem is absolutely incredible. My penis looks completely sick, I told them it has never been like this, and they say it look normal - I don't understand anything. I tried Fusidic Acid cream (antibiotic) without success. Then, I tried antifugal cream again, no result. Foreskin still stick when retracting. I'm beggining thinking about a rare genital HSV1, which outbreaks could be caused by rough sex. Here are some pictures of how my penis was looking at that time.

- December 2018 : Had another blood test. HSV1 still positive, HSV2 still negative, HSV1/2 IgM now in gray zone.
      - January 2019 : Since a few days I have the most impressive outbreak I've never had. My glans and foreskin are now covered with red spots. I still don't feel pain - at most a little itchy - but my eyes are blood shot/pink. I don't really feel tired. Yesterday I ran to the pharmacy to buy Valaciclovir - I'm taking 500mg in the morning, 500mg in the evening.

It's been now 8 months I'm dealing with that, and I still don't know what I'm fighting against. As you can guess, it's very hard for me, psychologically. 
      I'm avoiding having sex and when I do, of course I use protection. Since this last outbreak that really looks terrible, I wouldn't even dare have sex. I'm ashamed, feeling guilty, and it seems like doctors won't help me. 
      My only hope is this forum.
      What is your opinion ? Do you think it looks like an HSV1 outbreak ? If not, what could it be ?
      Thanks in advance.
    • anom1990
      By anom1990
      Hi everyone.
      I’m still trying to process this but I am a gay male in my late 20’s that was recently diagnosed with HSV-2 in October 2018. I haven’t been sexually active since 2015 and have only engaged in sexual activity with four people in my life. I’m feeling a lot of emotions because of this; sad, angry, confused, violated, ect. Thoughts like who would’ve thought someone like little ole me, compared to all of the VERY promiscuous people in the world, would end up with Genital Herpes ESPECIALLY when I’ve been abstinent and just focusing on myself for years. That was a gunshot to my soul. It’s crazy that I’ve ALWAYS done regular STD testing, thinking I was negative for everything only to find out that Herpes was never included in my testing because I never knew you had to literally ask for that until this year. The CDC and medical industry is so fucked up and wrong for that. I’ve always used protection, except with my first boyfriend but that was back in 2009-2010 and a condom broke with a sexual encounter I had back in 2011 and I remember immediately putting a new one on him. Unfortunately, all of the men I’ve dealt with sexually are questionable. Half of me wants to know who gave this to me but the other half is like what’s the point. I only have access to contact three of them (I don’t know where the other guy is) but I haven’t spoken to two of them in years, one of them in a whole decade and it would be pretty awkward for me years later to write them a message about herpes. My first boyfriend and I are cordial but he’s still immature so it would be very awkward with him. Anyways, as I’ve been thinking and backtracking my life, I would think I caught this back in 2011 because I remember my anus itching so badly but I thought it was just my hair growing back because I do recall shaving before having sex so I guess that was my first outbreak. Other times I would just get a minor itch in and on my buttocks but I never would’ve thought herpes. I’ve never got outbreaks on my penile area. This is all still confusing and baffling to me. I’m still sad and feeling like my future love life was taken from me. I feel like part of my confidence was taken from me. I don’t even feel comfortable flirting and finding people attractive right now. I’m just releasing my thoughts about my situation but I do have questions. My results also came back saying I had extremely low Vitamin D deficiency; does HSV-2 have something to do with that? Is there a test I could take to tell me exactly when I contracted this virus? This question may be TMI but I masturbate and I notice that a lot of sperm doesn’t cum out sometimes, does HSV-2 have something to do with that?
    • Alwayssmile_
      By Alwayssmile_
      Hi 
      I'm losing more hair than usual and not on any suppressive meds. 
      Was wondering if anyone else experienced this hsv2 diagnosis or even hsv1 diagnoses 
      If so how did you solve the problem? 
      Thank you. 
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Voyager2
      I'm glad I donated and will do so again when it hits $10,000, as you will, Mike. If anybody doubts what the Jerome group is trying to do, the report from Vail, CO in May 2018 makes it crystal clear. Their goal is to disable the virus and render it incapable of reactivating from latency, which is exactly what we want, and they are up to about 20% to 30% successful, which is SOLID progress.
    • Aurora444
      Do herpes leave scar? I had 3 blisters on my eye forehead, my aunt said it was herpes. But  hinsi naman sya nagtingle at masakit. At ngayon nag scar na sya sa may eyebrow ko. Nilalagyan ko na lang nang eyeliner para hindi halata. 
    • Aurora444
      Im here.. i have scars on my eyebrows and eye forehead. I am scaref it is caused by herpes. But herpes daw rarely leaves  scar
    • Aurora444
      I recently have atleast 3 scars which are already atleast 2 months now. I dont know it it is caused by a herpes, but as far as i can remember it stared last november 27, 2018. It did not have water filled blisters but it tingles. It was not painful at all. I thought it would just clear up after a week but it leaves a scar. I put a celetique scar remover but it didnt worked at all. The scars are still there and i think it is growing. Im afraid, scared and ashamed to go to the doctor. Pls help  
    • Aurora444
      I recently have atleast 3 scars which are already atleast 2 months now. I dont know it it is caused by a herpes, but as far as i can remember it stared last november 27, 2018. It did not have water filled blisters but it tingles. It was not painful at all. I thought it would just clear up after a week but it leaves a scar. I put a celetique scar remover but it didnt worked at all. The scars are still there and i think it is growing. Im afraid, scared and ashamed to go to the doctor. Pls help

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.