World's Largest Herpes Support Group
KG303

Fine Tuning CRISPR

KG303

Cas12a apparently works at a molecular level to stop any undesired effects. Anyone know why no ones trying to use cas12a for HSV instead of Cas9?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181129122455.htm

infoguy123

Excision bio are using casY, which I think is cas12d

Cas9
5 hours ago, infoguy123 said:

Excision bio are using casY, which I think is cas12d

That's correct. And CasX is Cas12e

cowpoke02

i only know about a cas of wine . not sure about that . haha . tell em to hurry up .  you go first and see how you go for few years ..   looking promising . prey they don't invent new disease .. injections prey to god no joke . 

KG303
44 minutes ago, cowpoke02 said:

i only know about a cas of wine . not sure about that . haha . tell em to hurry up .  you go first and see how you go for few years ..   looking promising . prey they don't invent new disease .. injections prey to god no joke . 

I do wanna do the trials for it sooo bad! I’m with you, I really hope it all goes well. It does look very promising, I’m excited :) 

Cas9
55 minutes ago, cowpoke02 said:

It's not cas of wine, it's cask of wine

CrisprCasBear

It feels like a mental support everytime check thru this website. I have faith we will get the 100% cure for this evil virus. 

Newone2

I'm pretty hopeful for crispr as well. It seems to have the potential to cure a lot to diseases. Have they been able to get to the latent hsv at all useing this? 

KG303
24 minutes ago, Newone2 said:

I'm pretty hopeful for crispr as well. It seems to have the potential to cure a lot to diseases. Have they been able to get to the latent hsv at all useing this? 

I think Jerome labs was recently able to get to like 20% or maybe more of the latent virus. I think last time it was only like 3-4%. I’m not sure if these are the exact numbers but you can definitely research more into it. Still not a lot but that’s a hell of an improvement. It’s not possible in any way shape or form for crispr to not be a solution for us somehow. Let’s hope they figure everything out so we’d only need it as a one time thing and that way it won’t have to stay in our bodies forever. It’s just nice to know progress is being made and is looking good, no matter how many of the people on this site try to tell you it’s hopeless. There is some hope!!

Cas9
3 hours ago, KG303 said:

I think Jerome labs was recently able to get to like 20% or maybe more of the latent virus. I think last time it was only like 3-4%. I’m not sure if these are the exact numbers but you can definitely research more into it. Still not a lot but that’s a hell of an improvement. It’s not possible in any way shape or form for crispr to not be a solution for us somehow. Let’s hope they figure everything out so we’d only need it as a one time thing and that way it won’t have to stay in our bodies forever. It’s just nice to know progress is being made and is looking good, no matter how many of the people on this site try to tell you it’s hopeless. There is some hope!!

I just contacted them to see if this is true. Hopefully I'll get a response soon

KG303
1 minute ago, Cas9 said:

I just contacted them to see if this is true. Hopefully I'll get a response soon

Definitely let me know! Swear I seen it mentioned on a research update page for a HSV cure but not entirely sure. Appreciate it! 

Newone2

God I hope it’s true. I’d give my left nut to science if it meant finding a cure for this pointless piece of crap virus.

KG303
15 minutes ago, Newone2 said:

God I hope it’s true. I’d give my left nut to science if it meant finding a cure for this pointless piece of crap virus.

I don’t have a left nut but I totally relate to you dude. Stupidest virus ever. 

dont quit!17
18 hours ago, KG303 said:

I read some of the article and if its true, that is really good news! ( I think it was 30%). From what I understand you don't have to have HSV at a 0% level to NOT shed! 

MikeHerp

Regarding the update from Keith Jerome, it read like it was legit, though I could not find the actual update in the links shared, so that was one thing that made me wonder.  I hope they publish this research.  I have a feeling it's true, though it should be further verified.  

One minor correction I'd make is that it was the meganucleases that edited 20-30% latent virus.  CRISPR was unable to edit latent virus again.

One question that I have, whcih I'd love to ask Jerome (or anyone else knowledge) is this:

Jerome repeatedly emphasized that the nucleases persisted for an extended period (weeks).  I don't know if it meant that they'd persist indefinitely.  

If that is thew case then:

1.  It seems that would increase the risk of off-targets.

2.  If it (Cas 9) is degraded and eventually disappears, could the neuronal cells infected with edited virus, be reinfected with viable virus?  

I just wonder how important is that the Cas9 persists in the body, and whether it is needed to persist in order for the latent virus to remain suppressed.

KG303
6 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

Regarding the update from Keith Jerome, it read like it was legit, though I could not find the actual update in the links shared, so that was one thing that made me wonder.  I hope they publish this research.  I have a feeling it's true, though it should be further verified.  

One minor correction I'd make is that it was the meganucleases that edited 20-30% latent virus.  CRISPR was unable to edit latent virus again.

One question that I have, whcih I'd love to ask Jerome (or anyone else knowledge) is this:

Jerome repeatedly emphasized that the nucleases persisted for an extended period (weeks).  I don't know if it meant that they'd persist indefinitely.  

If that is thew case then:

1.  It seems that would increase the risk of off-targets.

2.  If it (Cas 9) is degraded and eventually disappears, could the neuronal cells infected with edited virus, be reinfected with viable virus?  

I just wonder how important is that the Cas9 persists in the body, and whether it is needed to persist in order for the latent virus to remain suppressed.

Thank you for the corrected info. I actually went over the article again and it turns out that it is indeed meganucleases that were able to touch the latent virus but that’s still amazing. In the past there was absolutely no way to even touch latent virus, or so I’ve heard. Then they mentioned they were going to include crispr to somehow be integrated into it and see if that could help get to the latent virus. They did mention they were conducting animal studies I believe and if that all worked out it might be able to be tested in humans. 

In regards to how crispr will work inside of the body, I’m curious about that too. I’ve seen many people mention that it will be unlikely for the FDA to approve if it will be something that has to stay in our bodies for the rest of our lives. I just hope they can prove safety and I have a good feeling they will. I haven’t had the virus that long so I’m trying not to get my hopes up about it because I know there are people who have had HSV for years and got so excited about potential cures only to have their hopes crush. But I truly believe crispr will work and as far as we know it’s safe. But I don’t care if I have to wait 10+ years or so as long as it is safe. I really want to do trials but not sure how to go about that. I also sent an email to excision bio therapeutics earlier in regards to their research. It’s always great to get more information from the people working on a cure for us and I hope to hear back from them soon. 

Anyway, fingers crossed and hopefully we’ll find out some more info on how it works in our bodies eventually! I think the biggest obstacles that we’ll have to face is how long it’ll have to stay in the body, what it will do in the body, and being able to get to the latent virus. 

Newone2

I sure as hell hope so. When that day comes (hopefully within the next decade) I say we put together a national “Fu$k you herpes” day. I’m going to make it a point to celebrate that day for the rest of my life! I’ll bust out a bottle of the finest scotch I can buy and walk around my house butt ass naked getting drunk and eating Cheetos lol. 

I’m very hopeful that some form of CRISPR will put an end to all our suffering once and for all. The  research that is being done these days is better then it’s ever been and that gives me hope. There might actually be a light at the end of this tunnel... even if we can’t see it just yet.

KG303
3 hours ago, Mrspinkk said:

Will there be a cure ? Is there a cure possibility :(

There is definitely a possibility for a cure. I know we’re very excited about it and I know we hate this disease but we still have to enjoy our lives. If we sit around waiting for a cure to be announced we would be miserable and obsessed over this annoying skin condition. So far crispr is definitely holding high hopes, but as of right now we don’t know what the future has in store or if it can prove to be 100% safe. So my advice is to just be patient and know that there is hope, but also enjoy your life and don’t dwell too much over a cure. Look into things you can do to prevent outbreaks for now and be as healthy as you can be, that way it won’t even be on your mind as much. Hopefully we get some updates in this upcoming year :) 

KG303
2 minutes ago, Newone2 said:

I sure as hell hope so. When that day comes (hopefully within the next decade) I say we put together a national “Fu$k you herpes” day. I’m going to make it a point to celebrate that day for the rest of my life! I’ll bust out a bottle of the finest scotch I can buy and walk around my house butt ass naked getting drunk and eating Cheetos lol. 

I’m very hopeful that some form of CRISPR will put an end to all our suffering once and for all. The  research that is being done these days is better then it’s ever been and that gives me hope. There might actually be a light at the end of this tunnel... even if we can’t see it just yet.

Exactly!! There’s a new year coming up and that means more advances and more research and results being put out there. But for now we can at least try to help end the stigma of this stupid virus and not give it as much power over us as we do. There is definitely some hope. 

Even if we can’t get a sterilizing cure, there is hope for a functional cure. And that means not being able to transmit it to anyone. I think that’s the hardest part of having herpes. Honest to god. 

And let’s not forget pritelivir having the potential to work as a functional cure when taken with other antivirals! Or at least put the risk of transmission very very low. There is so much negativity and I know we shouldn’t get our hopes all the way up but people honestly just don’t even understand how much f*cking progress is being made. It’s incredible. People are already reporting great progress taking the medication that came out in Japan, which is very very similar to pritelivir, saying it’s the best they’ve felt in a while.

It would be better not to have HSV all together, but hey, we should cherish any news or any progress made. Plus, they’ve finally been able to clearly see the herpes simplex virus for the first time. It might be a while before they prove safety with all these things, but it’s well worth the wait. Shit is literally happening and I just want everyone to be aware. 

We will be ok, y’all. 

MikeHerp

There is indeed progress.  The research is not dead, and knowledge is accumulating exponentially.  

I was a bit down on this year, with there seeming to be little to be cheerful about on the HSV treatment front, but the recent news is hopeful.

Cas9

Remember that there's often research going on in the background that hasn't been brought to the forefront yet; i.e. just because you don't hear about any progress every month doesn't mean nothing is happening. And some of the progress isn't even directly related to hsv, but can be useful in hsv research. A simple example was something someone posted a while back or perhaps I read it on my own. It was some sort of microscope that could provide incredible detail. It allows scientists to examine viruses in a way they were never able to do before. In a way where they can see exactly how the virus works. That goes a long way to finding a cure.

Then there are the advances in gene editing. I've seen multiple articles where scientists have greatly improved the off target issue that plagues gene editing. And different researchers are using different methods to achieve that. They can even genetically modify the Cas enzymes. So there's a lot going on out there.

KG303
56 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

Remember that there's often research going on in the background that hasn't been brought to the forefront yet; i.e. just because you don't hear about any progress every month doesn't mean nothing is happening. And some of the progress isn't even directly related to hsv, but can be useful in hsv research. A simple example was something someone posted a while back or perhaps I read it on my own. It was some sort of microscope that could provide incredible detail. It allows scientists to examine viruses in a way they were never able to do before. In a way where they can see exactly how the virus works. That goes a long way to finding a cure.

Then there are the advances in gene editing. I've seen multiple articles where scientists have greatly improved the off target issue that plagues gene editing. And different researchers are using different methods to achieve that. They can even genetically modify the Cas enzymes. So there's a lot going on out there.

It surely is! You’re so right about reading stuff that may not even relate to HSV. I try to stay up to date on articles about HIV/AIDS and other diseases like CMV and whatever else also because if we can eradicate that, we should be able to figure something out to defeat HSV too. You’re right, there are so many great things happening. I just hope it doesn’t end up in the wrong hands because it’s sort of scary when you think about it. I’ve also read that they’re already hinting at human trials for some diseases. Very exciting stuff and I hope it leads to more information on HSV. I’m also really happy that other people with deadly diseases also have a shot and that they’re mostly the first ones in line. Gene editing is an amazing tool in general! When I read about some of the diseases they scientists are trying their hardest to use gene editing as a cure for, it makes me grateful in a way because it could be so much worse than HSV. And although HSV is more of a nuisance than anything, I’m so happy that scientists are trying to cure it anyway although people say they aren’t. When people say that, I’m just like “have you done your research lately?!” Lol