World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Arrabella

Hsv1, genital. Who gave this to me? Help

Arrabella

Hello, im new here & ive been diagnosed with herpes 1 on my genitals today. For about 4 days the symptoms were getting worse to the point where i knew i had it. Swollen vagina, lesions that were wet looking & oozing yellow watery fluid. I could hardly walk & still cant. The pain is horrendous. Anyway, to my question. Im very confused, & i know there is no way i can tell who i got it off. After my 4 year relationship, i was saddened & i wanted to do anything to get my mind off him. Less then a year later, i began seeing a guy in march this year. We had a sexual relationship, we had sex, gave each other oral, kissed. ( sorry for the details but its relevant) i only saw him about 6 times in the 3 months we were seeing each other. Anyway, after that ended, i did end up with thrush & bacterial vaginosis. & on and off the opening around my vagina was red and irritatable. I was tested over and over again during the year nothing came up. I began seeing a new guy, who i like very much. So i thought id test myself again to be sure before starting a relationship. 2 weeks ago, My doctor did a swab & a urine test to cancel out herpes. It came back negative. I was beyond happy. Now, this is where it gets confusing. Seeing this guy, both having feelings for each other we had sex with protection & 2 days later i gave him oral sex . & that is all we have done. Protected sex, he fingered me,  i gave him oral sex & we have kissed alot. Now, a week later after that, that is when i began getting those symtoms & it was getting worse everyday. Today i found out that i do indeed have hsv 1 & i am petrified telling my new boy. It is early & i dont know how he will react either. + he knows everyone in my area so if it ever gets out i dont know how i will live with myself knowing people know i have this. Its not something to be ashamed about, but the whole social stigma about it makes me worry. Im really upset about it & crying while im writing this. My doctor didnt really tell me any info even after i asked. But because i have hsv1 on my genitals does that mean its not on my mouth & im fine to kiss? I was thinking continuing to see him for a few weeks & if its something special i will tell him... but im just wondering if kissing is okay.. + could i have got this of him? Any info or opinions would be grately appreciated. Thank you 

WilsoInAus

Hey @Arrabella let’s see what we can sort out here.

Do you have a printout of all the tests you have had in this current set? Which one was positive?

Arrabella

But i was swabbed inside my vagina 2 weeks ago with a urine sample & it was negative. Its very strange that this came on after i did stuff with my new guy. But is that even possible to get it from fingering? Like if he wiped his mouth & did it? Because he never gave me oral, the guy back in march did. 

Edited by Arrabella

Arrabella

The swab of my sore said i was positive, she had to break one 

Arrabella

Nah the hsv test was a swab of my sore, but i also did a urine one that must have come back positive too

WilsoInAus

Unlikely that urine is tested for HSV in Australia.

Do you have a printout of the exact test you had, typing swabs is also not the norm in Australia. They normally do a culture and give you your result as positive for HSV within 2-3 days.

Arrabella

Yeah i have a paper the doctot gave me after she told me . A culture as in a blood test? The new guy is getting tested today hopefully for herpes, because i wanna know if its from him although i didnt tell him he said hes okay with getting tested. What test should he get from the doctor? 

WilsoInAus

No a culture is from a swab using a cotton tip device usually. This is smeared into a plate of cells that enables any HSV to proliferate.

What does the test result say exactly? Does it describe what the test is? I’ve checked the Douglas Hanly Moir information and it does look like PCR tests now dominate.

Your partner asks for a pathology form, blood draw and testing for IgG antibodies type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Arrabella

It doesnt say what the test is all it says is 

herpes simplex type 1: detected

herpes simplex 2: not detected 

Varicella zoster virus: not detected. 

Arrabella

Yeah, so do you think its possible the new guy gave me it somehow? Im starting to think no as he didnt give me oral sex. 

WilsoInAus

The smoking gun rule applies as much for herpes as anything meaning your partner whom you had sex with a few days before a first known outbreak is almost always the source.

Your situation does give pause though in terms of thee possibly been a primary infection previously.

The odds of an asympromatic primary HSV-1 infection genitally are very low though. Although you may not have aligned it to herpes. was there a time when you had what you thought was a bad irritation, UTI or yeast infection that went away after a week?

Edited by WilsoInAus

Arrabella

Could it still be him even though it was protected? Yes, i did have thrush & bacterial vaginosis after seeing the first guy. Got a swab and urine test for those + when i did get tested for herpes a couple weeks ago my doctor also checked me for “mycoplasma genitalium” & that came back positive. & that is a sexually transmitted infection, so ive had that since march seeing as this was before i did stuff with my new guy. The doctors mustst have checked me for that previously. 

WilsoInAus

There are a good 20+ mycoplasma bacteria (that scientists are aware of) that may cause problems for people. It is very common to pick up some of these.

It all seems a 50/50 call as to whether the herpes is recent or from earlier on this year. You'd have thought you may have been tested for herpes before, but who knows. Perhaps a but of time had elapsed in getting to the doctor that meant herpes was not detected.

Either way, it is only important to look forward. If your new partner tests negative, then at last you'll know it wasn't him as the source. If he is positive for HSV-1, this won't prove he infected you as it is so common, but at least it will give you both confidence being concordant to proceed as you were!

Arrabella

What if he does get tested & it comes back negative but he actually does have it? If he doesnt, im so scared to tell him. I feel as if he might run off & that would kill me. Also, because i have hsv1 on the genitals, does that mean im fine to kiss & give oral sex to him because the infection is on my genitals? I havent had any sores on my lips

WilsoInAus

If he's testing for herpes and sharing the results, then you need to do the same. This might seem harsh, but if he is unable to cope with this minor issue, it isn't a great sign for dealing with something actually challenging in life. Would this be the sort of man you'd see as a partner? On the up side, if all is on the table and maturely handled, geez that's a good foundation for the relationship. Give him a chance to shine, I feel he will.

It is very likely that without lip issues your HSV-1 is limited to the genital region. Hence kissing and giving oral is no risk.

Edited by WilsoInAus

Arrabella

It gives me hope because ive tested him about it. I told him a story of a friend of mine & i said what if i had it would you stay with me & he said yes, i said why? He answered “because i like you alot” but you never know when it actually happens. How do i have kids when i have this though? Like will he have to take the risk once when im fertile to have kids?  Im still processing this in my mind

WilsoInAus

Herpes and childbirth is a very low priority issue for gynos. 1 in 10 natural births are to mothers with genital herpes. Antivirals and even c-sections dramatically reduce or eliminate infection chances.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• YellowFish
      By YellowFish
      I was just recently diagnosed with HSV1 but the outbreak is on my vagina and I do not have any cold sores on my mouth.  I thought it was ok to kiss the man I've been dating and give him oral since I don't have any sores on my mouth.  But now both he and I are panicking that I may have passed it to him unknowingly.  What exactly is the risk?  What should I do?  What should he do?  I just started taking the medication today and we were kissing last night.  I feel so stupid for not knowing it could still present a risk.  
    • Fernholly
      By Fernholly
      A few weeks ago I thought I felt a yeast infection coming on. It made sense because I had a throat infection ( which appeared to be strep but tested but negative — could this be related?) a few weeks prior and started but didn’t finish amoxicillin since the strep came back negative. So I was in a ton of pain, 3 days of Monistat and nothing, so I call my primary care to get something and she says “could it be herpes?” I said no way, there are no bumps, just discharge, and itching, pain around the clitoris, plus I’m just thinking of how long I’ve been with my BF. So she prescribed me something and I hope to get better. The next day I felt a small sore on my lip near my anus, and had my boyfriend check it out. He said it just looked like a little cut but my heart sank because I remembered the doctor suggested herpes. I scheduled an apt with my OBGYN. By this time I had multiple small sores and she told me I had herpes. She swabbed the sores around my clitoris that had been causing me so much pain, it felt like sandpaper and I just cried and cried and wanted to die. I told her I had been with my boyfriend for 3 years, it didn’t make any sense. He never had visible cold sores anywhere. I was worried he cheated on me. She explained the shedding and suggested he likely passed it on during oral sex if he’s had cold sores in the past. My test came back positive for HSV1 a few days later. Its been almost a week since I’ve had any visible sores but I’m still in shock. I can’t enotionally process this still. My boyfriend acts like since it’s “only HSV1” I won’t have many OB’s and that I’m lucky. I’ve been having lots of nerve pain even after the sores have cleared up, I worry it will bother me not only during OBs but all the time, just not as intensely. But I can’t help but still be angry that he gave this to me, and never even bothered to tell me he had cold sores in the past. I never imagined this happening to me because I thought I found my person forever and would never have to worry about catching an sti. I’m just so concerned since stress is a major trigger and I am going to medical school next year, so I will have many many years of stress ahead and I’m not quite sure I can balance the stress, and the pain and emotional toll of an OB. Can anyone with gHSV1 talk to me? I’m feeling pretty alone. 
    • emz
      By emz
      Hi All,
      New here and was recently diagnosed with ghsv-1 six weeks ago. 
      Sort of coping, good days and bad days as expected and going through the motions as everyone does. 
      Did anyone experience health anxiety when they got the news? I'm barely sleeping knowing that my body can't fight this off and worrying that I will catch an additional or more serious illness in the future I'm getting the oddest sensations all over my body too and the anxiety makes it worse. 
      I caught this with low chances (with a condom and the guy was on suppressive meds) so I guess I'm feeling 'unlucky' in that sense. 
      If you guys have any thoughts, suggestions or experiences I'd be grateful to hear  
    • Leemell48
      By Leemell48
      I recently noticed a red rash inside the opening of my vagina. It painful to the touch and I see a small flesh colored bump all of sudden. I'm freaking out since I can't get to the doctor til Tuesday. I also have white gray discharge. What kind of symptoms did you have during first ob?
    • Leemell48
      By Leemell48
      Sorry in advance for the long post. In September I had sex and we used a condom but we stopped the condom broke. He was rough and I ended up having a small tear. We also had unprotected oral before. I went to the doctor and planned parenthood cause in was freaking out. I got early hiv tested and urine tested two days later all negative.  They said I needed to see my gyno about the tear. At the doctor as soon as she saw the tear said it could be herpes and swabbed it. I started crying of course.  I also got full panel of blood tests. It took forever to get my results but she said they were all negative. I'm worried that I tested too early for an accurate test since I tested 5 days after possible exposure. I continue to have symptoms. I was having itching redness and a lot of white discharge with inner thigh pain. My doctor took samples for bacteria and thought it was bv and gave me medication. That came back negative for bacteria. She keeps saying it's not a std but won't test me again till 3 months. I saw another doctor for a second opinion since I was getting shooting pains in vagina and anus and burning pain in crease of thighs. She said it was a yeast infection which it's not at all. I am now experiencing shooting pains vaginally,in my anus, my legs, and under my armpits. I don't see any sores only very small pimples that are red but don't have white in them. They keep disappearing and coming back. Doctors think they are razor bumps but haven't been shaving only trimming. I even had a transvaginal ultrasound to see if anything was abnormal it came back normal. But after the ultrasound i had pelvic pain and brownish discharge for over a week. 
      I have also been experiencing itchy eyes with white discharge and bumps on the sides of my throat and small red bumps on my tongue that have white around them. I have been so anxious that I have been to so many doctors. I've been to the eye doctors 3 times and they just think I have an infection . I went to 4 doctors about my throat  and one said it was a virus and have me a z pack. The other one said it was allergies and postnasal drip and to use Zyrtec which I now take everyday. The third said they didn't see anything. The fourth finally swabbed it and waiting to hear back. I saw the dentist about my mouth sores and they said it's just canker sores and build up of bacteria on my tongue.
      I even went to the dermatologist twice since I have been getting white heads on face and small red bumps on chest and arms with itching. They just think it's fungal and eczema. 
      I keep googling which I know is bad. My anxiety is causing me to lose sleep.  I have started starting vitamins to increase my immune system like lysine and b12 and zinc. I'm sorry for the long post again I'm just so scared. 

• Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • cowpoke02
      looking at it wrong /  god creator is life philosophy ..  for free people and society community ..  remember the pharaohs .  more escaping freedom and never becoming a slave.  holy spirit is man speaking the truth . warning of history of slavery  and teaching the truth and permanent laws of life . legal book and right and wrong .   any way  universe is god / creators .  not supposed to have a image of god as well or this anti christ ..  people speaking for god is anti christ ..   read philosophy you under stand your self and others .  main ones are good start .  roman empire ones .  on sex food  life // bible opens up after that ..  bibles also has holy spirrit from lying man phsyco people in it . haha.  man corrupts everything ..  god says take action , take care f your self .   forgive your self /// health depends on it . forgive the enemy or people hurting you . they mental ill bad people or stupid or ignorant or accindet .  forgive for you ..  people make mistakes ..        religon is natural law really .zodioack .. i like to mix natural regions with bible . bible is great for many things and courts and freedom . most is life rules for success to live jn heaven not in hell .  shit happens .. your born free and equal with god given rights is what i take from religion ..  fallow god cause you wont end up abused used or a slave to a man . mans law is temporary and slavery for a few to profit ..  god can be you ..  when die your still around .  you can watch family and friends . parents re god and earth sun and universe ..  fathers land or mothers is the earth .  indians philosophy you can't own your creator .  modern law before corrupted . people created government  . government can't own the people . today they do . get disease and torture . lol. bad drugs by doctors .  any way idea of staying safe . em commandment s don't hurt people.  court rules ..   so take charge . god helps them who help themselves . lol.   your still a good girl . got more morals than most people.   smile .  commonsense first . the philosophy and religion .. then you indoor stndit more ..  everything corrupt by people . even church and religion . some people are born manipulators , they have brain defects . cause trouble  and want to be pharaohs .. religious tyrants to government .   i chosen to serve my creator now . join world lords army of al regions to live in peace to end government ...  serve god or serve a man .  i'll serve god before a flag controlled by a man .  symbols images become god . then government and man becomes god . not good ..  free people ..  take care . you can be religious but remember man is a bastard ..  power .  think for you self  like god / creator intended .  false profits man  all every where .     
    • raregem
      Well my post never inferred what you just suggested. I said I would respond to all enquiries as best as I can right here for those who cannot send emails yet or better yet, they can email and I would get back to them as soon as I can
    • WilsoInAus
      @MikeIke you won’t be normal until you believe you will be.
    • MikeIke
      Having second thoughts on letting it go. Daily it has been : Mouth : redness around lips, lots of breakouts around lips, white skin crusting around lips Penile : Meatitis, redness, urethritis, glans sensitivity, dysuria, shooting pain from urethra, white peeling skin sometimes New: fatigue, random skin depigmentation, pain spreading into butt as nerve pain Girl i was with mentioned "the hsv blood tests are so inaccurate" - - how would she know this? Planning on asking once I know she won't lie.  Next step is meeting with a new urologist. Retesting igg today 14 weeks.  11 week igg and hiv was neg. 12 week igm was neg but may have waited too long.  I just want to be normal again. 
    • cowpoke02
      forgive heals your self .  plus crazy people love you to suffer and not be happy . being happy ruins them not you . the goal is to make you go to hell .  happy you shall be .. keep you healthy and less out breaks .  stress kills immune system and feed the disease and diseases ..   ptsd and insanity is fed by stress. cure is to forgive yourself for getting used or played and enemy . both in a bad spot or they mentally ill with no empathy feeding off hurting people.  so stay happy ... life traps people play you or whole life even parents siblings .. first one to kill ya rob in end is family . you get other ones inheritance .. many people have no empathy and driven to hurt people . mind defects .. you get beat down your nervous system goes to hell you end up with insanity and psychosis ..  delt with it .  learned a lot but now nervous system is gone . damaged for life . never trust people. i have to move away to get better . sell everything off and get robbed .  so don't get trapped stay healthy . forgive the idiot . maybe he got it out in society as well.  maybe he knew or messed around .. forgive for your self .. not for the idiot .  maybe both victims .    enough rambling . trust your gut even if its wrong its right . lol .  true the other cheek is a good rule and get evidence and keep watch . bad people who would kill you in right chance they set you up and play you from the beginning  . they be friends with every one else and undermine your life ..  so smile and get out and secret vice things and security ..  you flip out they say our crazy with straight face . you hang your self basically . many times media does it too they hang you out to community then they may beat you as well.  why be happy turn cheek . plus they can be your helper on inside .  good to not even let em know your stressed they feed off it.  any way that covers the whole spectrum of why you forgive and forget and in the end it points at the bad guy ..  they smart they break you down over time with mind games and emotional damage .  one day figure it out and yu snap . you become the bad guy they look clean .  you muddy up the picture and more facts against you than them . in court they can have people against you witness than for you .  evil set up / they trick you into evidence against you while they covertly did stuff to you maybe for years .. had siblings recently lie in your face and in front of people and act normal . then see em go bye net day smirking and grinning.  they know mommy is retarded and loves all kids even  if they rib and play her ..  evil people.  disturbed me deeply .  they can pass lie detectors lie to alll .  bring up when you snapped after lifetime of abuse vandalism threats ..  evil as hell . good luck ..  thats why forgive forget gather evidence . don't buy the farm till you find out not moving into crime ring or mad man neighbor . lol. i still can't believe it . half alive at this point ..  nervous system goes your in torture and financial distress and lose entire life .  they drive buy make sure you know they watching you .  make sure see hear them . to keep destabilizing you ..  this can be family special if they have narc dna like mine.  i am not a narc so they all got me at bottom and play me for fun .. once i leave they have to bet on each other ..  they all ready one .. evilest crazy people on earth protected by the law and usually have connections and other crazy people .  be good have fun be safe .  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.