World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Hopingimwrong

High antibodies a month after exposure?

Hopingimwrong

Someone in a group I'm in is claiming to have an IgG antibody count of 26 a month after exposure. Is that possible? 

Another way to ask what I really want to know: Am I misinformed? 

Antibody level of 10.2 IgG tested one month to the day after first suspected outbreak. With antibody levels that high, it's an established infection that I've had, at a minimum, 3 months from date of test? Or is it possible that I could have antibody levels that high within less than 3 months of exposure? 

Experts, please weigh in on this one for me?

WilsoInAus

It is always going to come down to probability. There are no definite.

However there is a very high probability mAybe over 90-95% that both of you were infected earlier than suspected, especially when HSV-1 is involved.

Hopingimwrong

Oops, forgot to mention that it was HSV2. At least with me. The other person never indicated. 

Hopingimwrong

And a decently mild outbreak, 5 total sores stretched out off and on over that month. 

WilsoInAus
3 minutes ago, Hopingimwrong said:

And a decently mild outbreak, 5 total sores stretched out off and on over that month. 

That’s actually the more common outbreak scenario for a recent infection, especially for a person with HSV-1 already for example.

The probability will shift around with individual circumstances.

I guess more important is to question whether there are any implications of an earlier or recent infection and deal directly with those.

Hopingimwrong

My hsv1 was negative. Hsv2 was 10.2.

I know I cant know who from/when I got it. Just trying to determine with the best educated guess whether it's a recent infection or not. 

Facts:

First sore appeared, unable to swab. Followed by 2 more sores the next day. Visually diagnosed 3 days later. 7 days of valtrex. Sores completely gone within 6 days. 7 days of nothing. A 4th sore pops up. A 5th sore pops up on day 6. Both gone by day 8. Blood test (igG) done a month to the day after the first sore popped up. Again, results hsv1 neg. Hsv2 is 10.2.

WilsoInAus

When was the last sex before the sore first popped up? Can you be accurate in terms of number of days?

Hopingimwrong

That day? Lol! I'm in a relationship, although it's new. I'm trying to determine if I'm bringing hsv into it or not. He hasnt tested yet. Swears hes never had symptoms. First sexual encounter with him was Sept. 29th. Sore popped up Nov.6. Blood test showing hsv1 neg and hsv2 10.2 drawn December 6. (Yes, 24 hour turnaround!)

WilsoInAus

This partner’s test is all you can go by. If he’s HSV-2 positive then it leans toward a recent infection. 

Just some math. One month of 30 days plus a longer period of say 10 days from infection to sore could have given your body up to 40 days to test postitive at 10. That’s feasible.

If he’s negative, then you’ve got the answer more defnitively, older infection.

justfine622
11 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

This partner’s test is all you can go by. If he’s HSV-2 positive then it leans toward a recent infection. 

Just some math. One month of 30 days plus a longer period of say 10 days from infection to sore could have given your body up to 40 days to test postitive at 10. That’s feasible.

If he’s negative, then you’ve got the answer more defnitively, older infection.

Wilson, I know it's purely anecdotal, but since you seem very active on here: isn't it rather uncommon to see a number that high so early? I ask because I have similar concerns and found veterans on other forums point to numbers like that and say it's likely old? Thanks.

WilsoInAus
4 hours ago, justfine622 said:

Wilson, I know it's purely anecdotal, but since you seem very active on here: isn't it rather uncommon to see a number that high so early? I ask because I have similar concerns and found veterans on other forums point to numbers like that and say it's likely old? Thanks.

The only aspect that is well studies is going over the 1.1 mark since infection. Here we know there is virtually no one that seroconverts inside 3 weeks.

After that spikes have been observed in the following weeks. Some immune systems can really become active.

Inthink it is best to gather all the information we can to help determine possible duration. Equally though, there is no mileage in looking back on this virus and asking questions of who, what, how, when as it isn’t of great consequences in the scheme of what happens in future.