World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
kal1980

newly diagnosed

kal1980

I was recently diagnosed by my OBGYN with genital herpes. He looked at the sores and called it "textbook". I have an appointment to get a type specific blood test to be sure and find out if I have type 1 or 2 or both. Meanwhile, I finished my 10 day treatment with Valtrex and am currently on the one a day treatment because my BF, we are assuming at the moment, does not have it. (he's also getting tested soon though). The outbreak appears to have cleared but I now have what looks like 4 ingrown hairs or pimples on my inner thighs. They are nothing like the sores I had, which were extremely painful and weeping. These are red bumbs with white heads. Could this be herpes also but just a different presentation? I'm just so paranoid about spreading herpes to other parts of my body. Advice?

helied2me

kal1980,

Did your doctor do a tissue culture (swab the sores with a q-tip)? That could have told you if it was type 1 or 2 if it was done soon enough (24-48 hrs). If it is a recent exposure the anti-bodies may or may not show up in the blood yet. It could take up to 16 weeks to detect.

I have a question about the Valtrex he prescribed. My doctor prescribed 1 g for 5 days (1x daily) What dosage were you taking? Maybe I need to go another 5 days.

As for the pimples on your inner thigh, I can't answer to that. As far as spreading it to other parts, wash your hands thoroughly after touching the area before your hands come into contact with your eyes nose and mouth or any cuts and you should be fine.

msthickness

Hi helied, I was told that I had hsv2 in oct 07, my doctor did a culture swab but there were no bumps or lesions and i haven't had a blood test yet, i go back to the doctor on the 17th of dec. i haven't had any of the symptoms that i have heard other people are haveing and my boyfriend has been tested and his test was neg. how would you put an answer to that. i am terriably confused and anoid by all of this. Can anyone help???????

1hopnot

Msthickness...that's a little weird. You def. Need a blood test and a second opinion. Is your bf your only partner? Or only person you've had skin to skin contact with?

kal1980

Helied,

I was on two 500 mg tabs twice a day for ten days. He said the dose was high because I had had the symptoms for more than 72 hours at that point. He did not do a culture. He said he didn't need to, which I'm now starting to learn was a bad decision on my part to allow, but you live you learn. I plan to be much more proactive in the future.

helied2me

msthickness,

Maybe your doctor saw something that you couldn't see,they don't always tell you. At least he did take a culture which is something most dr.'s don't do without seeing symptoms. I don't know if your bf was tested by a culture or blood test. He could test neg if it were the blood test and it was too soon to detect anti-bodies. It is not as easy for men to become infected as it is for women so he just possibly might not have it. I would suggest that you both get retested. They say antibodies could be detected as early as 4 weeks but as long as 16 weeks and it is not unheard of to not test positive until 8 months.

kal1980,

Thank you for the reason why you are on a ten day therapy. I wish my symptoms would stop, I had one good week in over two months.

The tissue culture could have told you what type it was if it were done soon enough. I didn't have the culture done soon enough and it came back neg. I had the herpes select for type 2 done because the nurse insisted if I ever had chicken pox type one would show.It was 7 weeks after exposure that I had it done and it came back neg. So either it was too early or it's not type2 or my immune system isn't as strong as I thought it was and just hasn't built up the anti-bodies at that point. So technically, I don't even have a diagnosis yet.

kal1980

Helied2me,

I'm so sorry to hear about your symptoms being so severe. I am currently on echinacia (sp?) folic acid and vitamins E & C. I don't know if this has helped at all but my symptoms have not yet returned. Of course, it's very early and I randomly feel tingling at the initial site of infection. Anybody have any experience with holistic approaches/diet changes that help boost the immune system? I don't know what to say to be supportive here, because everything I say comes out sounding trite, but I hope things improve for you and thank you for your responses.