World's Largest Herpes Support Group
realscience77

Phylogica Vaccine press release on 12/6/18

realscience77

Didn't see this one posted.  They had a press release on 12/6/2018.... Thoughts on this scientific method?

• Phylogica’s immunotherapy (peptide vaccine) program takes a significant step forward by demonstrating differentiated in vivo (animal model) results
  •  75% of mice primed with a vaccination containing Phylogica’s Cell Penetrating Peptide (CPP) had no detectable virus after being given the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV)
  • The vaccine containing Phylogica’s CPP was the top performing treatment group across all experiments (including the ‘conventional’ CPP Tat)
  • The result demonstrates that the out-performance of Phylogica’s CPPs in vitro (in a test tube) translate to improved outcomes in vivo (in a living organism)

https://stockhead.com.au/health/phylogica-shows-its-vaccine-could-cure-the-dreaded-herpes-disease/

https://phylogica.com/category/asx-announcements/

Edited by realscience77

floydmonk

This is really impressive. I haven't read into these Cell Penetrating Peptides before, but from just reading that it appears they also are using them to treat/cure cancer. This is the delivery vehicle that is needed in nano medicine. It would be interesting to see if existing nano DNA systems that actually have been proven to work in vitro would be more effective with this technology in vivo.

It is hard to make any judgements on the scientific method without seeing the study results, set to be released in the first quarter of 2019, however I would say the mouse animal model has been a very accurate and productive one for most experiments I've read about.

Voyager2

Sounds good so far. Out of 12 mice vaccinated, when they were later injected with HSV, nine remained herpes-free and the other three developed herpes. They need to try and repeat this with more mice and other animals, and get into clinical trials as soon as possible. A 75% protection rate for a prophylactic vaccine isn't bad, especially since we don't have much else at the moment. The sample size was so small, the real mouse protection rate could be a bit higher or lower. It could also be different for humans. Still, good news. 

LeftCoast

We’ve already talked about this in a previous thread. Was able to get in contact with the research team. Here’s the email I received with changes to my name and secretary’s name. 

Hello LC, 

I am sorry I missed your call - the time zone between Perth and Vancouver is tricky.

“secretary” said you were interested in whether our peptide vaccine work was prophylactic or therapeutic and our timeline for progression into the clinic. In response to the former, we have demonstrated prophylactic activity and have plans to move into a therapeutic model but have not yet done so. The theory is the same (stimulate the immune system to produce viral specific killer CD8+ T cells) so fingers crossed we see a similar outcome. We still have many elements to optimise before we get the vaccine perfect (multiple doses, use of an adjuvant, better CPPs, more antigens, targeting the dendritic cells etc.) so we havesome ammunition left and,encouragingly, we have seen HSVlesions administered on the opposite side of the body to the vaccine regress (indicating the T-cells are active systemically and not just locally around the vaccination site).

The clinical trials question is a little more complicated - we are at least 24 months away from the clinic in this setting. It is also not the lead application of our platform so resourcing is a problem. What we plan to do is to evaluate the efficacy of the CPP in the same vaccination application but in a melanoma model (the theory is applicable across both cancer and viral indications because the body considers both cells to be 'foreign'). Those results will be available early next year and we are going to present the data at the Keystone cancer vaccines conference in Vancouver in January. From there it will be a matter of generating commercial interest to see the program partnered so that we can advance it alongside our internal focus on anti-sense oligonucleotide therapy.

Trace67

Like we havent heard this story a 100 times before. Vaccine for herpes is a failed project. Time for more drastic measures.

Maybe 50 more years for a cure.

Stayjay2013
1 hour ago, Trace67 said:

Like we havent heard this story a 100 times before. Vaccine for herpes is a failed project. Time for more drastic measures.

Maybe 50 more years for a cure.

If  its been like a 100 times story repetition, would it be a good idea to halt all current projects (because it is being referred to as a "failed project") and/or stop the story telling /updating     for such "drastic measures" until maybe 50 years for a cure?

Trace67
7 hours ago, Stayjay2013 said:

If  its been like a 100 times story repetition, would it be a good idea to halt all current projects (because it is being referred to as a "failed project") and/or stop the story telling /updating     for such "drastic measures" until maybe 50 years for a cure?

Yes, that is correct. Better to stop wasting money on insanity and spend it on a different approach. Everyone in the medical community knows that vaccine for herpes is a joke. ;-)

Stayjay2013
5 hours ago, Trace67 said:

Yes, that is correct. Better to stop wasting money on insanity and spend it on a different approach. Everyone in the medical community knows that vaccine for herpes is a joke. ;-)

Which different approach will work then? And how could you arrive at that conclusion without learning from past failures?

I also think it would be very bad/unthinkable for vaccine developers to waste investors' money if they knew in the first place that it would fail (though it's possible for others to do so for the money or strange reasons)

Edited by Stayjay2013

MikeHerp

I don't think vaccines are a failed idea.  There's defnitely been progress on the vaccine front. 

I firmly believe that if GEN-003 was just 10% stronger than it was, it would be in phase 3 right now.  It was pretty close and made it through phase 2 meeting all of its primary endpoints, even if the effects were only modest.

Further, for herpes zoster, there are now two marketed vaccines and the recent subunit one is 90%, i.e., super effective.

There's definitely been progress.  Further, advances in CRISPR have made creating recombinant and mutated viruses for vaccine purposes, cheaper and easier.

I think the main problem right now is finding funding.  Companies and their investors are probably gun shy about comitting big money when a number of projects have come up short.

I think a vaccine can work and maybe one of the ones that's currently in development, could be helpful.  The main issue is getting to new clinical trials.  I think it's just a questionj of time before new attempts are made.  But how much time?  That's the question.