World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MikeHerp

Comments on recent study results on latent HSV by Keith Jerome

hsv2fighter
On 2018/12/14 at AM7点21分, Miss Horne said:

我希望Keith Jerome和实验室更新他们的网页,它有一段时间没有更新。我不久前给他们发了电子邮件,但遗憾的是没有回应。 

I also sent them an email. They didn't reply yet. Hope that when they update their website, the news would be a bomb.

hsv2fighter
On 12/12/2018 at 10:42 AM, MikeHerp said:

Hi hsv2fighter.  

I don't have a copy of the original report.  I'm posting in response to the information presented in this thread.

Mike, I checked the tip you provided, found that it is a survey/report on the 2018 Colorado Alphaherpesvirus Latency Society Symposium. I downloaded this report and found that these messages are exactly from the original report. Hope that they could move further until clinical trial.

I've been visiting Jerome's website for several days. I found the following claim:

"By targeting HSV genomes within infected neurons for disruption we aim to prevent reactivation of latent HSV infections and effectively cure them. Using engineered homing endonucleases that target essential HSV genes we have been able to prevent HSV reactivation from latency in vitro. We have also developed ZFNs targeting essential HSV genes that can inhibit HSV replication in vitro. Our aim is to use these enzymes to prevent HSV reactivation from latency in vivo."

It seems that their method is promising but there is a gap between the results in vivo and in vitro. Finger crossed. Hope that everything is going well with their research.

Miss Horne
On 12/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, Miss Horne said:

Not hsv specific but perhaps someone could email the lab and ask? I’m sure they wouldn’t turn down donations. I would email myself but I have emailed them a while ago asking about progress and I wouldn’t want to come across as being a nuisance :giggle:

I’m going to email the lab and ask about donations, hsv specific donations. I will let you know if they reply. 

Gunthersunshine

I’m so excited. I just read on the net that a few days ago The Francis Crick institute made a breakthrough with Crispr! They have discovered a more precise way to gene edit. 

Edited by Gunthersunshine

Miss Horne
Just now, Gunthersunshine said:

I’m so excited. I just read on the net that a few days ago The Francis Crick institute made a breakthrough with Crisper! They have discovered a more precise way to gene edit. 

Post the info please! 

Gunthersunshine
6 minutes ago, Miss Horne said:

Post the info please! 

Post the info please! 

Post the info please! 

I tried to post it but am pretty hopeless at doing it.  If you google Scientists crack the crisper code for precise human genome editing’ that should bring up the article. 

Gunthersunshine
5 minutes ago, Miss Horne said:

Great thanks! 

5 minutes ago, Miss Horne said:

Great thanks! 

You’re welcome! Happy reading!

Miss Horne

I wonder if scientists share this kind of information between each other? It would be great if they did and all worked together :)

Gunthersunshine
11 minutes ago, Miss Horne said:

I wonder if scientists share this kind of information between each other? It would be great if they did and all worked together :)

I agree. I read the bit about safety concerns but if they’ve progressed this far and recently discovered something new that means we are least that little bit closer. 

Does anyone have Keith’s  number? :) Id like to have a chat. :) Better yet  I forgot who it was that was going to hang out in the car park! Maybe Keith’s  already on to it too???

Miss Horne
3 minutes ago, Gunthersunshine said:

I agree. I read the bit about safety concerns but if they’ve progressed this far and recently discovered something new that means we are least that little bit closer. 

Does anyone have Jerome’s number? :) Id like to have a chat. :) Better yet  I forgot who it was that was going to hang out in the car park! Maybe Jerome’s already on to it too???

There is a number for his lab on his web page but I live across the pond and the cost of the call would probably bankrupt me :)

I did email Keith Jerome a while ago (a few of us did) but he’s probably too busy to answer emails from the public. I’ve emailed this morning about donations. Maybe best if we don’t pester them too much??

It would be great if they updated their webpage, they haven’t done that for a while. 

Cas9 mentioned about waiting for him in the car park but he could be done for stalking for that kind of thing :giggle:

Gunthersunshine
2 minutes ago, Miss Horne said:

There is a number for his lab on his web page but I live across the pond and the cost of the call would probably bankrupt me :)

I did email Keith Jerome a while ago (a few of us did) but he’s probably too busy to answer emails from the public. I’ve emailed this morning about donations. Maybe best if we don’t pester them too much??

It would be great if they updated their webpage, they haven’t done that for a while. 

Cas9 mentioned about waiting for him in the car park but he could be done for stalking for that kind of thing :giggle:

Yeah I agree about the stalking/ harassing. I was only kidding about actually calling him and waiting in the car park! :) As much as I’d love to. 

I hope he doesn’t need us telling him because he’s already busy working on this breakthrough too. 

MikeHerp
On 12/15/2018 at 3:47 PM, hsv2fighter said:

Mike, I checked the tip you provided, found that it is a survey/report on the 2018 Colorado Alphaherpesvirus Latency Society Symposium. I downloaded this report and found that these messages are exactly from the original report. Hope that they could move further until clinical trial.

I've been visiting Jerome's website for several days. I found the following claim:

"By targeting HSV genomes within infected neurons for disruption we aim to prevent reactivation of latent HSV infections and effectively cure them. Using engineered homing endonucleases that target essential HSV genes we have been able to prevent HSV reactivation from latency in vitro. We have also developed ZFNs targeting essential HSV genes that can inhibit HSV replication in vitro. Our aim is to use these enzymes to prevent HSV reactivation from latency in vivo."

It seems that their method is promising but there is a gap between the results in vivo and in vitro. Finger crossed. Hope that everything is going well with their research.

hi hsv2fighter.  Just curious, how were you able to download the report?  Is there any link?  

I do believe it's legit.  I don't question that.  But I'm just curious if there is any original report or any other info that's accessible.  

MikeHerp
On 12/13/2018 at 1:01 PM, Trace67 said:

Not only is it not Trumps job but I am glad that he doesn't get involved. He has much better things to do. The man barely has time to play golf these days so no he doesn't need to worry about your herpes. The government does have a program set up to deal with infectious diseases as well as others, but you should know that already. Bitching about Trump or Hillary or any president will not get rid of your herpes. You should have listened to those government programs that told you to use condoms, but you probably didn’t so you have only yourself to blame for the next 50 years. Condoms may not be 100 percent, but most of you wouldn’t be on this site had you listened. Herpes shouldn’t be anywhere near the top program that research dollars are spent. Things like cancer and several other life-threatening diseases should receive most of the money but back to the point; there is a program for that with people that make decisions. Think really, really hard, and I think you might figure it out. You can do it, man. If it really makes you feel better to blame Trump then, by all means, go ahead, but it won't do you any good. Crying in a safe room probably wont help either but…

Trace67, you betray an astounding lack of ignorance.  HSV and herpes viruses in general are an epidemic.  With literally billions of people infected and with hundreds of millions infected with HSV2 alone, it's just too stupid to berate people with some education programs.  There's constant and endless education about the dangers of being overweight and alcohol.  And yet, 33% of Americans are obese, while 56% drink every month.  Note: those are things that might actually be more likely to kill you than herpes, but hey, dumb Americans (and dumb humans in general), just can't seem to read the writing on the wall.

HSV is actually implicated in significant morbidity and the range of issues and complications it's associated with has been steadily increasing.  These days, it's also become implicated in Alzheimers.  That's an area that gets hundreds of millions of dollars in research funds.  It's legitimate to ask then, why herpes, which is increasingly implicated in Alzheimers, doesn't get even a fraction of that?

Nobody blames Trump for their herpes. But there's a feeling that more can be done, and that feeling seems  legit.  After all, it's been proposed that we build some giant wall that's going to cost billions of dollars, among many outlandish and wasteful proposals that's been floated by the government.  

Then there's this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/05/22/trump-budget-seeks-huge-cuts-to-disease-prevention-and-medical-research-departments/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.52a58f5a84c7

Fortunately, it was rejected by Congress, but still, it does raise some serious questions about the administration's commitment to medical research.

Sean123

HSV also causes other implications experts neglect to speak widely of. 

HSV affects you systemically because your immune system endures heavy work load from an inexhaustible  amount of hsv reactions and hsv particles which causes inflammation and contributes to other physical and mental problems; there is little wide spread information on this and it needs to be addressed.

Edited by Sean123

KG303
6 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

Trace67, you betray an astounding lack of ignorance.  HSV and herpes viruses in general are an epidemic.  With literally billions of people infected and with hundreds of millions infected with HSV2 alone, it's just too stupid to berate people with some education programs.  There's constant and endless education about the dangers of being overweight and alcohol.  And yet, 33% of Americans are obese, while 56% drink every month.  Note: those are things that might actually be more likely to kill you than herpes, but hey, dumb Americans (and dumb humans in general), just can't seem to read the writing on the wall.

HSV is actually implicated in significant morbidity and the range of issues and complications it's associated with has been steadily increasing.  These days, it's also become implicated in Alzheimers.  That's an area that gets hundreds of millions of dollars in research funds.  It's legitimate to ask then, why herpes, which is increasingly implicated in Alzheimers, doesn't get even a fraction of that?

Nobody blames Trump for their herpes. But there's a feeling that more can be done, and that feeling seems  legit.  After all, it's been proposed that we build some giant wall that's going to cost billions of dollars, among many outlandish and wasteful proposals that's been floated by the government.  

Then there's this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/05/22/trump-budget-seeks-huge-cuts-to-disease-prevention-and-medical-research-departments/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.52a58f5a84c7

Fortunately, it was rejected by Congress, but still, it does raise some serious questions about the administration's commitment to medical research.

Thank you so much for for this post!!

Cas9
1 hour ago, Gunthersunshine said:

@JHenryThank you for posting the link. I tried doing that last night without any luck. It’s great to hear isn’t it. Hopefully a cure is imminent...

What issue did you experience when trying to add the link? Typically, you just copy/paste the url into your message.

JHenry
9 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

What issue did you experience when trying to add the link? Typically, you just copy/paste the url into your message.

I know your question was not directed to me, but........ I googled it, copied and pasted without any issues.  However, last week I attempted to copy and paste a response and after numerous and varied attempts, was never unsuccessful.   

Cas9
8 minutes ago, JHenry said:

I know your question was not directed to me, but........ I googled it, copied and pasted without any issues.  However, last week I attempted to copy and paste a response and after numerous and varied attempts, was never unsuccessful.   

I think you meant to say that last week you attempted to copy and paste and was never successful.  Right?

Edited by Cas9

Cas9
6 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

I think you meant to say that last week you attempted to copy and paste and was never successful.  Right?

@JHenry

Anyway, just asking to make sure but it's seems that you were unsuccessful last week. What happened when you tried and it failed?

JHenry
4 hours ago, Cas9 said:

@JHenry

Anyway, just asking to make sure but it's seems that you were unsuccessful last week. What happened when you tried and it failed?

I could not get the copy/paste function to work using my iPad.  First time that has happened. Oh welllllll.......

MikeHerp

From that Crick Institute article:  "“The good news is that regardless of the tissue of origin – which influences the degree of DNA ‘openness’ at specific genes – target regions containing an A or T at the key position show common editing,” says Paola. “This means that, if we carefully select the target DNA, we can be pretty confident that we’ll see the same effect in different tissues.”

Hopefully this would have an application in the latent HSV context as well since latent HSV has been close to impossible to edit with CRISPR Cas 9 so far.