World's Largest Herpes Support Group
ManagingIllness

R2 - Live Attenuated Virus That Cannot Cause Latent Infection

ManagingIllness

Not sure if this one has been mentioned yet. It's a live attenuated vaccine targeting an HSV protein called R2. Basically, it is a mutant HSV that can infect skin cells and reproduce, but which lacks the machinery necessary to travel along the neuronal axon (a necessary step in establishing latency). This enables the live virus to reproduce and engage your immune system, without the ability to become a latent, chronic disease. 

Consistent with the axonal transport deficit, the mutant viruses did not reach sites of latency in peripheral ganglia, and were avirulent. Despite this, viral propagation in peripheral tissues and in cultured epithelial cell lines remained robust....Time-lapse imaging of cultured primary sensory neurons following infection with fluorescent reporter viruses revealed that mutations in R2 profoundly impaired retrograde axonal transport....The ability to selectively eliminate the neuroinvasive property of these viruses, without otherwise impairing their replication, has potential as a new class of live-attenuated vaccines. In principle, the selective attenuation afforded by the R2 mutants should prevent vaccine-associated neuroinvasive disease and life-long latent infections...

Original paper: 

https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1006741

Blog articles:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-herpes-virus-mutant-vaccine-strategy.html#nRlv

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/herpes-protein-ul37-r2-mutation-may-improve-current-vaccines-hsv1-hsv2-and-varicella-zoster-virus

Trace67
18 minutes ago, ManagingIllness said:

Not sure if this one has been mentioned yet. It's a live attenuated vaccine targeting an HSV protein called R2. Basically, it is a mutant HSV that can infect skin cells and reproduce, but which lacks the machinery necessary to travel along the neuronal axon (a necessary step in establishing latency). This enables the live virus to reproduce and engage your immune system, without the ability to become a latent, chronic disease. 

Original paper: 

https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1006741

Blog articles:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-herpes-virus-mutant-vaccine-strategy.html#nRlv

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/herpes-protein-ul37-r2-mutation-may-improve-current-vaccines-hsv1-hsv2-and-varicella-zoster-virus

It didnt work for Halford and his should have been better as it did go latent and continued to stimulate the immune system so this is most likely doomed to fail.

Divon

It´s interesting how so many people say that Halfords thing did not work. Yet more participants did seem to get helped by it than the opposite and some reported that it pretty much got rid of their symptoms entirely. Very often though it feels as if peoples expectations are that it will get rid of all symptoms for everyone taking it. Obviously something like this would not achieve such a result, it would only help the body fighting it better.

Juggalo

>90% of Halfords patients gained almost total immunity against HSV and probably continue up until now.

Whymewhyus?

Voyager2

If they are SURE this cannot become latent, and the body's immune system can defeat it at the skin surface, it might just work as a prophylactic vaccine. Let's hope they try it out on some other animals, like guinea pigs and monkeys. I could be wrong, but if it can't go latent and the initial outbreak goes away, it isn't coming back.

sochke
10 hours ago, Whymewhyus? said:

How many petitions is he going to start? 

The last one he didn't do f-all with!

i think he is keep on trying

Cas9
On 12/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, Trace67 said:

It didnt work for Halford and his should have been better as it did go latent and continued to stimulate the immune system so this is most likely doomed to fail.

Halford's vaccine caused a latent infection? i.e. someone who did not have herpes was injected with his vaccine and now has herpes?

Whymewhyus?
15 hours ago, sochke said:

i think he is keep on trying

If he was going to keep trying he would have not closed his last one that had over 5000 people he could have changed it and anyone who wanted who wanted to remove the name could have.