World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Tiberius

Do we have a go fundme or Donation vehicle set up?

Tiberius

Most of us here have  vested interest for any type of research or cure to succeed.  In fact I am willing to bet a lot would donate to a gofund me that would use the funds to give to a company/school/research team etc who is advancing their search for a cure or treatment.  

If its its 10-20 bucks a week that would add up given all those who are infected.  Surprised no one set this up. 

Cas9
1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Most of us here have  vested interest for any type of research or cure to succeed.  In fact I am willing to bet a lot would donate to a gofund me that would use the funds to give to a company/school/research team etc who is advancing their search for a cure or treatment.  

If its its 10-20 bucks a week that would add up given all those who are infected.  Surprised no one set this up. 

Why don't you set it up. Let's see how it goes.

Edited by Cas9

Tiberius
10 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

Why don't you set it up. Let's see how it goes.

I think it would be more reputable from a forum...that has good oversight and a vision on how funds should be allocated.  

The #1 issue I see is funding in this space.  estimated 60-70% of population are infected.   I think since there is very little organization yet a HUGE market....this could create some awareness as most who have it would spend a lot of money for a cure.  

Cas9
2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think it would be more reputable from a forum...that has good oversight and a vision on how funds should be allocated.  

The #1 issue I see is funding in this space.  estimated 60-70% of population are infected.   I think since there is very little organization yet a HUGE market....this could create some awareness as most who have it would spend a lot of money for a cure.  

I don't follow. If you mean from this forum, then who starts the process?

Tiberius
4 hours ago, Cas9 said:

I don't follow. If you mean from this forum, then who starts the process?

Who runs this forum?  someone had to have created it or a mod.  

Cas9
8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Who runs this forum?  someone had to have created it or a mod.  

No, it spontaneously came into existence. Just kidding.

I was leading you on with my questions. The fact is that you can't do anything like setting up a fund collecting vehicle on this website. The people that run this website can be contacted via HC-Support-Team. Don't forget to add the apersand before the name

Edited by Cas9

StayingUpbeat

The answer to a question you didn't exactly ask (but is ultimately the most important point) is these crowdfunding campaigns can raise about $50K.

Read this thread to learn everything you need to know about the past three cure crowdfunding campaigns and why that ends up being about the upper limit.

In conversations about a decade ago with Shenda (@HC-Support-Team) regarding fundraising for cure research directly via this site it was tried with disastrous result.  Ultimately it became hard written policy that HC would not get involved with that again.

Tiberius
13 hours ago, StayingUpbeat said:

The answer to a question you didn't exactly ask (but is ultimately the most important point) is these crowdfunding campaigns can raise about $50K.

Read this thread to learn everything you need to know about the past three cure crowdfunding campaigns and why that ends up being about the upper limit.

In conversations about a decade ago with Shenda (@HC-Support-Team) regarding fundraising for cure research directly via this site it was tried with disastrous result.  Ultimately it became hard written policy that HC would not get involved with that again.

its very odd that it can't work.  I have several bounties in a few tech projects I am in .  They total a large amount of money (well over $400K)  and if protocol errors are hacked. fixed the money goes to the group/individual.  The way I see it now raising money would probably go to Excision Bio as they seem to be the closest or another team who has really a good shot at creating something sustainable.  NOT randomly throwing money all over the place

Now high rate of failure here yes....but right now its  easier for me to donate to cancer research than HSV research..or practically any other disease.  With so many people having this disease I find it amazing how fragmented the community is. 

CanadianGuy
On 12/19/2018 at 1:26 PM, Tiberius said:

its very odd that it can't work.  I have several bounties in a few tech projects I am in .  They total a large amount of money (well over $400K)  and if protocol errors are hacked. fixed the money goes to the group/individual.  The way I see it now raising money would probably go to Excision Bio as they seem to be the closest or another team who has really a good shot at creating something sustainable.  NOT randomly throwing money all over the place

Now high rate of failure here yes....but right now its  easier for me to donate to cancer research than HSV research..or practically any other disease.  With so many people having this disease I find it amazing how fragmented the community is. 

It's quite sad really. Nobody seems to be able to rally everyone together to fight for a cure. Everyone prefers to stay in the shadows out of embarrassment even though theres nothing to be embarrassed about.

Cas9
1 hour ago, CanadianGuy said:

It's quite sad really. Nobody seems to be able to rally everyone together to fight for a cure. Everyone prefers to stay in the shadows out of embarrassment even though theres nothing to be embarrassed about.

Because what's proposed is not simple. Do you have a simple plan for making it happen? If so, let's hear it.

Tiberius
On 12/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, Cas9 said:

Because what's proposed is not simple. Do you have a simple plan for making it happen? If so, let's hear it.

you are correct but thats why there is no cure  everyone is giving up (including investors) right now Excision bio is the only front runner for any hope.  They have been dead silent, they delayed trials....could be good news that its working they need more time on animals to determine outcome or its failing.

China has some interesting finds, but they are so tight lipped its impossible to speculate.  I'd assume they will come out with a cure ( or a therapeutic treatment before anyone else).  

this virus is near impossible to crack but we need more funding for it.  Its essentially like a non lethal (debatable) cancer. 

aboriginal_alien

In all honesty, an anonymous 'GoFundMe' page could be great. Im sure a social media campaign promoting this could get alot of interest, assuming we propose it properly. 

Only issues i can think of are as such:

Need a genuine, potential filled company to invest into, one that is really onto something, or even a branch of studies, not necessarily a company, if that makes sense. Like 'Crispr research' as a whole instead of an individual company.

Another issue I see would be ensuring that the funding page is ran in a way that the donations will reach the desired organisation/field of research.

I do believe that if people were given a simple, anonymous way to donate, a high percentage would...... 

Miss Horne

Look at the Fred Hutch donation link MikeHerp set up, if you want to donate towards research :thumbsup:

MikeHerp
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Miss Horne said:

Look at the Fred Hutch donation link MikeHerp set up, if you want to donate towards research :thumbsup:

Thanks Miss Horne and blurneworder!  You beat me to it! 

http://engage.fredhutch.org/goto/hsvresearch

Edited by MikeHerp

tayelle
10 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

Help me spread the word on social media! 

http://engage.fredhutch.org/goto/hsvresearch

Hi mike,

Can you share this on the herpes reddit group, H opp, etc

Also contact youtube's like belize spivey, Lauren HD to see if they can make a blog about upcoming research and this campaign. 

Miss Horne
Posted (edited)

Sorry I mean no offence but I think we should all try and do something, asking MikeHerp to do all the work isn’t really fair (or perhaps he doesn’t mind, I don’t know). I’ve sent the link to a few people this morning. 

I know for a fact HOpp won’t participate in any kind of fund raising, I asked them a while ago.

I’m not too familiar with the bloggers, does anyone here follow any of them and could post a comment on their channel? Just a thought. 

Edited by Miss Horne

tayelle
1 hour ago, Miss Horne said:

Sorry I mean no offence but I think we should all try and do something, asking MikeHerp to do all the work isn’t really fair (or perhaps he doesn’t mind, I don’t know). I’ve sent the link to a few people this morning. 

I know for a fact HOpp won’t participate in any kind of fund raising, I asked them a while ago.

I’m not too familiar with the bloggers, does anyone here follow any of them and could post a comment on their channel? Just a thought. 

..By all means am I asking Mike to do everything.  I for one am unfamiliar with fred hutch research and what the findings are  ..so essentially having someone who is more familiar and can explain what they do can be more beneficial to people to donate.  Posting o. HOpp forms doesn't require you to ask them to participate,  it just gets the word out there. I have contacted organizations and posted on some forums to see if they can talk about upcoming research as a whole & not just about our frustrations.

I listed the youtubers names above. They usually get thousands of views per post so that would be great exposure if one did a quick blog about it. 

MikeHerp
12 hours ago, Miss Horne said:

Thanks Miss Horne!

Yes, I definitely need everyone's help with this.  

To anyone who is not familiar with what Fred Hutch is doing, I suggest linking to this: https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2016/09/can-gene-editing-cure-herpes.html

There's a third party report about it here: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/can-we-gene-edit-herpes-away-180968551/

That's what they were able to do in 2016, and there was a report at a conference earlier this year, which suggested that they have now reached almost 20% to 30% editing of latent virus in mice.  There's a discussion about that somewhere on this forum.  I have a copy of the report, so I believe it's legit (the report contains the same info that was posted in this forum).