World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Oakleybear7

Doesn't seem to want to go away...

Oakleybear7

I was diagnosed in November with hsv2 after unprotected sex with a partner who didn't know they had it (and still hasn't gotten tested - a whole other story...). My first outbreak was awful. My doctor didn't think I had hsv2 so didn't test me despite my initial concerns, I was diagnosed by a doctor at a walk in clinic. I was prescribed valacyclovir and that was another round of hell for me... turns out I'm allergic and it caused urine retention. Fun times not being able to pee properly for over a week. I was switched to acyclovir and it works alright for me, but since my initial diagnosis (Nov.26) I've had 1 outbreak and another bout of symptoms. It never feels like it has fully remissed. I get maybe a day or two of reprieve, but that's all. 

Just wondering if this is the case for anyone else? If so, how do you manage? When is it appropriate to decide to take suppressive treatment instead of intermittent? 

Also, someone had said to me that if I don't use intermittent treatment that the virus will get stronger and therefore my symptoms would get worse with time, is there any truth to this?

Whoknew?

I “think” I’ve had ghsv for over a year now. The reason I say “think” is because I’ve had at least 6 negative IGGs, negative western blot, and 2 negative PCR swabs. But the last 6 months I’ve had constant symptoms. There is never a day I don’t have some sort of bump in my body or a weird feeling in my gentials. Valtrex did absolutely nothing for me. My symptoms are on the butt. Never blisters, but little red bumps that come and go day after day. Get them on my chest, back, everywhere. Most people wouldn’t even notice them but I can tell. All doctors tell me I don’t have HSV. I’m at a loss. So I feel your pain. I’d love to just go a single day without feeling anything. 

blurneworder
36 minutes ago, Whoknew? said:

I “think” I’ve had ghsv for over a year now. The reason I say “think” is because I’ve had at least 6 negative IGGs, negative western blot, and 2 negative PCR swabs. But the last 6 months I’ve had constant symptoms. There is never a day I don’t have some sort of bump in my body or a weird feeling in my gentials. Valtrex did absolutely nothing for me. My symptoms are on the butt. Never blisters, but little red bumps that come and go day after day. Get them on my chest, back, everywhere. Most people wouldn’t even notice them but I can tell. All doctors tell me I don’t have HSV. I’m at a loss. So I feel your pain. I’d love to just go a single day without feeling anything. 

I’m in the same boat.

Oakleybear7

I have a constant feeling that there’s a bug or something crawling around my genitals. It’s super distracting and unnerving. 

Have either of you found anything that provides some remote relief?

floydmonk

I have gHSV1 and I get the tingling feeling. I would assume it’s worse with HSV2. Indeed it never goes away, and when I first got infected I was very aggressive with the doctor to get more acyclovir. I only got 20 days of treatment which the doctor seemed to think was plenty. I strongly disagree. 

Overtime the virus weakens, but I think from the get-go you have to really punch it hard. I still get tingling and a slight itch almost at some point each day, but it no longer distracts me every minute of the day which is key to being able to work and enjoy life.

I have often read Olive Leaf extract helps. I take this along with beta glucans to manage my tougher days. I’m 6 months into my diagnosis. Good luck!

Whoknew?

I haven’t really found anything that seems to help. I’ve tried it all. I do have a low thyroid and am being treated for that. I think that might have something to do with my body not being able to stop the symptoms. I do feel like this is getting worse for me and not better. Just in the last few days I will get a random warm sensation that goes over the top of my foot. It’s the craziest thing. Also, some hip pain that has me walking weird at times. And I’m only 35 and pretty healthy. I feel like this thing is literally affecting my entire body. Hopefully one day we can all find some relief. 

Edited by Whoknew?