Jump to content
World's Largest Herpes Support Group
steel_panther

Side effects of valtrex

Recommended Posts

steel_panther

Hey everyone, recently was taking valtrex for an ob and realized today I’ve been feeling very weak, joint stiffness, sad, etc. and looked at the side effects and sure enough that’s what all of the ones from valtrex were for.  Just wondering, anyone else experience this before and if so did they go back to the doctor? What did the doctor tell them to do for this? Just stop taking the pills? Is there anything I can mix with it to feel better? 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roja

Jep, unfortunately I had the same experience with valtrex on suppression. I feel like Aciclovir is better, but I have only used it with OB, not suppressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther
18 minutes ago, Roja said:

Jep, unfortunately I had the same experience with valtrex on suppression. I feel like Aciclovir is better, but I have only used it with OB, not suppressive. 

What did the doctor do? Just tel you to stop taking? And everything eventually went back to normal? Joint pain, mood, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oakleybear7

Valtrex was hell for me. I only took it for about 4 days before I had to switch to acyclovir. It caused headaches, neck aches, nausea, and best of all - urine retention. Super fun not being able to pee when drinking a fair amount of water is required with AVs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roja
13 hours ago, steel_panther said:

What did the doctor do? Just tel you to stop taking? And everything eventually went back to normal? Joint pain, mood, etc.?

I actually wasn't aware about the side effects. I just didn't know what was going on with me. I lost weight, felt very weak and had nausea (but at least no OB, haha). I also had various acute hearing losses.. No one really thought about the connection to valtrex. I stopped taking them after one year (that was the initial plan) and went back to normal. 

Edited by Roja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lulupazoola

Using Valtrex for OBs only, having them once a month, lowered my platelets in about 3 mos.--not to a dangerous level, but it scared the sh*t out of me. Thought i had a bad disease, as low platelets is absolutely not a good sign.  Finally, they figured out it was the valtrex and that was it for prescribing me AV's, as they all had that potential side effect.  My latest dr prescribed 5 pills of Famcyclovir which is a newer AV.  I have a blood test scheduled and will know pretty soon whether it is lowering my platelets.  I took 2 1/2 pills per outbreak for 2 outbreaks and got some relief, so am really hoping i can at least take it occasionally.  That is the idea--to at least be able to get occasional relief.  Anyway, i had no other effects from taking it so perhaps that is something u could try.  I get depression and fatigue from the OB's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roja
21 minutes ago, Lulupazoola said:

Using Valtrex for OBs only, having them once a month, lowered my platelets in about 3 mos.--not to a dangerous level, but it scared the sh*t out of me. Thought i had a bad disease, as low platelets is absolutely not a good sign.  Finally, they figured out it was the valtrex and that was it for prescribing me AV's, as they all had that potential side effect.  My latest dr prescribed 5 pills of Famcyclovir which is a newer AV.  I have a blood test scheduled and will know pretty soon whether it is lowering my platelets.  I took 2 1/2 pills per outbreak for 2 outbreaks and got some relief, so am really hoping i can at least take it occasionally.  That is the idea--to at least be able to get occasional relief.  Anyway, i had no other effects from taking it so perhaps that is something u could try.  I get depression and fatigue from the OB's.

Please keep us updated about your blood results!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • The Hive is Thriving!

    • Total Topics
      69,333
    • Total Posts
      466,587
  • Posts

    • information seeker
      I will get it fixed. I getting some help from some former journalist to make ads
    • Friends
      My Neurologist prescribed me Escitalopram for the nerve pain. Really haven’t started taking it, I was hoping the nerve pain just stops. Some way some how he told me that I will never have an outbreak and I haven’t..Weird?  Anyway I’m married, for 15years. When I discovered I had HSV my wife got tested as we’ll found out she had it since college!! Didn’t know that the fever blisters she got in college was HSV...I trust that this is how I got it. But wouldn’t you know she has no symptoms at all other than she knows she has it. There maybe something to this that there is something else wrong here besides HSV.
    • oneday
      Dr David Knipe from Harvard I'm pretty sure
    • Lucy29
      It’s not our heads that cause the sores I think this wound be very stupid for doctors to say as you can clearly see a sore.. however I do think if you are focused on a sensation constantly you will zone in on this feeling and always notice it I suffer from anxiety anyway in general so I do think some of my sensations maybe anxiety related.. but no or course cuts/ blisters  cannot be  
    • blurneworder
      I've noticed a trend of people sharing stories about doctors telling them the tingling sensation is all in their head or caused by the patient themselves. My doctors did the same thing. I explained that I am not making myself confused and dizzy nor am I causing my skin to cut itself open on my penis and lips.
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.