World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Aunty

Working out and OBs

Aunty

I have had herpes for about 18 years now.
I have frequent OBs since contacting it. I have changed my diet but nothing stops the OBs
Every month it happens and can last for a couple of weeks.

I have now started working out at the gym and started to lift light weights. But it brought an OB on and this time, the sores have broken out on my butt, where they normally do, but now started to go onto the top of my leg!
I was shocked when I felt the pain and soreness on my leg and then I seen them.

Is it normal for this to happen when you start working out?

Just trying to get myself fit but hoping it doesn't make my OBs worse by doing so.

Lulupazoola
5 hours ago, Aunty said:

I have frequent OBs since contacting it. I have changed my diet but nothing stops the OBs

I have now started working out at the gym and started to lift light weights. But it brought an OB on and this time, the sores have broken out on my butt, where they normally do, but now started to go onto the top of my leg!

Just trying to get myself fit but hoping it doesn't make my OBs worse by doing so.

I have read elsewhere on this forum more than one guy lamenting that working out brings on OB's.  I was doing 3 mile walks and had to give them up because the great endorphins feeling would be quickly followed by a nasty OB.  The same with working in my yard.  I am getting some relief with a newer AV, Famcyclovir and really hoping my body will tolerate it and let me walk, work outside again.  So yeah, this does happen to people unfortunately.  

MikeHerp
11 hours ago, Aunty said:

I find that working out hard can trigger outbreaks.  I suggest just doing things regularly but at low intensity.  And just take it from there.  It's not easy because sometimes you just want to "go for it", so to speak.  

Try going for long walks or stretching.  Go with extra light weights.

May I ask how old you are.  I wonder whether you might be old enough that your immune system is not as good anymore.  But anyway, you can still do stuff, just have to figure out your threshold.  

Roja
15 hours ago, Aunty said:

Have you checked your blood? B12, vit d, magnesium, zinc, vit b,.. Maybe you're low on something? 

Hormones can also have a huge impact on herpes! 

I have had herpes for 11 years now and what helped me a lot is echinacea + olive oil extract. I also bought a creme for hydrating my genital area and it helps a lot with tickling etc. 

However, the most effective thing for it has been accepting and learning to not drive yourself crazy. Get well soon ! ☺

Miss Horne

Working out brings it on for me, everything does, I think breathing is my trigger :joy:

Lulupazoola
On 12/26/2018 at 3:36 PM, Aunty said:

I have read elsewhere on this forum more than one guy lamenting that working out brings on OB's.  I was doing 3 mile walks and had to give them up because the great endorphins feeling would be quickly followed by a nasty OB.  The same with working in my yard.  I am getting some relief with a newer AV, Famcyclovir and really hoping my body will tolerate it and let me walk, work outside again.  So yeah, this does happen to people unfortunately.  

Lulupazoola

I didnt mean to be discouraging in my earlier post.  Hopefully u r younger than me and your body will fight it off better.  And it makes sense that working out with less intensity might work for u.  My husband told me to walk 1 mile instead of 3 and work 1 or 2 hours in the yard instead of 3 or 4.  Somehow that is not very gratifying to me.  Bad attitude, i know!  But i was having continuous breakouts, feeling awful most of the time and just couldnt be rocking the boat. So for now, i get no exercise at all for the first time in my life.  I wish u luck with gearing down to a place where the virus doesnt act up.

steel_panther

My personal experience is that it does not trigger out breaks when I go to the gym (which is frequent).  I try and go everyday sometimes twice a day.  It sounds like with your symptoms you have it differently than I do.  Not sure what to tell you for advice but I heard working out was good for this sort of thing.

Good luck out there

Aunty
On 12/27/2018 at 1:56 AM, Lulupazoola said:

Thank you Lulupazoola
I was thinking of doing the walking exercise as well! 

Aunty
On 12/27/2018 at 8:37 AM, MikeHerp said:

I find that working out hard can trigger outbreaks.  I suggest just doing things regularly but at low intensity.  And just take it from there.  It's not easy because sometimes you just want to "go for it", so to speak.  

Try going for long walks or stretching.  Go with extra light weights.

May I ask how old you are.  I wonder whether you might be old enough that your immune system is not as good anymore.  But anyway, you can still do stuff, just have to figure out your threshold.  

Thank you MikeHerp
Sounds like good advice. I will slow it down and see how I go.
I do stretching everyday and love it.
This year I will be 50. I know my immune system as shot it.
Even blood test at the doctors, when I am feeling good, come back with low white blood cells!
Will take your advice as I can not leave working out. I enjoy it so much.
Will go with the lower weights.

Aunty
On 12/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, Lulupazoola said:

I didnt mean to be discouraging in my earlier post.  Hopefully u r younger than me and your body will fight it off better.  And it makes sense that working out with less intensity might work for u.  My husband told me to walk 1 mile instead of 3 and work 1 or 2 hours in the yard instead of 3 or 4.  Somehow that is not very gratifying to me.  Bad attitude, i know!  But i was having continuous breakouts, feeling awful most of the time and just couldnt be rocking the boat. So for now, i get no exercise at all for the first time in my life.  I wish u luck with gearing down to a place where the virus doesnt act up.

No you are not being discouraging. I appreciate your input!
It makes a lot of sense reading these post.
I have had OB all through having herpes and it really gets me down.
I just want it to stop now.  I love working out so much and need to now I am nearly 50.
Anything is worth a try but no matter what I do, I get the OB again and again. No letting up.
Just don't want it to travel anywhere else on my body.
Thank you and I wish you good luck to, we all deserve it. 

Aunty
On 12/27/2018 at 12:10 PM, Roja said:

Have you checked your blood? B12, vit d, magnesium, zinc, vit b,.. Maybe you're low on something? 

Hormones can also have a huge impact on herpes! 

I have had herpes for 11 years now and what helped me a lot is echinacea + olive oil extract. I also bought a creme for hydrating my genital area and it helps a lot with tickling etc. 

However, the most effective thing for it has been accepting and learning to not drive yourself crazy. Get well soon ! ☺

You have made a very good point Roja! I have had bloods taken for regular check ups and it always comes back with low white blood cells.
But never been checked to see if I am low on anything!
I will be getting that done asap. Thank you
I take B12 and B vitamins plus Zinc but not taken magnesium before.
Echinacea and olive oil extract is something else I have not tried. I will try this and see if it helps.
Thank you so much. You have been a big help!

Aunty
On 12/27/2018 at 12:16 PM, Miss Horne said:

Working out brings it on for me, everything does, I think breathing is my trigger :joy:

Thank you Miss Horne, you made me laugh lol
Me and you together lol

Aunty
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, steel_panther said:

My personal experience is that it does not trigger out breaks when I go to the gym (which is frequent).  I try and go everyday sometimes twice a day.  It sounds like with your symptoms you have it differently than I do.  Not sure what to tell you for advice but I heard working out was good for this sort of thing.

Good luck out there

Thank you steel-panther
I have always exercised and always had the OB
But this time I started to lift weights. Before it was dumbbells.
I heard the same thing also and even from the doctors that it is a good thing for herpes.
Slowing it down to start with as others have said and see how it goes. 

Edited by Aunty

Lulupazoola
38 minutes ago, Aunty said:

No you are not being discouraging. I appreciate your input!
It makes a lot of sense reading these post.
I have had OB all through having herpes and it really gets me down.
I just want it to stop now.  I love working out so much and need to now I am nearly 50.
Anything is worth a try but no matter what I do, I get the OB again and again. No letting up.
Just don't want it to travel anywhere else on my body.
Thank you and I wish you good luck to, we all deserve it. 

Lulupazoola

I am 71 and didnt even have an OB until i was 67.  It was lurking in my body for about 40 years.  I almost made it out the door with the dogs this morning, but then thought "gosh, this is my second day OB free--do i really want to stir things up?"  I know i need to get out there again though, take a little risk, not walk very far.  Slowly increase, stay under 3 mi.  I have an anti-herpes regimen Im working on.  If i ever have any luck backing the OB's off a little, i will share.  I am using olive leaf and neem but so far i see no difference.  Now im working on building up on vitamin C, 9 g's a day so far.  Ive also made diet changes.  Am disappointed nothing seems to have an effect, but patience is necessary.  The people who succeeded thru diet said it doesnt happen quickly.

Aunty
24 minutes ago, Lulupazoola said:

I am 71 and didnt even have an OB until i was 67.  It was lurking in my body for about 40 years.  I almost made it out the door with the dogs this morning, but then thought "gosh, this is my second day OB free--do i really want to stir things up?"  I know i need to get out there again though, take a little risk, not walk very far.  Slowly increase, stay under 3 mi.  I have an anti-herpes regimen Im working on.  If i ever have any luck backing the OB's off a little, i will share.  I am using olive leaf and neem but so far i see no difference.  Now im working on building up on vitamin C, 9 g's a day so far.  Ive also made diet changes.  Am disappointed nothing seems to have an effect, but patience is necessary.  The people who succeeded thru diet said it doesnt happen quickly.

Bless you! I can understand what you mean fully. When you are OB free, you don't want to upset it and try to stay save.
Yes, please let me know if it works for you. I pray it does!
Olive leaf extract is mentioned here with echinacea. I will try it as I have tried just about everything else.
I have changed my diet years ago and nothing changed.
I had another OB just as the one before cleared up! I have always taken vitamin C but read that taking the larger amount can help with an OB.
It's been just under a week that I started taking 2,000mg and the OB as gone. A little tingling in the scaring area but nothing else, which is great for me.
So maybe more vitamin C is a good thing for me?!

I really hope and pray that you find the thing that works for you. 
It stops us from really living and that is so sad.
Good luck and keep in touch please.

Lulupazoola

At least i feel pretty trusting that taking a lot of vitamin C isnt going to hurt anything.  Thats more trust than ive had for the AV's.  Did u read on this forum where a guy felt he had "cured" himself with large doses of vitamin C?  Like 38 g's a day.  He hadnt had a BO in a long time.  So its pretty simple to try, altho a lot of pill swallowing.  I also put a little C powder in smoothies and lemon water.  O yes, me too--often i will break out just a day or 2 apart.  That way u dont get to have it all over with at one time, but get to have all the unpleasant symptoms strung out over a long period of time!  

blimblam
24 minutes ago, Lulupazoola said:

At least i feel pretty trusting that taking a lot of vitamin C isnt going to hurt anything.  

You may want to watch out for kidney stones (high dosing with vitamin C can increase your risk).

Believe me, you DON'T want these.

Lulupazoola

Ok.  Thats something i didnt know.  Thank u for the info.

LovedAnyway

Actually, the study that claimed vitamin c supplementation was causing kidney stones was not a good study.

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v09n05.shtml

I am in a FB group “Vitamin C and Orthomolecular Medicine” and you can find a LOT of helpful info there.  Vit C is a miracle but you have to be dedicated and consistent.

blimblam

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472830/

Urinary oxalate excretion plays a critical role in calcium oxalate stone formation. The majority of urinary oxalate is derived from endogenous synthesis and dietary sources.

This was done with twice daily doses (2g in total):

There were no changes in urinary pH after vitamin C ingestion in either group, although there was a moderate and statistically significant increase in urinary oxalate excretion in controls (20%) and stone-formers (33%).

Roja
10 hours ago, Aunty said:

You have made a very good point Roja! I have had bloods taken for regular check ups and it always comes back with low white blood cells.
But never been checked to see if I am low on anything!
I will be getting that done asap. Thank you
I take B12 and B vitamins plus Zinc but not taken magnesium before.
Echinacea and olive oil extract is something else I have not tried. I will try this and see if it helps.
Thank you so much. You have been a big help!

That is good to hear, thanks! :-) 

PurpleandGray

Intense workouts are also a trigger for me. Yoga and walking don’t cause me any issues so maybe try those. Good luck!

Ladyb2018
On 12/26/2018 at 3:36 PM, Aunty said:

What type do you have if I may ask ! I work our hard and newly diagnosed I was wondering if this will trigger anything ? I have Hsv1