World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MikeHerp

Donations to Fred Hutch Center

Miss Horne

MikeHerp I applaud you, this is well written and I think you should send it as it is. I hope it makes a difference. Thank you for your efforts. 

I’m going to deactivate my account today for a couple of months at least. I haven’t contributed much to the forum but I find there’s too much negativity here from some people, other people question if I have herpes, someone tried to sell me some herbs, someone even tried to chat me up, all of which I think is unpleasant and unnecessary. 

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts, they are always informative, helpful and give me a little bit of hope when I’m facing my darkest days. I’ll keep an eye out on your blog from time to time, who knows we might hear some good news in the future.

Wishing you all the best until next time.

Miss Horne :heart: 

MikeHerp

Ohh, i'm sorry to hear that Miss Horne.  You seem like a lovely person.

I'll miss your pleasant and positive attitude here, and your contributions to the discussions. 

It's important that we all support each other so it's too bad that we are losing you.

Feel free to contact me here in the future.  

Tone123
4 hours ago, Miss Horne said:

MikeHerp I applaud you, this is well written and I think you should send it as it is. I hope it makes a difference. Thank you for your efforts. 

I’m going to deactivate my account today for a couple of months at least. I haven’t contributed much to the forum but I find there’s too much negativity here from some people, other people question if I have herpes, someone tried to sell me some herbs, someone even tried to chat me up, all of which I think is unpleasant and unnecessary. 

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts, they are always informative, helpful and give me a little bit of hope when I’m facing my darkest days. I’ll keep an eye out on your blog from time to time, who knows we might hear some good news in the future.

Wishing you all the best until next time.

Miss Horne :heart: 

Thank you Mike and hopefully you get some positive feedback. Miss Horne it's too bad you're gonna leave us but I understand and agree with you reasonings.  I too will take a break as it seems like you can't get positive feedback or even questions answered from the experienced folks. I'm just gonna wait to see if I get a positive on the nect test in a few wks and go from there. 

Lulupazoola

Miss Horne, so sorry to see u go. I know exactly how u feel!  I am dealing with it by not ever reading posts by certain people.  As soon as i see their name, i move on.  Still, it is a very poor representation of this forum to have it so dominated by such negative individuals.  It is not the environment people with this condition need for it to be, especially lately.  Its really out of control.

Lulupazoola

Mikeherp--wonderful letter!  My only editing suggestion would be to add "as well as disability" dysfunction or similar word after "both psychologically and physically".  Many of us give up activities we previously enjoyed due to feeling ill or fear of triggering OB's (i.e. excercise and recreational activities that r somewhat physically demanding. I dont know how many people have their work affected by this disease, but i imagine many.)  I will donate if they adopt your suggestion and create a drop down button for HSV.  

MikeHerp

Hey guys, I got a reply!  My gift WILL be earmarked for HSV research.  If you donate there, you can also send them an e-mail and ask your donation to go to HSV.  Because of this, I will likely donate again in the future.

They are also reviewing the donation target options on their website and, while they don't know yet if HSV will be included, maybe if more people donate and send a similar message as I sent, that might persuade them to add HSV as a specific donation target in their drop down menu.  I think that would be great.  Keep in mind that until Dec 31, your gift may also be matched.

It's completely up to you if you would like to donate.  I'm not personally soliciting that you donate, but for me, I thought it would make sense to donate somewhere and be a part of the research that is going on.  I really think Keith Jerome and the Jerome Lab are doing some great work.  Remember, they were the first to prove disruption of a portion of latent HSV in an animal in vivo, and according to the recent reports, it seems they've been making their editing experiments more efficient.  

I'd love HSV to be cured or to have better treatment options, and I'm confident there will be in the future, maybe faster than we even expect.  Once there are better treatments or a cure, I want to be able to say that I added something, did my part, even if it was modest.

Reply I got is below: 

Hi [XXXXX],

Thank you so very much for your gift to Fred Hutch. I can absolutely direct your gift to HSV research.

I completely understand your suggestion to add HSV research to our funding option drop down menu on our website. In fact, the options listed on our website are currently under review. I do not know yet if HSV will be including pending this review, but I will keep you up-to-date on this matter as we move forward. Please note that you may always make a gift over the phone with me or by check via mail and have it directed to HSV research.

We will change your $100 gift from HIV/AIDs to HSV research this afternoon.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me. Your phone calls and emails are always welcome.

Sincerely,

Andrea

Andrea MacPherson Larson
Annual Giving Manager
Philanthropy
206.667.5242 Office

206.795.0890 Mobile
amlarson@fredhutch.org 

http://www.fredhutch.org/content/dam/public/email-signatures/2/fred_hutch_logo.png
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Ave. N., Mail Stop J5-200
Seattle, WA 98109

fredhutch.org

Roja
12 minutes ago, MikeHerp said:

Hey guys, I got a reply!  My gift WILL be earmarked for HSV research.  If you donate there, you can also send them an e-mail and ask your donation to go to HSV.  Because of this, I will likely donate again in the future.

They are also reviewing the donation target options on their website and, while they don't know yet if HSV will be included, maybe if more people donate and send a similar message as I sent, that might persuade them to add HSV as a specific donation target in their drop down menu.  I think that would be great.  Keep in mind that until Dec 31, your gift may also be matched.

It's completely up to you if you would like to donate.  I'm not personally soliciting that you donate, but for me, I thought it would make sense to donate somewhere and be a part of the research that is going on.  I really think Keith Jerome and the Jerome Lab are doing some great work.  Remember, they were the first to prove disruption of a portion of latent HSV in an animal in vivo, and according to the recent reports, it seems they've been making their editing experiments more efficient.  

I'd love HSV to be cured or to have better treatment options, and I'm confident there will be in the future, maybe faster than we even expect.  Once there are better treatments or a cure, I want to be able to say that I added something, did my part, even if it was modest.

Reply I got is below: 

Hi [XXXXX],

Thank you so very much for your gift to Fred Hutch. I can absolutely direct your gift to HSV research.

I completely understand your suggestion to add HSV research to our funding option drop down menu on our website. In fact, the options listed on our website are currently under review. I do not know yet if HSV will be including pending this review, but I will keep you up-to-date on this matter as we move forward. Please note that you may always make a gift over the phone with me or by check via mail and have it directed to HSV research.

We will change your $100 gift from HIV/AIDs to HSV research this afternoon.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me. Your phone calls and emails are always welcome.

Sincerely,

Andrea

Andrea MacPherson Larson
Annual Giving Manager
Philanthropy
206.667.5242 Office

206.795.0890 Mobile
amlarson@fredhutch.org 

http://www.fredhutch.org/content/dam/public/email-signatures/2/fred_hutch_logo.png
Seattle, WA 98109

fredhutch.org

That is so cool!! :-)

emz

Amazing job @MikeHerp! Thanks so much for this- is there anyway this can be pinned to the main board on the homepage?  I feel like there are many of us that would probably consider donating if given half the chance.. I think it's a little drop of positivity if we are directly contributing to research that could bring a brighter future in treatments and potential cures. :)

purp7e
Posted (edited)

Great news MikeHerp, awesome!

I will for sure donate, I will start with 60USD and continue to do so as soon as they earmark it as HSV.

If this will be earmarked HSV research we should also post and promote this donation at our local herpes websites for the country each of us represent. 

Can you please keep us updated @MikeHerp if they come back to you? 

Btw, did you select HIV/AIDS and then sent Andrea an email telling her to earmark it as HSV

Edited by purp7e

MikeHerp
3 hours ago, purp7e said:

Great news MikeHerp, awesome!

I will for sure donate, I will start with 60USD and continue to do so as soon as they earmark it as HSV.

If this will be earmarked HSV research we should also post and promote this donation at our local herpes websites for the country each of us represent. 

Can you please keep us updated @MikeHerp if they come back to you? 

Btw, did you select HIV/AIDS and then sent Andrea an email telling her to earmark it as HSV

That's exactly what I did.

I selected HIV/AIDS and donated and then sent Andrea an email asking her to earmark it for HSV

And she replied and said she will definitely have it earmarked for HSV.  You can see her reply above. 

I'm certain if you do the same, she will also direct it to towards HSV.  And if you do, pls also politely ask that they add HSV to their donation target menu.  They are currently reviewing that.  

LetsDoSomething

Mike, in a sea of Negativity and lost hope you have wonderfully articulated the plight of those with HSV. The better and more organized HSV sufferers can be, the better chance we have at being heard. I applaud your efforts. Thanks for being a knowledgeable and active voice in this community.

MikeHerp

Guys!  I'm pleased to report the good news--somebody even beat to me to it above.

I got the below reply reply from Fred Hutch.  This means that you guys have been coming through with the donations and the request (emphasis added in bold bnelow).  Thanks for backing me up.

WE DID IT!  I'm really proud of this community, even while I hate being a part of it.  haha.

My initial, $100 was modest, partly because I felt it was going to HIV/AIDS, not directly to HSV (granted HIV deserves funds too).

Now I kn ow that the funds will be earmarked directly, I intend to up the ante now and be a regular donor and continue to follow up.

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your email. I am glad that we were able to correct your gift to HSV research. In fact, I have received many additional requests by your community who want to support Dr. Jerome’s work, so I was able to create a special fundraising page for your cause.

http://engage.fredhutch.org/goto/hsvresearch

Donations made to this page will go directly to Dr. Keith Jerome’s lab. You are welcome to share this page with others who may be interested in donating to HSV research as well.

I am going to be out of the office starting tomorrow, returning on January 14. If you are in need of any support with the page between now and then, please email my colleagues at fundraise@fredhutch.org.

Thanks,

Andrea

Andrea MacPherson Larson
Annual Giving Manager
Philanthropy
206.667.5242 Office

206.795.0890 Mobile
amlarson@fredhutch.org

Seattle, WA 98109

fredhutch.org

MikeHerp

I just checked the webpage they made.  It says they've raised $600 already! 

Keep it rolling guys!!

MikeIke

I've never heard of these people. Anyone have more info on who they are and their credibility 

Cas9
13 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

I've never heard of these people. Anyone have more info on who they are and their credibility 

That's what the internet is for Mike. Yes, they are very credible. Google Keith Jerome

MikeHerp
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JeffH said:

I donated $1000.

time to put your money where your mouth is, everyone.

BUMP!!!!

I'm going to do the same soon.  Next week, i'm going for $1000 too!!  I'll post when I do it.

You the man JeffH.  As you saiod, exactly.  Time to put your money where your mouth is!!

Edited by MikeHerp

MikeHerp
1 hour ago, Cas9 said:

I just donated $100. The total is now $1700

high5!!  BUMP!