World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MikeHerp

Donations to Fred Hutch Center

MikeHerp
10 hours ago, blank_stare said:

Just gave my first donation. I had been waiting to donate when the exchange rate from my local currency improved but I do not want to keep waiting, especially after reading about how this fundraiser has already had on an impact Dr. Jerome's research.

Thanks @MikeHerp for setting this up, I hope to donate again soon.

THANK YOU! That's great.

Yes, donations are now timely.  And, I'd also like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the period when donations may be useful is probably not that long.  Let's keep in mind that the purpose of the donations is to expedite FHC creating enough data from animal tests, to file an IND application to do human clinical trials (phase 1-3). 

Human trials are enormously expensive (Genocea estimated that they may need $150 million for a phase 3 for GEN-003, which never came because at 50% reduction in lesions and shedding, it was just too weak).

Our donations won't be able to fund human trials.  Those will be funded by institutional investors who have $ billions, but generally only invest once a product is ready to be tested in humans.  We're helping to bridge the gap between now and that point. Once institutional investors see this is removing the vast majority of latent HSV in various animal models without any real side effects (an unprecedented efficacy vs. safety profile), I can only imagine they will be jumping on this.

But that time gap isn't that long.  After guinea pigs (on which they are working on now), there are only primates and toxicology tests (latter of which I understand take around 10 months).  We probably aren't too far off from human trials and funding will likely be secured at least a year before the trials actually proceed.  It's only a few years, at most in my opinion.  Could be 4 years or even less.

Some people have said things like "I won't donate until this is in human trials".  Donations will be pretty much useless when this is in human trials for the reasons explained above.  At that point, about the only thing we could do is buy Dr. Jerome and his team, a beer.

If anyone wants to give, the time is now or soon.

dont quit!17
On 11/20/2019 at 4:30 PM, MikeHerp said:

But that time gap isn't that long.  After guinea pigs (on which they are working on now), there are only primates and toxicology tests (latter of which I understand take around 10 months).  We probably aren't too far off from human trials and funding will likely be secured at least a year before the trials actually proceed.  It's only a few years, at most in my opinion.  Could be 4 years or even less.

Wouldn't it be nice, if our donations expedite primate studies, like they did with guinea pigs. Lets hope for success. 

Franky26

just received an email from Fred Hutch about tomorrow event where any donation will triple  if i understand correctly, make it count everyone. i will for sure 

Cas9
26 minutes ago, Franky26 said:

just received an email from Fred Hutch about tomorrow event where any donation will triple  if i understand correctly, make it count everyone. i will for sure 

I didn't receive any emails from them. Does it apply to the hsv donations? We need to make sure if it's not certain.

Franky26

I hope so, they have it posted on there website 

MJRX

I have received this e-mail, so I guess it is for HSV aswell.

1D103254-12A3-4D3F-9B4E-1350358A5123.jpeg

Cas9

@MikeHerp

Mike, can you verify that donations we provide for hsv will be tripled? The message on their website represents the main funding for FHC. I want to make sure it applies to our separate donation site as well.

Edited by Cas9

iFdUp

If this is true I will give my first donation. 

I am not very well off right now, as a student. Though this would make it more than worth while. 

Lost-hope

someone posted this in another group..

“Just called FHC about their triple matching happening tomorrow: yes you can donate to the fundraiser, but the “matched” amount will go towards FHC’s general fund NOT towards Jerome’s lab specifically”

MikeHerp
6 hours ago, Cas9 said:

@MikeHerp

Mike, can you verify that donations we provide for hsv will be tripled? The message on their website represents the main funding for FHC. I want to make sure it applies to our separate donation site as well.

Somebody just verified that and I got a response as well. The answer is, if you want your donation to be tripled, then your donation would go to the FHC general account.  

Ok, lost-hope also shared the reply now.  

MikeHerp

Some guys are working on putting together a promotion video about the FHC research and the fund raiser. 

There's a couple of people who are focusing on that now on reddit and making good progress.  If you are interested in contributing (in any way), PM me.