World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MikeHerp

Donations to Fred Hutch Center

MikeHerp
31 minutes ago, Newone2 said:

Just threw another 100$ in the pot!! We are up to 2300$ now! Keep it rolling everyone! Keith is our man and needs our support! We need to spread this link around to more support groups and get more attention.

BUMP.  I'm going to donate again on Monday or Tuesday.  Thanks Newone2!!!

Miss Horne
2 minutes ago, purp7e said:

Hah, ok :D

Then lets get in touch with Usher! Im sure his willing to donate :yowie:

Is it possible to mass send a msg by inbox to all members of this forum, to inform them of this opportunity? Some admin could know, Im not sure who to ask. But I want the 5000$ limit to be raised before such a stunt like that.

There are currently 68.013 members at this forum.. Just saying 

Yeah let’s get in touch with Usher :D

I’m not sure the admin team will inbox all members, I don’t think it’s within thier policy. I think a huge percentage of people of this forum don’t log in anymore, if you look only about 250 log in every 24 hours so we’ll have to think of another way.

Saying that we’ve donated almost half the suggested target in less than 24 hours but that’s because one guy made a huge donation. I don’t know though I could just be talking bollocks as usual :giggle:

MikeHerp
8 hours ago, purp7e said:

I just got an email from Andrea aswell, confirming what you just posted @MikeHerp

@MikeHerp Do you know why the goal is only 5000$?

Im sure you will update your blog with this fantastic information. Do you have any statistics on how many followers you got? 

purp7e, thank you!

I will e-mail Andrea/Fred Hutch to ask why the $5000 target and whether they can extend it.  I'm pretty sure that's just a technicality and they will continue to accept past the target.

I've had over 21,000 blog visitors to my blog.  Not sure how many followers.  By the way, I run some ads on the blog and I also intend to donate the proceeds from funds raised from the ads to the HSV cure research.

Miss Horne

I’m pretty sure they will accept donations over 5000 dollars, I’m sure they just put that number in to test the water. 

Miss Horne
20 minutes ago, MikeHerp said:

purp7e, thank you!

I will e-mail Andrea/Fred Hutch to ask why the $5000 target and whether they can extend it.  I'm pretty sure that's just a technicality and they will continue to accept past the target.

I've had over 21,000 blog visitors to my blog.  Not sure how many followers.  By the way, I run some ads on the blog and I also intend to donate the proceeds from funds raised from the ads to the HSV cure research.

Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

MikeHerp
13 minutes ago, Miss Horne said:

I’m pretty sure they will accept donations over 5000 dollars, I’m sure they just put that number in to test the water. 

I think so too.  I'm sure they aren't going to stop it at $5000.  Anyway, I'll e-mail them and let you guys know!  

Miss Horne

Brill thanks, I think they didn’t want to put a ridiculously high number as a target as that might put people off, they’ve probably started out with a modest number to see how it goes. 

valleynovascotia

How many years do u think it would take? And how do we donate? So potentially I it works we might not have too say the words " I have herpes?

Cas9
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, valleynovascotia said:

How many years do u think it would take? And how do we donate? So potentially I it works we might not have too say the words " I have herpes?

http://engage.fredhutch.org/goto/hsvresearch

Click Give Now button half way down the page on the left. On the next page do the following:

- Under Donate section, select the amount you want to donate.
- Under Payment section, select your payment type and then enter the required info.
- At the bottom of the page, check off the box that says: Make this donation anonymous

- Click Give Now button

Edited by Cas9

MikeHerp
40 minutes ago, valleynovascotia said:

See Cas9's reply above about how to donate.

Regarding your other questions, I will quote from their press release of 2016:

The plan going forward is to “optimize every step of the process,” including using a newer generation of gene-editing tools such as CRISPR (more on that below), to attack the virus more effectively and boost mutation rates enough for a true cure. Jerome said it would take “several years of work” before researchers could think about testing the approach in human trials.

“But we’re certainly thinking about that,” he said. “That is the goal.”

“With the [DNA-cutting] enzymes that we used, we are a little below the threshold that would lead to a therapeutic impact,” Aubert said. “Using a more effective gene-editing tool is going to bring us within the range that we could have a significant impact on the disease itself.”

Even partial results may help ease recurrent infections. Earlier studies have shown that the frequency and severity of lesions is related to how much virus is present in the ganglia. Eliminating just half of the latent infection could help ease recurrences from one every month to one or two a year.

“Obviously, the goal would be that we make this so good we get rid of 99.9 percent of the virus or every last one, and you’d have a complete cure,” Jerome said. “But there’s a possibility of intermediate success along the way.”

valleynovascotia

Do you think he may tackle hpv as well?

Evaluate

@MikeHerp since I consider this fundraiser a legitimate one that will go directly to a recognized researcher in the field, I have pinned and featured your post.  Also I've modified your post (since after a week you're unable to), with the HSV link directly in the top.  I'll leave it pinned/featured for a week.

MikeHerp
8 minutes ago, Evaluate said:

@MikeHerp since I consider this fundraiser a legitimate one that will go directly to a recognized researcher in the field, I have pinned and featured your post.  Also I've modified your post (since after a week you're unable to), with the HSV link directly in the top.

Thank you very much!!

StayingUpbeat
53 minutes ago, Evaluate said:

@MikeHerp since I consider this fundraiser a legitimate one that will go directly to a recognized researcher in the field, I have pinned and featured your post.  Also I've modified your post (since after a week you're unable to), with the HSV link directly in the top.  I'll leave it pinned/featured for a week.

I agree with @Evaluate.  This is an excellent place to direct resources in the effort to alleviate HSV.  I'm also going to distribute the link.

MikeHerp
1 hour ago, StayingUpbeat said:

I agree with @Evaluate.  This is an excellent place to direct resources in the effort to alleviate HSV.  I'm also going to distribute the link.

So lovely!  Thank you so much!!

Miss Horne
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, valleynovascotia said:

Do you think he may tackle hpv as well?

Jerome Lab is working on HSV, HBV and HIV.

The Fred Hutch hospital probably has a team working on HPV, if you wanted to look further into that. 

Edited by Miss Horne

Miss Horne

I hope the Jerome lab will update their web page in the near future.

I’m interested to know if they have in fact reached the 20% to 30% edit as we’ve been made to believe, it was reported here a while ago but I don’t think anything “official” has come out yet. 

valleynovascotia
3 hours ago, Miss Horne said:

Jerome Lab is working on HSV, HBV and HIV.

The Fred Hutch hospital probably has a team working on HPV, if you wanted to look further into that. 

This is great if only they could cure both hpv and herpes.

ManagingIllness
Posted (edited)

These guys are the real deal. Just donated $50. Thank you for setting this up. The only strange part is that you can't select HSV from the drop-down on the main page. They are only $100 away now from reaching their 5K goal. Sadly HSV is not listed in their direct fund drop-down list. We should request that after reaching this 5K sprint.

https://secure.fredhutch.org/
This is the official website, and is secured by SSL layer (https).

Be sure to check if your company does charitable gift matchinghttp://www.fredhutch.org/en/ways-to-give/other-ways-to-give/workplace-giving/employer-matching-gift.html
That will effectively double the amount donated, so if you're donating $500 or 1k, then that is significantly more money.

Edited by ManagingIllness

Cas9
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ManagingIllness said:

These guys are the real deal. Just donated $50. Thank you for setting this up. The only strange part is that you can't select HSV from the drop-down on the main page. They are only $100 away now from reaching their 5K goal. Sadly HSV is not listed in their direct fund drop-down list. We should request that after reaching this 5K sprint.

https://secure.fredhutch.org/
This is the official website, and is secured by SSL layer (https).

Be sure to check if your company does charitable gift matchinghttp://www.fredhutch.org/en/ways-to-give/other-ways-to-give/workplace-giving/employer-matching-gift.html
That will effectively double the amount donated, so if you're donating $500 or 1k, then that is significantly more money.

They've already been spoken to about targeting the funds for hsv. In response, they set up a specific donate page for hsv. That's where you should be making your donation, not to the generic donation page.

Go here:

http://engage.fredhutch.org/goto/hsvresearch

Click Give Now button half way down the page on the left. On the next page do the following:

- Under Donate section, select the amount you want to donate.
- Under Payment section, select your payment type and then enter the required info.
- At the bottom of the page, check off the box that says: Make this donation anonymous

- Click Give Now button

Edited by Cas9

LetsDoSomething

Somebody contact ushers agent and see if some real $$ can get behind this. Great job everyone made the goal!! 

Mike excellent job giving us a voice and respect.