World's Largest Herpes Support Group

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• Aubrey77
      Thank you 
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Aubrey77 these symptoms are not something that oral HSV-1 can cause. In the end herpes would do what it does best and this is cause a sore somewhere on the lips . It might tingle a little as it forms, be inconvenient as it blisters and then crust as it heals and all look a little unsightly. But that’s herpes.    No reason to disbelieve your doctors thoughts on your issues.
    • Aubrey77
      Any feed back is welcome. I get these small bumps inside my right cheek. They do not hurt or burst. They just come and go. I showed them to doctors and the say they come up with stress and foods. Problem is I have pain and muscle spasms down right arm and in legs. Are these all ongoing issues for getting virus? I am not sure was going on with my body anymore 
    • Runner278
      Update: met with PCP Friday to get a referral to neurologist. During the discussion he discussed my low white blood cell count from a test I took in February. My count is/was 3.61. I asked him if that could be contributing to slow development of antibodies. He didn’t really react to it much. With that said, I did take another IGG test Friday which came back negative. I’m at week 12 post suppressive therapy and week 14 total without taking AVs. I emailed Terri Warren to see if she feels I need to wait longer to take the western blot to allow my WBC to increase and/or allow antibodies to develop. I want to use the WB as the final step in my testing journey and I don’t want to have to question the results.    Anyone have any experience or knowledge of someone with low/lower WBC and how long it took them to seroconvert?
    • asdfz
      Does anyone know what the side effects of pritelivir are?  Has anyone on this site actually tried it? 
MikeHerp

Donations to Fred Hutch Center

AlyssaN

Thank you! Now I'll set up my donation next week.

themotion
On 6/2/2020 at 1:16 AM, themotion said:

When I see the amount at an increment other than a multiple of 100, I always bump it up.

: )

Public Service Announcement:

WIth excitement I check the donation amount every other day or so and I've reduced my commitment to multiples of $50.

For example, if the total is $73,720 > Then immediately donate $30 to make it a multiple of $50.

Don't everyone start on me now........

Sillybrain2
Posted (edited)

Just topped up the donation total a teeny bit. The exchange rate sucks, just like hsv. 🤪

Edited by Sillybrain2

themotion
On 6/10/2020 at 5:00 AM, Sillybrain2 said:

Just topped up the donation total a teeny bit. The exchange rate sucks, just like hsv. 🤪

LOL! Don't worry. We are as far as we have ever been and YES in our lifetime we will see a complete CURE!

I just topped it up to a multiple of 50.

Keep. On. PUMPING THESE DONATIONS!

Sillybrain2
4 hours ago, themotion said:

LOL! Don't worry. We are as far as we have ever been and YES in our lifetime we will see a complete CURE!

I just topped it up to a multiple of 50.

Keep. On. PUMPING THESE DONATIONS!

😝😝 I rounded it up to the nearest $50 as I knew you would top it up again 😇😇

dont quit!17
Posted (edited)

I just enrolled in monthlies and will periodically give more whenever possible. After donating, it still gives you the "thank you donation for Cancer research" page, correct?

Edited by dont quit!17

WSX
Posted (edited)

My company agreed to match my $250 donation :)

@MikeHerp, can you give me the contact information of someone at Fred Hutch so I can make sure my company donates to the HSV fundraiser and not the cancer research?

Edited by WSX

MikeHerp
5 hours ago, WSX said:

My company agreed to match my $250 donation :)

@MikeHerp, can you give me the contact information of someone at Fred Hutch so I can make sure my company donates to the HSV fundraiser and not the cancer research?

That's awesome!

Here is the contact of the lady who helped us set up this fund raiser:

Andrea Larson
Senior Manager, Annual Giving
Philanthropy
206.795.0890 Mobile
amlarson@fredhutch.org

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Ave. N., Mail Stop J5-200
Seattle, WA 98109
fredhutch.org

Ohsotired2

I’m wondering what will happen with research. I received an email which mentioned that Fred Hutch has lost 59 million in funding.

See below!

As the coronavirus pandemic has sent shockwaves across our global economy, Fred Hutch has worked hard to respond to the situation while advancing our research and operations. But the realities of our economic environment have led to a projected $50 million revenue shortfall in our FY21 budget, which went into effect today.

I wanted to share with you how we are navigating these challenges. Yesterday, we announced layoffs of 76 staff and eliminated 81 open positions in our administrative division, including staff in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Philanthropy, Business Development & Strategy, and Communications & Marketing. They represent approximately 5 percent of our workforce. The passion, commitment, and experience of these staff made this decision extremely difficult. Despite a series of cost-saving measures, a reduction in force was unavoidable.

Our top priority for our FY21 budget is to uphold the pace and excellence of our research. We will continue and expand critical scientific operations, including faculty recruitment, a new COVID-19 clinical trials unit, and the opening of the Steam Plant, our new nexus of data science and immunotherapy research. Philanthropic support from donors like you amplifies the funds we receive through grants from federal agencies and foundations and makes these initiatives possible.

Your generosity puts Fred Hutch in the strongest possible position to conduct the leading-edge research on cancer, HIV, and related diseases that you and the world are counting on us for. Your commitment makes it possible for our 250 faculty and labs to push breakthroughs across prevention, early detection, and treatment of cancer, HIV, and other diseases — including during the coronavirus pandemic. For example, after pausing enrollment in some of our clinical trials because of the potential risks of coronavirus, we are ramping back up and are nearly fully up to speed.

The depth of our expertise in virology, immunology, data science, and epidemiology — often seeded by donor dollars — is allowing us to move at record pace on coronavirus. We are tracking its spread and prevalence, identifying antibodies, leading trials of experimental treatments and vaccines, and more. You've likely read about how our work is shaping national and global efforts.

Despite this week's reduction in force, we look to our new year with ambition and confidence. We are grateful for your commitment and support, which truly are more important now than ever. Thank you.

With best regards,

iFdUp

I don't  believe this will affect the HSV research too much. 

Shubhherpe
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ohsotired2 said:

I’m wondering what will happen with research. I received an email which mentioned that Fred Hutch has lost 59 million in funding.

See below!

As the coronavirus pandemic has sent shockwaves across our global economy, Fred Hutch has worked hard to respond to the situation while advancing our research and operations. But the realities of our economic environment have led to a projected $50 million revenue shortfall in our FY21 budget, which went into effect today.

I wanted to share with you how we are navigating these challenges. Yesterday, we announced layoffs of 76 staff and eliminated 81 open positions in our administrative division, including staff in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Philanthropy, Business Development & Strategy, and Communications & Marketing. They represent approximately 5 percent of our workforce. The passion, commitment, and experience of these staff made this decision extremely difficult. Despite a series of cost-saving measures, a reduction in force was unavoidable.

Our top priority for our FY21 budget is to uphold the pace and excellence of our research. We will continue and expand critical scientific operations, including faculty recruitment, a new COVID-19 clinical trials unit, and the opening of the Steam Plant, our new nexus of data science and immunotherapy research. Philanthropic support from donors like you amplifies the funds we receive through grants from federal agencies and foundations and makes these initiatives possible.

Your generosity puts Fred Hutch in the strongest possible position to conduct the leading-edge research on cancer, HIV, and related diseases that you and the world are counting on us for. Your commitment makes it possible for our 250 faculty and labs to push breakthroughs across prevention, early detection, and treatment of cancer, HIV, and other diseases — including during the coronavirus pandemic. For example, after pausing enrollment in some of our clinical trials because of the potential risks of coronavirus, we are ramping back up and are nearly fully up to speed.

The depth of our expertise in virology, immunology, data science, and epidemiology — often seeded by donor dollars — is allowing us to move at record pace on coronavirus. We are tracking its spread and prevalence, identifying antibodies, leading trials of experimental treatments and vaccines, and more. You've likely read about how our work is shaping national and global efforts.

Despite this week's reduction in force, we look to our new year with ambition and confidence. We are grateful for your commitment and support, which truly are more important now than ever. Thank you.

With best regards,

My prognosis is that the funding for herpes will be either cut down or completely stop for sometime. Curing herpes was never on the priority list of NIH. Though i pray my prognosis goes wrong.

Edited by Shubhherpe

Star33hcs
2 hours ago, Shubhherpe said:

My prognosis is that the funding for herpes will be either cut down or completely stop for sometime. Curing herpes was never on the priority list of NIH. Though i pray my prognosis goes wrong.

I think the same 

Babrb
What discouraging news.
I think it is time for someone to intensify somehow the actions directed at herpes and also press some way and show the importance of the progress of our research. if we do nothing, this research will end up being stopped. and that would be a tragedy.

themotion

If @MikeHerp or @Cas9 could comment on this they probably have a more accurate outlook on the situation. Cutback to administration shouldn't impact research and such.

Dr Jerome is not laid off and I personally don't believe that this won't stop his progress.

5 hours ago, Shubhherpe said:

Yesterday, we announced layoffs of 76 staff and eliminated 81 open positions in our administrative division, including staff in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Philanthropy, Business Development & Strategy, and Communications & Marketing

That doesn't say anything about continued RESEARCH. Sure it might take a little longer to find a stapler since admin is gone, but come on guys! Where's the optimism? If anything, it's time to push a little more in terms of donation. WE MUST HIT 100K before 2021.

iFdUp

I don't think that they would allow research this promising to simply stop.

Fred Hutch more than likely recognizes where this is going to go.

When the guinea pig trials prove successful it will be even better financial positioning for them.

WSX

5 months left to raise almost $20,000. We can do this.

Runner278
6 hours ago, WSX said:

5 months left to raise almost $20,000. We can do this.

I’m in for $1,000. 

WSX
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Runner278 said:

I’m in for $1,000. 

Leading by example — well done!

Everyone else:

Don't forget to check if your company matches charitable donations made out to Fred Hutch.

Edited by WSX

MikeHerp
Posted (edited)

The HSV cure research is partly funded by the NIH.

So it’s unlikely that FHC would stop it. If they stopped it, they couldn’t get the funding anymore.

The cutbacks, while unfortunate, only affect 5% of their staff. Like any other private institution, they aren’t immune to the effects of a crashed economy.

Let's continue to provide support and remain patient. Good news will cone but we have to be ready for the occasional setback or delay. 

I will communicate with them about the status at the next opportunity,

Edited by MikeHerp

Runner278

Just donated $500. I’ll put in another $500 next month. 

iFdUp
Posted (edited)

So I gather that COVID has had more of an impact than we expected on the actual conduction of the experiments, due to their lack of ability to gather a labour team to set it up. I wonder how much this window has shifted, specifically because of that it could be a handful of months. Disappointing. However the actual ability for them to foresee a potential date of 2022 for the trials is immense in any regard. That ain't long. 

The guinea pigs will largely be the driver for clinical trials? I suppose that's the biggest piece of pre-trial info we will get. Does that mean that primate testing is less important, or that it won't be done? I guess primate testing is a thing of the past. 

In regards to the potential license deals.. I would be curious to see if their expectations would be any better given a company were to join them sooner than expected. By all means this should have one of the larger med fabs chomping at the bit, or any production company. Assuming they got funding before Phase 1 even began, that estimate of 2022 might be solidified or expedited. 

EDIT: As well, that estimate of 2022 (even if delayed by ~2 years) should get some of the other investors out there sweating. Anyone with a program currently running for an HSV related medicine better pick their pace up and get to production if they want return on investment. At this point they better sell as much as they can before their formulation is considered obsolete. We don't have reason to believe anything else out there will hold a candle to this treatment, maybe besides what excision is developing. Maybe. 

Edited by iFdUp