World's Largest Herpes Support Group

MikeHerp

Donations to Fred Hutch Center

themotion

@MikeHerp

@Cas9

Hi Both, I must ask, while surfing the Fred Hutch website, you cannot organically navigate to the HSV Donation page. It's frustrating that I can't surf the site and find the HSV donation page as a general visitor to the site. They have every other area of research available for donation. The only way I've been able to access it, is by using the footer in @MikeHerp 's footer. Sadly, even when I type in HSV in the search area on the site, I get information and data only.

It makes me ask WHY? Do any of you know?

What they are doing with Dr. Jerome is something I can't even begin to express how important and instrumental it is to all of us and for that I am extremely grateful.

Thanks both.

MikeHerp
9 hours ago, themotion said:

@MikeHerp

@Cas9

Hi Both, I must ask, while surfing the Fred Hutch website, you cannot organically navigate to the HSV Donation page. It's frustrating that I can't surf the site and find the HSV donation page as a general visitor to the site. They have every other area of research available for donation. The only way I've been able to access it, is by using the footer in @MikeHerp 's footer. Sadly, even when I type in HSV in the search area on the site, I get information and data only.

It makes me ask WHY? Do any of you know?

What they are doing with Dr. Jerome is something I can't even begin to express how important and instrumental it is to all of us and for that I am extremely grateful.

Thanks both.

I think the simple reason is that this is a fund raiser that was started by our community rather than by Fred Hutch.  Or rather, FHC started it in response to our request.  

I still think they should somehow feature it in their pages.  But anyway, that's just how they do it.

Keep in mind that FHC's main focus is curing cancer.  It's a cancer research institute.  They might feel that putting stuff on their website that isn't directly related to cancer might give people the impression, especially cancer cure donors (who are by far the main donors to FHC), that FHC is losing its focus.

So we have to work within these limits.  

However, I do draw strength from the fact that FHC has tried to help us with the fund raiser.  Among others:

1.  When the new research paper is released, FHC has gotten an agreement with a prominent sexual health blogger, to promote the research and the fund raiser.

2.  There is another potential promotion in the works that might get back on track if the US is able to get the coronavirus under control.

So FHC has actively helped us to promote the fund raiser.

Focused

My monthly donation of $100 was recently processed. So far I’ve donated a total of $900 from monthly donations alone. I encourage anyone who has considered doing this to do so, we are all building a great deal of momentum donation wise this way.

BobinColorado
8 hours ago, Focused said:

My monthly donation of $100 was recently processed. So far I’ve donated a total of $900 from monthly donations alone. I encourage anyone who has considered doing this to do so, we are all building a great deal of momentum donation wise this way.

God bless you for your donations and I am a atheist! lol

I donated 50 dollars last month so hope my hard earned money that I have donated leads to a treatment or cure in my lifetime.  

MikeHerp

Proud of everyone who has helped to support this research! 

Their mouse study showing a functional cure for HSV1 has finally been published.

Nature Communications is one of the more prestigious academic journals.

Very satisfying that we have helped to move this forward.

themotion
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MikeHerp said:

Their mouse study showing a functional cure for HSV1 has finally been published.

Thank you @MikeHerp,

I noticed you post on Reddit too. Which platform do you find and share information more?

Anyhow this is fantastic news! Thank you for the update.

I estimate, by late October/November, we will have hit the 100K mark!

Edited by themotion

MikeHerp
1 hour ago, themotion said:

Thank you @MikeHerp,

I noticed you post on Reddit too. Which platform do you find and share information more?

Anyhow this is fantastic news! Thank you for the update.

I estimate, by late October/November, we will have hit the 100K mark!

Thanks for your support.  I mainly focus on r/HerpesCure Research these days.  

That is the site which focuses on supporting the cure research.  Please come join us there, it's usually the first place we post updates.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/HerpesCureResearch/

themotion
49 minutes ago, MikeHerp said:

Some additional good news.

Is there a Double-Like feature on this site yet?

Thank you so much for the update!

Franky26

FHC now have listed HSV  donation on there drop manu this is great 

Cas9
Posted (edited)

To donate via the method mentioned by @Franky26, do the following:

https://www.fredhutch.org/en.html

Click Ways to Give
Click Give Now

On the donation page that appears, there's a category called Direct My Gift.  Click the associated drop down and select HSV Gene Therapy

Edited by Cas9

Elephant in the room?
12 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

Congrats to the prestige of the publication and achieving the milestone of dormancy in mice for HSV1. How far we have all come and hopefully not long or far to go! One thing that unites us is to change treatment options for the better for those HSV infected. It certainly takes courage to get online and speak out about this issue, which is something that should unite us, no matter which treatment options you support.

Shubhherpe
10 hours ago, Cas9 said:

To donate via the method mentioned by @Franky26, do the following:

https://www.fredhutch.org/en.html

Click Ways to Give
Click Give Now

On the donation page that appears there's a category called Direct My Gift. Click the associated drop down; Select HSV Gene Therapy

The sentence in article " crispr can be manufactured in one day while making meganucleases can take upto 3 months" worries me. How will this treatment be produced for patient if it gets successful? Will it be manufactured in production units as like vaccines are produced or will it be hand made? 

Arabicguy
30 minutes ago, Shubhherpe said:

The sentence in article " crispr can be manufactured in one day while making meganucleases can take upto 3 months" worries me. How will this treatment be produced for patient if it gets successful? Will it be manufactured in production units as like vaccines are produced or will it be hand made? 

They refer to the design of the meganuclease vs crispr. Crispr is fast to design to target. Meganuclease takes longer. But once designed both i believe are easy to produce

Cas9
4 hours ago, Shubhherpe said:

Arabicguy is correct. As Dr. Jerome states, once you have it, you have it.

By the way, if it was hand made for each person, at 3 months per person, it would take 4000 years to inoculate everyone :)

BobinColorado
11 hours ago, Elephant in the room? said:

Congrats to the prestige of the publication and achieving the milestone of dormancy in mice for HSV1. How far we have all come and hopefully not long or far to go! 

Great news and looks like we are making great progress in HSV research.  I have HSV2 not HSV1 so hopefully this works for HSV2 as well?  Not we are on to the guinea pigs and hope it works as well on them.

Shubhherpe
1 hour ago, Cas9 said:

Arabicguy is correct. As Dr. Jerome states, once you have it, you have it.

By the way, if it was hand made for each person, at 3 months per person, it would take 4000 years to inoculate everyone :)

Thats what i was afraid of thinking only super rich would afford it.

themotion

Has anyone noticed that donations have spiked sharply?

We're gunna be at 90K before the end of the month!!!!!!!

Focused
Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2020 at 12:42 AM, BobinColorado said:

God bless you for your donations and I am a atheist! lol

I donated 50 dollars last month so hope my hard earned money that I have donated leads to a treatment or cure in my lifetime.  

Your comment put a big smile on my face, and I can promise you... it will help contribute to a good day for me. Thanks @BobinColorado!

Edited by Focused

MikeHerp

Got the following from Andrea (Philanthropy) at FHC today (emphasis mine):

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your note. I’m so glad that the news has been so positive! And yes, I am also thrilled that we were able to finally make the argument that HSV should be included in the main donation form.

We’ve had quite a few donations through these forms, and my co-worker will be adding them to your main page’s total $ raised once per week for your visibility.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

themotion

YES!!!

6 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

Got the following from Andrea (Philanthropy) at FHC today (emphasis mine):

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your note. I’m so glad that the news has been so positive! And yes, I am also thrilled that we were able to finally make the argument that HSV should be included in the main donation form.

We’ve had quite a few donations through these forms, and my co-worker will be adding them to your main page’s total $ raised once per week for your visibility.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MikeHerp
On 8/20/2020 at 3:04 AM, themotion said:

Has anyone noticed that donations have spiked sharply?

We're gunna be at 90K before the end of the month!!!!!!!

who knows, we might even be at $100k before the end of the month lol.  

themotion
14 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

who knows, we might even be at $100k before the end of the month lol.  

Max by Mid-September (and that's being VERY conservative) - I'd even suggest September 11th ish...

I'm not a data analyst but I've been tracking since around the 70K range and it's picking up pace as time goes on. There has been a few very generous souls out there that managed to donate by a few thousand which threw my numbers off, but excluding those outliers, we will have 100K reached by Mid September! I'm certain.

More importantly.....

The donation meter. I really hope it doesn't simply refresh to 0 once we hit 100K.

There should be another update on the donation landing page, perhaps in terms of the guinea pig testing in more detail? I know they just gave us a huge gift with that progress report https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/08/herpes-simplex-gene-therapy.html but if 100K is reached, the community would need further recognition of some sort. Similar to what it says now after we hit 50K mark. I strongly believe that it would damage the momentum we have. There's probably a massive number of untapped potential of people who see that page and don't navigate away without donating. I hope they realize this and at a minimum do their best to somehow engage with the reader more on the donation page.

What do you think?

iFdUp
2 hours ago, themotion said:

Max by Mid-September (and that's being VERY conservative) - I'd even suggest September 11th ish...

I'm not a data analyst but I've been tracking since around the 70K range and it's picking up pace as time goes on. There has been a few very generous souls out there that managed to donate by a few thousand which threw my numbers off, but excluding those outliers, we will have 100K reached by Mid September! I'm certain.

More importantly.....

The donation meter. I really hope it doesn't simply refresh to 0 once we hit 100K.

There should be another update on the donation landing page, perhaps in terms of the guinea pig testing in more detail? I know they just gave us a huge gift with that progress report https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/08/herpes-simplex-gene-therapy.html but if 100K is reached, the community would need further recognition of some sort. Similar to what it says now after we hit 50K mark. I strongly believe that it would damage the momentum we have. There's probably a massive number of untapped potential of people who see that page and don't navigate away without donating. I hope they realize this and at a minimum do their best to somehow engage with the reader more on the donation page.

What do you think?

They won't remove the amount collected once it hits $100,000k 

More than likely they will increase it to $150,000-$200,000.

They won't want the goal to seem insurmountable compared to the already achieved funding, for donator morale. : )