World's Largest Herpes Support Group
scorpiongirl

New- unsure what is going on

scorpiongirl

Hi everyone. About a month ago I found out that my ex had been cheating on me with a girl who has HSV-2 and I went to get tested at a local urgent care.  My HSV1/2 IgM came back a low positive (1.4) and the IgG came back equivocal for both HSV-1 and HSV-2.  I find that odd because I have had cold sores ever since I was a child and way before I had ever had any intimate or sexual contact with anyone.  I don't think I've had an outbreak below the belt, but I have had some sporadic itching and tingling down there.  I know that outbreaks aren't always super obvious and can be mild and that you can have HSV and not have any visable symptoms and still be contagious.  I started seeing a new OB/GYN and she refuses to write an order for me to get retested with another IgG and says that she'd do a swab test for a lesion if I got one and that itching is not a sign of HSV.  She did give me a prescription for Valtrex "just in case" but other than that was very dismissive of my concerns.  

I don't know what to do.  Do I just wait and see if I have an outbreak? What if I never have a noticeable OB but I'm still positive? What if the itching I've had down there is an outbreak but it's a mild outbreak and I don't know it?  I don't see anything that looks like a cold sore down there, but all the other STD tests came back negative so I it's not another STD.  I don't think I could live with myself if I have GHSV and pass it on to someone else so unless I can get retested I can never get involved with anyone ever again (since we all know that condoms don't necessarily protect against HSV).  I'm at a loss for what to do.  To top it off, I work in the entertainment industry and I'm on tour for the next five months so finding another doctor is pretty much out of the question for the immediate future.  Help? 

WilsoInAus

Hey @scorpiongirl I guess in the first instance, is there any reason to believe that your ex partner was actually infected? 

The transmission rates from female to male where the female knows they have HSV-2 are very low.

Herpes upon infection will not leave you guessing. There’s no waiting involved, blammo you will have lesions. Without lesions the chances you were infected are very low.

It sounds like you had a combined 1/2 HSV test? It would be good to repeat the test, type specific, when you can.

Tone123
Posted (edited)

To add to wilso u can order online discreet testing like I did because I had the same issues with my doc . WilsoInAus I'd like to ask you if one has hsv1 high antibodies does it give a mild case of hsv2 upon infection? Does it slow down the build for hsv2 antibodies. should we still have lesions? After 2 months i have not seen it, I read that most cases that have hsv1 are the ones that usually have asymptomatic cases of hsv2 witch kind of make sense to me. What's your take on that. I'm at the point where is rather have the lesions so I kno for sure lol

Edited by Tone123

scorpiongirl
Posted (edited)

Well, my ex texted me to confirm that he does in fact have HSV-2 and had an outbreak after our last intimate encounter (in November) and he didn’t use a condom with me. And you absolutely can have a mild outbreak and not realize it or be asymptotic and be contagious- hence the statistic of 85% of people having HSV 2 being unaware that they have it.  I had a type specific IgG but it was 2 weeks after the time of potential infection and it came back equivocal for both type 1 and 2. That’s what concerns me because I know for a fact that I’m positive for type 1.  So why are they both showing as equivocal when I know that I’m positive for at least one of the strains and have been for over 15 years? The antibodies don’t build up for a couple of months after infection. 

Edited by scorpiongirl

WilsoInAus

@scorpiongirl very old HSV-1 infections are sometimes missed in testing. The best course of action is to confirm things with a 16 week test type specific IgG for 1 and 2.