World's Largest Herpes Support Group
nydb1

How to confirm gHSV1 vs oHSV1?

nydb1

I recently tested positive for HSV1 via a type-specific Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay, which detected an IGG of 21.50 for HSV1. How can I confirm if this infection is oral, or genital? Would a swab, or culture test be able to confirm where the virus is?

WilsoInAus

Probably no need, if you are unsure this means it’s undoubtedly an oral infection from your childhood.

HSV-1 doesn’t really show up unannounced and there is about 30% of the population with oral infections who test positive for HSV-1 with no recollection of any cold sores.

nydb1

Thank you for your reply. The only symptom I am having which would indicate gHSV1 is a burning in my groin, and inner thighs. I do not see any visible sores, or ulcers. Would it still be recommended to do a swab test?

Atrapasueños

Aquí te dirán que tu hsv es oral mejor realiza un hisopo si tienes algún brote en tus genitales tus síntomas que tienes son relacionados a herpes genital pero también puede ser otra infección 

Here they will tell you that your hsv is oral better performs a swab if you have any outbreak in your genitals your symptoms that you have are related to genital herpes but it can also be another infection

nydb1

If there are no sores on my genitals can a swab or culture test still be performed? I dont recall ever having cold sores. Can a swab test still be performed orally? Sorry for the questions. I'm very scared, and alone right now.

Atrapasueños

Sólo se puede realizar un cultivo cuando existen los brotes mientras no existan los brotes es imposible

___________________""

You can only make a crop when there are buds while there are no outbreaks is impossible

nydb1

Thank you. Can you please confirm I am understanding this correctly?

The blood test simply tells me I have HSV1, but not where. A swab or culture test cannot be done to confirm where unless I have active sores, or lesions? The burning I am feeling might be related, however there is no way to confirm?

WilsoInAus

@nydb1 correct blood tells you you have it somewhere in your body and only a swab will confirm location. General and prolonged burning is not a typical symptom of herpes.

nydb1

Thank you @WilsoInAus. I have had this burning for nearly 4 weeks now. I am speaking with a physician tomorrow. I see what may be a small lesion on my frenulum, but I dont know of it can be swabbed.

Just want to move on.
9 hours ago, nydb1 said:

Thank you @WilsoInAus. I have had this burning for nearly 4 weeks now. I am speaking with a physician tomorrow. I see what may be a small lesion on my frenulum, but I dont know of it can be swabbed.

Prolonged burning may not be typical but it certainly isn't impossible. Your doctor might tell you it's not even possible but I can assure you it is. Hopefully in your case it's something else entirely. Goodluck. 

WilsoInAus
16 hours ago, Just want to move on. said:

Prolonged burning may not be typical but it certainly isn't impossible. Your doctor might tell you it's not even possible but I can assure you it is. Hopefully in your case it's something else entirely. Goodluck. 

Hang on, you cannot give any assurances at all!! You have never tested positive to herpes. 

The only assurance you can provide is that it is probably not related to herpes but rather whatever it is that you have!

Edited by WilsoInAus

nydb1

I spoke with a physician over the phone today, who basically reiterated what has been said. They mentioned that my symptoms sound typical of genital HSV1, however the only thing that can confirm this would be a PCR test of a lesions. The only one I am seeing is nearly healed, and does not hurt. The only thing I feel is still some burning, and discomfort in the groin area. They wrote me a prescription for Valtrex, but recommended not taking it unless I have symptoms. Is this common?

WilsoInAus

Yes it is quite common to just take antivirals during an outbreak. For most people though, this doesn’t do much with a recurrent outbreak.

I feel you can be very confident that you do not have genital HSV-1.

nydb1

Thank you @WilsoInAus. Not to doubt your knowledge, but I honestly wont feel fully secure in that fact until a lesions can be swabbed. However, one will have to appear for that to happen. I am going to take the antivirals, and see if my burning goes away. The physician stated that if so this would be a sign that the infection was genital. Is there any correlation between how high your IGG number is, and how long you've had the infection? For example, my IGG was 21.50. Could this mean I have had this for a while, but simply showed no signs? I was in a monogamous relationship for over 7 years. Prior to that I was with 1 other women where unprotected oral sex took place, and protected vaginal sex also occurred. In that time I never had any signs, but was never tested. Last year I was with 2 women. The first both unprotected oral and vaginal sex took place (STUPID), and the second unprotected oral sex took place, and protected vaginal sex. Sorry for the long post, my mind is crazy right now.

WilsoInAus

Your doctor is not correct in my view. An established HSV-1 infection does not cause a general burning in the genital region.

I feel you are just having a scare and there is nothing to worry about in terms of a genital HSV-1 infection.

T9000
On 1/8/2019 at 9:00 PM, nydb1 said:

I recently tested positive for HSV1 via a type-specific Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay, which detected an IGG of 21.50 for HSV1. How can I confirm if this infection is oral, or genital? Would a swab, or culture test be able to confirm where the virus is?

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter where the infection is, as you will always be potentially infectious to your partners. However ghsv1 is probably the better one to have as you shed less from that area.

Atrapasueños

Yo empecé con ardor en la ingle y la pelvis con el tiempo disminuyó en algunas personas el ardor es constante 

I started with burning in the groin and the pelvis eventually decreased in some people the burning is constant

nydb1

Hey Folks. I have been taking Acyclovir 400MG 3 times a day orally since 1/17. It seems to have helped the burning, but the pain stills comes and goes. Should I continue to take the antivirals? Is it normal for a burning pain to last this long? I think I may continue to take the prescription until I am out of pills, but I am concerned that I am still in pain.

WilsoInAus

@nydb1 I feel you can be quite confident that you do not have genital herpes here. 

Please return to your doctor for further diagnosis and treatment.

MikeIke

@nydb1 I'm in your boat - burning subsided with valtrex usage. I am on valtrex daily now.  Whatever strain of *whatever* virus it is, antivirals help it.  

It doesn't really matter what virus it is tbh as long as HIV is ruled out. 

MikeIke

Sounds like gHSV1 by the way - look up herpetic neuropathy.  Who knows if this is typical of gHSV1 or atypical, because most people expect CLASSIC / textbook symptoms where it's more or less a skin disease.  Sounds like a new strain is around. 

WilsoInAus

I’m sorry @MikeIke but that’s inappropriate and self serving to your own anxieties.

One can NEVER reverse engineer a herpes diagnosis from symptoms of any kind, particularly nerve issues. It is incredibly dangerous to do so.

It is not known whether nerve issues are even an atypical symptom of HSV-1 genitally. It has never been shown orally even where it is at its strongest.

Suggesting a ‘new stain’ is silly and desperate.

It is highly inappropriate and self centred to suggest another person has genital herpes in support of their own misguided self diagnosis. For goodness sake man, get a grip. This is not how people behave in modern society. Please reflect upon your words and I suggest consider an apology and rectification, clarification to your comments.

MikeIke

The man has confirmed hsv1 with nerve pain that propagates from the groin, to his thigh region.  That's a classic herpes area.  It seems as though HSV1 does not like to cause lesion like outbreaks in the genital region, but it could be upsetting his nerves.  

It could be something else entirely, and maybe he's had hsv1 antibodies for decades, that's legit too.  But given the test result, lack of cold sores, it's not insane to suggest his symptom might be related to hsv1

T9000
26 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

@nydb1 I'm in your boat - burning subsided with valtrex usage. I am on valtrex daily now.  Whatever strain of *whatever* virus it is, antivirals help it.  

It doesn't really matter what virus it is tbh as long as HIV is ruled out. 

I disagree. It matters quite a bit unfortunately. The only other virus you could probably have in your genital region is hpv, and personally I would kill to have hpv instead of this shit.

MikeIke
1 minute ago, T9000 said:

I disagree. It matters quite a bit unfortunately. The only other virus you could probably have in your genital region is hpv, and personally I would kill to have hpv instead of this shit.

If the symptoms are the same and you have the same management issues, does it really matter in the end?  Stigma aside.

Edited by MikeIke