World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Rockster

Should everybody get tested on Herpes Genitalis?

Rockster

So 1 in 5 has Herpes Genitalis
In 6 of 10 people it never breaks out
When there is no outbreak, these people can infect others at about 5% of the time. 
(please correct if i am wrong)

There is a simple blood test.

Should i do the blood test? 
When i am negative, i am happy. Then i ask everybody before i sleep with her if they had herpes. If they had, i just sleep with them wearing boxer shorts (condoms are a given anyway). Ok, they could be silent transmitters. So i would have to ask everyone to make a test too. Or also use boxer short+condom there. 

When i am positive this sucks. Then i have to have sex with boxer shorts and bad conscience or telling. 

2kroc

Yes, This should definitely be part of STD panel screenings.

Rockster

I will not get tested right now. 
I never had an outbreak, I don’t know if I am infected. 
I couldn’t take this right now. 

- 80% of infected don’t even know they have it, they don’t have outbreaks
- Of the 20% that are infected and have an outbreak, from these people 20% only have this one outbreak and then never again
- With condoms having sex for a full straight year transmission is only 1 in 20  cases. With people who don’t show symptoms it should be half, so 1 in 40 cases. 
https://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-diagnosis-handout.pdf
https://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-disclosure-handout.pdf

The action is the same with having it or not – taking condoms. 
And I also look into a barrier cream for the areas the condom doesn’t reach, I made thread about it but people don’t seem to be very interested in actual ways to not get herpes or transmit it. 

So – it will be the same. I will put on the barrier cream and she will perhaps ask ‘what are you doing?’, and I will just say it’s for extra safety, I don’t want to get anything, sorry, I am a little germophob. 
(Instead with herpes the whole thing would be totally the same, just sound a lot worse)

2kroc
Posted (edited)
On 1/30/2019 at 3:20 PM, Rockster said:

I will not get tested right now. 
I never had an outbreak, I don’t know if I am infected. 
I couldn’t take this right now. 

- 80% of infected don’t even know they have it, they don’t have outbreaks
- Of the 20% that are infected and have an outbreak, from these people 20% only have this one outbreak and then never again
- With condoms having sex for a full straight year transmission is only 1 in 20  cases. With people who don’t show symptoms it should be half, so 1 in 40 cases. 
https://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-diagnosis-handout.pdf
https://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-disclosure-handout.pdf

The action is the same with having it or not – taking condoms. 
And I also look into a barrier cream for the areas the condom doesn’t reach, I made thread about it but people don’t seem to be very interested in actual ways to not get herpes or transmit it. 

So – it will be the same. I will put on the barrier cream and she will perhaps ask ‘what are you doing?’, and I will just say it’s for extra safety, I don’t want to get anything, sorry, I am a little germophob. 
(Instead with herpes the whole thing would be totally the same, just sound a lot worse)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE50K62920090121

Is this what you're talking about? Amazing, I cant seem to find an actual product for sale. 

Its complete bullshit that it's been a full decade since this article was posted yet theres no significant follow up. Pharma companies would never fund and promote this, they'd lose big money. Prep for HIV is an improvement but it took tens of millions dying to make that happen.

If this would've been on the shelf at Walgreens and widely promoted, I probably would of bought it with that pack of Trojans and not caught anything and been on my merry way.

Edited by 2kroc

2kroc
Posted (edited)

Really the Pharmas only sell Prep because they make big money off it. They'd just never sell a cheap brand, unless they had an alternative money maker. 

10 years later and absolutely no follow up on a simple life changing cream. Utter fucking bullshit.

Edited by 2kroc

viralfrog

Absolutely.. it's terrible that e.g. in the UK, they don't do this as standard. If people know they carry the virus and would disclose, I think most of us wouldn't be in this situation. 

WilsoInAus
17 hours ago, viralfrog said:

Absolutely.. it's terrible that e.g. in the UK, they don't do this as standard. If people know they carry the virus and would disclose, I think most of us wouldn't be in this situation. 

But you’re missing the human element. 

It is because people are rejected that there is a culture of not bothering to test. 

Who on their right mind would test?

viralfrog
21 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

It is because people are rejected that there is a culture of not bothering to test. 

Anyone with a bit of common sense.. I mean why would you test for one disease, but not the other? Should HIV tests be left out too in fear of being rejected by society? 
My point is that it should be included as standard in a full STD check. Most people 'on their right mind' normally do one if they e.g. have a new partner and start having unprotected sex. 

Evaluate

While it's difficult to separate emotion from the disease, HIV can't be compared to HSV.  HIV can cause massive complications, AIDS, and other immune issues that if untreated can be fatal.  Drugs are very effective today if caught and treatment starts ASAP.

HSV on the other hand is no where near the severity of HIV.  That doesn't mean HSV is okay or should be sidelined, but it's very different.  Blood tests for HSV are often misinterpreted, not as accurate as one would hope, and do not specify if someone has oral or genital HSV.

viralfrog
5 hours ago, Evaluate said:

While it's difficult to separate emotion from the disease, HIV can't be compared to HSV.  HIV can cause massive complications, AIDS, and other immune issues that if untreated can be fatal.  Drugs are very effective today if caught and treatment starts ASAP.

HSV on the other hand is no where near the severity of HIV.  That doesn't mean HSV is okay or should be sidelined, but it's very different.  Blood tests for HSV are often misinterpreted, not as accurate as one would hope, and do not specify if someone has oral or genital HSV.

Totally agreed that HIV and HSV are not on the same scale for seriousness, but my point was that when regular STD checks do test for all the other diseases (Chlamydia, Ghonorrea etc.) it doesn't make sense HSV is left out. This is especially considering that HSV is incurable, unlike many other STDs. While HSV might be a very mild inconvenience for some people, it can ruin the life of other people (such as for myself, I have non-stop outbreaks and lethargy that are out of control as a result). 

As far as I know, antigen blood tests do tell the difference between HSV-1 and HSV-2 infections. At least when I got tested, these were in separate columns confirming I'm HSV-2 positive and HSV-1 negative. If you were referring to not knowing whether one has HSV-1 in their mouth or genitals, that's a good point. I don't consider HSV-1 as an STD to start with, but HSV-2 should definitely be a part of regular checks. 

2kroc
Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 5:04 AM, WilsoInAus said:

I would get tested, if I cared my health and others. Which is why I did. It's more human to care. small minded motherfuckers are ruining it for everybody because of their selfishness and lack responsibility. Also, Those People who knowingly give others STDs should be castrated.

HIV and Herpes testing should be forced and mandatory, if resources and time allow for it. 

Edited by 2kroc

WilsoInAus
2 hours ago, 2kroc said:

I would get tested, if I cared my health and others. Which is why I did. It's more human to care. small minded motherfuckers are ruining it for everybody because of their selfishness and lack responsibility. Also, Those People who knowingly give others STDs should be castrated.

HIV and Herpes testing should be forced and mandatory, if resources and time allow for it. 

Is this an episode of “Handmaid’s Tale”. Lucky people don’t live in such a dystopia.

You don’t have herpes, we’ve busted that myth!

2kroc
Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, WilsoInAus said:

Is this an episode of “Handmaid’s Tale”. Lucky people don’t live in such a dystopia.

You don’t have herpes, we’ve busted that myth!

Nope, you have still yet to provide any evidence  for your claim that 25% of genital herpes test are falsely positive

Also, stop derailing shit and acting as if that's a legitimate retort.

Edited by 2kroc

WilsoInAus
36 minutes ago, 2kroc said:

Nope, you have still yet to provide any evidence  for your claim that 25% of genital herpes test are falsely negative.

Also, stop derailing shit and acting as if that's a legitimate retort.

Must have the wrong poster, I’ve never claimed that.

2kroc
10 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Must have the wrong poster, I’ve never claimed that.

Screenshot_20190416-203938_Samsung_Internet.jpg

WilsoInAus

@2kroc what's that got to do with false negatives as per your post? Did you mean false positives? 

If you are referring to false positives there are a few studies on this from the early days of Herpeselect and again when generation 2 of the test came out. Refer to the work of the likes of Ashley and Morrow.

This paper shows how acute the issue is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2820239/

The figures in Table 1 tell the story, and there's a few extra numbers below the table that are useful.

Of the 250 Kenyan fisherman, 145 tested positive on Westernblot, that's 58% of these men. Under Focus Herpeselect Generation 2. As noted, there were 42 false positives (with scores greater than 1.1) on the Herpeselect. 

That means of the 105 men that do not have HSV-2, 42 of them tested false positive, a rate of 40%! It has been generally observed that those of an African background have amongst the highest false positive rates on these tests.

Regardless, most practioners dealing with thousands of patients also report false in the order of 20% of the time. Terri Warren and Anna Wald have quote a figure in several of their papers, including: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61908-4

2kroc
9 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

@2kroc what's that got to do with false negatives as per your post? Did you mean false positives? 

If you are referring to false positives there are a few studies on this from the early days of Herpeselect and again when generation 2 of the test came out. Refer to the work of the likes of Ashley and Morrow.

This paper shows how acute the issue is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2820239/

The figures in Table 1 tell the story, and there's a few extra numbers below the table that are useful.

Of the 250 Kenyan fisherman, 145 tested positive on Westernblot, that's 58% of these men. Under Focus Herpeselect Generation 2. As noted, there were 42 false positives (with scores greater than 1.1) on the Herpeselect. 

That means of the 105 men that do not have HSV-2, 42 of them tested false positive, a rate of 40%! It has been generally observed that those of an African background have amongst the highest false positive rates on these tests.

Regardless, most practioners dealing with thousands of patients also report false in the order of 20% of the time. Terri Warren and Anna Wald have quote a figure in several of their papers, including: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61908-4

These are WB results, not IGg. These studies cannot applied to my situation.

WilsoInAus
20 minutes ago, 2kroc said:

These are WB results, not IGg. These studies cannot applied to my situation.

The underlined thingy above is a link to the paper, in the paper several IgG tests  - Herpeselect is an IgG test - are examined for false positives.

It is exactly applicable to false positives on IgG testing.

As has been explained, you do not have a situation.  Your so called ‘story’ has more wrinkles than an episode of Downton Abbey!

2kroc
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

The underlined thingy above is a link to the paper, in the paper several IgG tests  - Herpeselect is an IgG test - are examined for false positives.

It is exactly applicable to false positives on IgG testing.

As has been explained, you do not have a situation.  Your so called ‘story’ has more wrinkles than an episode of Downton Abbey!

Oh no no no, these statistics were done on Africans. I'm an african-american with 20% white/native american admixture (differential factors that weren't included in that study) thus invalidating the study, and making it completely inapplicable/irrelevant to my situation in terms of scientific objectivity. Unless you can prove that my admixture is irrelevant via peer reviewed I'm going to have to ask you to shut that down.

Your smurfed logic has more gaps in it than a super Mario level. Also, the fact that I proved to you that herpes gladitorium exist proves there are no inconsistencies in my story.

Edited by 2kroc

WilsoInAus
7 hours ago, 2kroc said:

Oh no no no, these statistics were done on Africans. I'm an african-american with 20% white/native american admixture (differential factors that weren't included in that study) thus invalidating the study, and making it completely inapplicable/irrelevant to my situation in terms of scientific objectivity. Unless you can prove that my admixture is irrelevant via peer reviewed I'm going to have to ask you to shut that down.

Your smurfed logic has more gaps in it than a super Mario level. Also, the fact that I proved to you that herpes gladitorium exist proves there are no inconsistencies in my story.

I am not following your point. The fact is that false positives are an issue the world over. The combination of numerous studies and the practical experience of the likes of Warren and Wald show that there are plenty of false positives. Even the experience of thousands of people on this website is consistent. The exact percentage chance per person, who knows, however the benchmark if you have no information to the contrary is 20%. You need to argue why you might be different from the population average. 

Even that's irrelevant. False positives can and do happen to anyone and absolutely must be factored into any diagnosis.

I think people can read your story and decide for themselves.

2kroc
14 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

I am not following your point. The fact is that false positives are an issue the world over. The combination of numerous studies and the practical experience of the likes of Warren and Wald show that there are plenty of false positives. Even the experience of thousands of people on this website is consistent. The exact percentage chance per person, who knows, however the benchmark if you have no information to the contrary is 20%. You need to argue why you might be different from the population average. 

Even that's irrelevant. False positives can and do happen to anyone and absolutely must be factored into any diagnosis.

I think people can read your story and decide for themselves.

I dont give a fiddle  what anyone thinks of my story. As long as people know that wearing pajamas during sex will significantly decrease the chance of acquiring herpes (which I've proven) and that psychopaths with herpes should be forcibly castrated (which they should), then I'm fine and fucking dandy.

Edited by 2kroc