World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Rockster

About to take Herpes-Test - got some Questions, please help :)

Rockster

Hi there

Had sex about 20 times with this woman. With condoms of course. 

She told me then has genital herpes. Don't know which type. 

She also had one outbreak on her face when we were meeting once, (i am pretty sure we did not have sex then)

Once i got red skin on my penis and it hurt a bit. Was gone in less than a week, before i could manage to go to a doctor. 

I told her about it and that i am afraid it's herpes. She said she cannot imagine because she was always careful and never infected anyone. 

Was about 4 months ago. 

In retrospect it seems pretty clear i probalby have herpes. 

So now i guess i will do a blood test for it. I am kinda afraid cause i am already depressed at the moment for other reasons. 

I had herpes simplex on the mouth for a long time. (When i only had this it also sucked biiig time when i just started dating someone and we have not had sex yet)

What do i have to tell doc to get herpes tested? I am in Austria, insurance pays most stuff if it's 'necessary'. I guess i will tell him my ex had an outbreak and i am thinking about getting together with her again, and i had this mini-perhaps-outbreak. 

Anything else i should know? I know i have to take a test that differentiates herpes simplex and herpes genitalis, cause i have herpes simplex on the mouth. 

The blood test of course cannot differentiate herpes simplex on the mouth vs herpes simplex on the genitals, i guess? Ok, i guess i have to ask the girl which type she had. 

On the positive side: 

I can also not have sex when i have herpes simplex virus outbreak. So with herpes genitalis it would be basically 'just the same'. Not really. But a bit. 

Roja
On 1/11/2019 at 4:46 PM, Rockster said:

Hi there

Had sex about 20 times with this woman. With condoms of course. 

She told me then has genital herpes. Don't know which type. 

She also had one outbreak on her face when we were meeting once, (i am pretty sure we did not have sex then)

Once i got red skin on my penis and it hurt a bit. Was gone in less than a week, before i could manage to go to a doctor. 

I told her about it and that i am afraid it's herpes. She said she cannot imagine because she was always careful and never infected anyone. 

Was about 4 months ago. 

In retrospect it seems pretty clear i probalby have herpes. 

So now i guess i will do a blood test for it. I am kinda afraid cause i am already depressed at the moment for other reasons. 

I had herpes simplex on the mouth for a long time. (When i only had this it also sucked biiig time when i just started dating someone and we have not had sex yet)

What do i have to tell doc to get herpes tested? I am in Austria, insurance pays most stuff if it's 'necessary'. I guess i will tell him my ex had an outbreak and i am thinking about getting together with her again, and i had this mini-perhaps-outbreak. 

Anything else i should know? I know i have to take a test that differentiates herpes simplex and herpes genitalis, cause i have herpes simplex on the mouth. 

The blood test of course cannot differentiate herpes simplex on the mouth vs herpes simplex on the genitals, i guess? Ok, i guess i have to ask the girl which type she had. 

On the positive side: 

I can also not have sex when i have herpes simplex virus outbreak. So with herpes genitalis it would be basically 'just the same'. Not really. But a bit. 

Hi!

Herpes genital is also herpes simplex!

There are two types of herpes simplex: type 1 and type 2. Hsv-1 usually occurs on the mouth (oral herpes), but can also occur on  genitals (genital herpes). If I am not mistaken, about 50% of new genital herpes cases are HSV-1, transmitted through oral sex.

Hsv-2 is more frequent in the genital area, but can also occur on your mouth (although it's not very common as studies say). 

So both of them are simplex, one is just more common "down there" :-) 

You can ask your doctor for a blood test for HSV 1 and HSV 2 (tell them your last sex partner had it and you want to be sure that you are clean before having sex with new people) - even though these tests are not always very accurate. The best thing would be to get swabbed when you're actually having a lesion. 

Good luck!