World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Genny

Mirena triggering outbreaks?

Genny

Hi there, first-time poster. I was diagnosed with HSV2 in 2016 and I'm still kind of in denial about it. I really don't have it as bad as many; I only get one sore in the same place every outbreak, and my outbreaks have become very infrequent - maybe two last year? I take Valacylovir when I have an outbreak but not suppressive therapy.

Anyway, I got a Mirena put in about a month ago and so far I'm not a fan. The first two weeks were intense cramping randomly during the day. Then last Saturday, seemingly out of nowhere, I got a yeast infection. I haven't had a yeast infection in YEARS. My doctor prescribed fluconazole and once the symptoms started subsiding I got an outbreak. Needless to say it's been a very uncomfortable week. And I find the timing of both of these things one after another very suspicious considering the IUD insertion a month ago. So I started doing some research online and read a few things that made my heart drop - that the progesterone in the Mirena can lead to increased HSV2 outbreaks. If this is true I'm getting it taken out right away because I'm one of the lucky ones who really doesn't experience frequent or bad outbreaks, and I'm not going to contribute to them getting worse. However, I don't want to jump the gun and immediately blame the Mirena. Maybe the irritation from the yeast infection triggered the outbreak? I messaged my doctor to get her input but nothing back yet.

Does anyone else have experience with the Mirena or high progesterone methods making their outbreaks worse? I thought this IUD would make it more convenient to have sex but instead it's basically put me out of commission since I had it put in.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Genny

PAE123

Hello, I am new to the forum and just thought I would comment my expierience. I do not have mirena but I do have paraguard. I got my IUD put in 2 months before I was exposed and diagnosed with hsv2. My case is sort of a weird one as I did not have sex with the person who gave it to me but was sexually assaulted by someone with an active outbreak while at a festival on my period. He came from behind reached in my pants touched me with a hand that had been touching an active sore. The worst part about it is that the only sore I have only shows up right where he touched me. My partner had just stepped away to use the bathroom and it was very traumatic for me as I am still dealing with the ptsd from the incident. Anyways to the point. Paraguard works by causing inflamation in the uterus. The inflammation causes the body to create more progesterone so it may be more similar to mirena than normally disclosed by a medical professional. I feel that the Iud causes me to have more symptoms due to the inflammation it causes. I also read that herpes reacts to hormonal changes. I had plans to remove my Iud to see if it would help lessen my outbreaks but the current political climate has me scared to remove it. I plan to meet with my provider to discuss other options and if I do decide to remove it and my supression improves I will comment back. I will also add that my partner who also contracted hsv2 from this incident because we didn't know and were both tested and verified clean when I got the IUD has little to no symptoms while I suffer the most. I can't help but think its the IUD.