World's Largest Herpes Support Group
steel_panther

Phylogica

KG303

Does anyone have more info on if this could help treat herpes if you already have it? I read that it’s just for prevention but I thought they were going to test it in animal models sometime soon, as the company actually replied to someone on this forums email. Either way this is great. Transmission is my main concern. If everyone gets vaccinated against herpes and it actually works, I won’t have to think about transmitting it every time I’m intimate :) and maybe it can help with symptoms. Fingers crossed

Forest

Attached is some information on the same Philogica subject. You can get more insights on the discussion from the Research section of this site.

mcmich     99

84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default

Hi

The CEO already responded to my e-mail. This vaccine has not been tested as a therapeutic vaccine. So CAS9 is correct that this vaccine protects uninfected individuals (or mice in this case). Whether or not it helps people already infected will require further testing and study. Again, just my understanding of the human body (not my field) is that your body never kills neurons,. You need them to talk, move, tell your heart to beat, etc. So once infected, this vaccine will not cure you. It may be helpful to reduce OB's and shedding. It will be at least 2 years before they start any human testing. So, again, 10-15 years if all go well.

Going to do a follow up e-mail to have ask if someone can explain how this peptide vaccine can help intracellularly. Since the viral DNA is integrated into the cell DNA, the only way to remove it is through CAS9/sgRNA. It needs to be cut out of the DNA sequence in the cell.

Edited December 31, 2018 by mcmich

mcmich     99

84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default

Response from CEO

"Hi Mark,

It's a very complicated area and I don't profess to understand the details even of our own program (fortunately we have team members who do). The short answer to your question in relation to a therapeutic vaccine (ie. vaccine after viral exposure) is that we don't know because we haven't yet tried it - the models we have published to date relate solely to the prophylactic setting (ie. vaccine before viral exposure). The theory of viral clearance, however, remains the same if we can stimulate a sufficiently large immune response. We will assess whether we can achieve this therapeutic objective in 2019.

We have additional questions to answer before we can put forward our best shot at developing a cure. For example:
- which adjuvant should we be using;
- which antigens elicit the most effective immune response;
- do we need to a use a targeting moiety for the antigen presenting cells we are seeking to deliver to;
- how frequently do we need to dose etc.

With respect to what's going on at the cellular level - again, very complex from my understanding but the immune response captures the virus in two stages (both extracellular movement around the body and intracellularly once it has infected a host cell - see the article below for a good overview):

On the type of HSV we are modelling, we are using HSV-1 at the minute. Really, though, we are just looking at the ability of our CPPs to elicit the CD4+/CD8+ T-cells (agnostic of indication). The cancer and viral models are both being used for this purpose - the next one we are trialling will be in melanoma but is directed towards a competitive evaluation of the Cell Penetrating Peptide (CPP). 

We are about 24 months away from phase I at best but will know more about our strategic direction, lead indication and timelines after we present our data at the Keystone Conference in Vancouver in January.

I hope that is helpful and feel free to share with your forum.

Kind regards,

Rohan

RNY18
On 1/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, moialbalushi said:

I dont see where gen 003 is mentioned !! 

Genocea is mentioned, not Gen-003, sorry !

RNY18

This is from the presentation poster Phylogica  presented at the Keystone Conference :

"...Phylomer delivered peptide vaccine

protects against HSV infection

ª Vaccine construct contains HSV-derived gB/gD

epitopes priming an HSV-specific T cell

response

ª A single vaccination is given s.c. @ 2nmol +/-

Phylomer or control CPP in combination with

adjuvant Poly I:C

ª Phylomer-vaccine controls HSV infection

(no detectable virus) in 75% of mice..."

.....I tried to post the whole poster, but the attachment was too large.

It seems they are still at least 2 years away from any clinical trials, provided all goes well...

Edited by RNY18

JHenry
1 hour ago, RNY18 said:

This is from the presentation poster Phylogica  presented at the Keystone Conference :

"...Phylomer delivered peptide vaccine

protects against HSV infection

ª Vaccine construct contains HSV-derived gB/gD

epitopes priming an HSV-specific T cell

response

ª A single vaccination is given s.c. @ 2nmol +/-

Phylomer or control CPP in combination with

adjuvant Poly I:C

ª Phylomer-vaccine controls HSV infection

(no detectable virus) in 75% of mice..."

.....I tried to post the whole poster, but the attachment was too large.

It seems they are still at least 2 years away from any clinical trials, provided all goes well...

Thanks for posting—do they make any mention of potential therapeutic application?  Thanks,  Henry.

1 hour ago, RNY18 said:

RNY18

I had written to the CEO and gotten this reply :

"...At this stage they are prophylactic only (we have not yet tried in a therapeutic setting but, theoretically, the approach should work better - it is a killer T cell that drives the outcome not a memory response).

All going well we would still have a 24 month journey ahead to the clinic..."

JHenry
33 minutes ago, RNY18 said:

I had written to the CEO and gotten this reply :

"...At this stage they are prophylactic only (we have not yet tried in a therapeutic setting but, theoretically, the approach should work better - it is a killer T cell that drives the outcome not a memory response).

All going well we would still have a 24 month journey ahead to the clinic..."

Thank you for the prompt, positive response!!  Henry.

RNY18

Check my post regarding Drs. Bloom & Cullen's work.

When will any of this cease being science fiction and make it into the marketplace ?

So frustrating....