World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Forest

Excision Bio’s Crispr momentum through the lenses of its recently filed patents.

Forest

We have not heard from Excision Bio for quite some time.

I have learned years ago that if you want to understand the advanced research of any company, the best way is to analyze all the public patents they have filed. This will give you a good appreciation of their progress.

Below is the publicly available list of all the patents that Dr Khalili, the Excision team and Temple University have filed in this Crispr area. Their progress last year was impressive. They have filed significant amount of patents in 2018 to detect and eradicate the viruses. It is clear that they have achieved tangible success in building a solid foundation that will help eradicate HIV, JC and herpes latent viruses.

You can see the list I have searched by putting Dr Kamel Khalili name on the following search box.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/result.jsf

I am also impressed by the innovative reporter gene patent that they have filed. This will provide a detection and total mapping for all latent viruses (HIV, JC, HSV, etc) présent on all virus reservoirs in the individual.

This VISUALIZING VIRAL RESERVOIRS AND DISSEMINATION IN VIVO patent is one of the most crucial patent because,  for any cure to happen, you need to have a total visibility of all latent virus before attacking them. If you cannot find them you cannot eradicate them... 

Here is the patent filed

VISUALIZING VIRAL RESERVOIRS AND DISSEMINATION IN VIVO

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US224557723&recNum=25&office=&queryString=kamel+Khalili+&prevFilter=&sortOption=Pub+Date+Desc&maxRec=116

I will continue to search for publicly available technical information that can help all of us understand the Excision team’s progress towards a permanent cure for the viruses.

It is also refreshing to notice that the Excision team continue to  enroll top venture capitalists who have been behind SpaceX, Facebook, PayPal etc... they have been exceptional in building strong partnerships and collaborations to accelerate their level of execution.

https://medium.com/oakhousevc/announcing-our-investment-in-excision-biotherapeutics-1a42471e258c

Let us continue to express our best wishes to the Excision Team and Dr Khalili who are using Crispr to help eradicate HIV, JC, Herpes viruses, etc. 

hopeful22

Thank you for all this info. This is very encouraging. 

MikeHerp
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, Forest said:

Thanks for this.  It's interesting.  Though I couldn't find any patents specific to HSV.  Could you? 

Forest

Here is the patent for the RNA guided eradication of all the Hepres viruses. The irony is that they have filed this 2 years before the other viruses. Dr Khalili and his team have already addressed the Herpes virus eradication science. This is just one major milestone. They are now focusing aggressively to build the platform with a more effective scalability and visibility. Again, you cannot just focus on each patent in isolation. You may need to appreciate the synergies between the patents. This is where it get exceptionally valuable with this team. They are looking at this virus eradication issue from a holistic perspective instead of a piecemeal approach.

if you want more details you will need to visit this patent. Justia site instead of the patent scope site.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/kamel-khalili

I hope this helps answer your question.

• Publication number: 20180000970
    Abstract: The present invention relates to compositions and methods for the inhibition of the infectivity of a herpesvirus. In certain embodiments, the compositions and methods provide a CRISPR-associated peptide and a guide nucleic acid, which induce the mutation of herpesvirus genome, thereby inhibiting the infectivity of the herpesvirus. Further disclosed are Cas peptides including Cas9 or a variant thereof comprising one or more point mutations relative to wildtype Streptococcus pyogenes Cas 9 (spCas9), and Cpf1 or a variant thereof.
    Type: Application
    Filed: January 14, 2016
    Publication date: January 4, 2018
    Inventors: Pamela C. Roehm, Kamel Khalili, Sayed Masoud Shekarabi, Hassen Wollebo

Forest

Here is another concrete example of their holistic virus eradication approache. Last year Dr Khalili and his team have started to collaborate with the Vermont VA Medical Center in White River Junction. Their primary focus in this collaboration is on the eradication of the Hépatite Virus using Crispr .

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2018/march/27/white-river-junction-va-looks-curative-therapy-hepatitis-b

T9000

Sort of unrelated, but I remember a few months ago finding new patents filed last year for the einstein college vaccine. I wondered if they were indicative of new developments with it, but I brushed it off as probably not.

jeraldpeabody

@T9000 does anyone have any up to date info about the einstein college vaccine HSV-2 ΔgD-2 ? it looks really really promising! i think the issue with crispr is that it has to get through the whole 'messing around with dna' thing. a vaccine like HSV-2 ΔgD-2  would imho be much quicker to market.

Miss Horne
11 minutes ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@T9000 does anyone have any up to date info about the einstein college vaccine HSV-2 ΔgD-2 ? it looks really really promising! i think the issue with crispr is that it has to get through the whole 'messing around with dna' thing. a vaccine like HSV-2 ΔgD-2  would imho be much quicker to market.

I believe this is a preventative vaccine, rather than a therapeutic one.

I don’t think it will do anything for us already infected, only prevent others from acquiring it. 

jeraldpeabody

@Miss Horne if you watch the video till the end it doesn't sound that way. they've basically said the vaccine is a cure for both infected and non-infected. check it out..  i've made a new link that has the bit in question lined up for you :)

https://youtu.be/6wRT219obLM?t=1246

Miss Horne
4 minutes ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@Miss Horne if you watch the video till the end it doesn't sound that way. they've basically said the vaccine is a cure for both infected and non-infected. check it out..  i've made a new link that has the bit in question lined up for you :)

I really hope this is the case but I’ve read a few articles online saying that they are aming for preventative and therapeutic would be a bonus. I could be wrong though, I have been wrong many times in the past!

l agree with you though, gene editing and CRISPR are a long way off, if they ever get approved and a vaccine would get to the clinic quicker so let’s keep our fingers (and toes) crossed for this one.

Thanks for the video :thumbsup:

jeraldpeabody

@Miss Horne no probs! i've written directly to the lady in the video to ask but have not heard anything back as yet. maybe if others could do so we'd get a better idea ? 
you can find her details here: http://www.einstein.yu.edu/faculty/10991/betsy-herold/

looks like they are working with a company to do trials for it which was summer last year. would be great to hear where they might be now!

Cas9
26 minutes ago, jeraldpeabody said:

No, it's designed to be a prophylactic. Could it also have therapeutic possibilities? Maybe. That's something they will be looking into also. But it would never be a cure because vaccines have no effect on destroying the latent virus (i.e. the virus residing in the neurons). Vaccines have the potential of stopping the virus from infecting the neurons in the first place and also the potential of dealing with the virus once someone is infected, but only when it emerges from the neurons during replication. In the latter case, there could be an improvement in OB and shedding frequency and severity.

Edited by Cas9

jeraldpeabody

@Cas9

did you watch the entire video or the section i link to above? from the look of it it will be both prophylactic and therapeutic. I found this via wikipedia before i found the video... also worth noting the length of time the vaccine works. really encourage you to watch the whole 20-minute video. :)

HSV-2 ΔgD-2 Albert Einstein College of Medicine, William R. Jacobs Jr & Betsy C. Harold Live, Attenuated HSV-2 vaccine with US6 (gD) deleted Preclinical Successful in combating HSV-1 and HSV-2 in mice[17]

Edited by jeraldpeabody

Cas9
2 minutes ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@Cas9

did you watch the entire video or the section i link to above? from the look of it it will be both prophylactic and therapeutic. I found this via wikipedia before i found the video...

HSV-2 ΔgD-2 Albert Einstein College of Medicine, William R. Jacobs Jr & Betsy C. Harold Live, Attenuated HSV-2 vaccine with US6 (gD) deleted Preclinical Successful in combating HSV-1 and HSV-2 in mice[17]

I'm already quite familiar with the vaccine. It is PROPHYLACTIC!!!

It could also be therapeutic but that remains to be seen. And if it turns out to be therapeutic then that simply means it helps, doesn't cure. Vaccines don't cure. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

T9000
2 hours ago, jeraldpeabody said:

Sadly not that I'm aware of. It seems like everytime someone reaches out to them they just send the same canned response they've been sending out for years about being in animal trials. If they are in talks with a sponsor then it's possible we'd never hear about it until the trials were announced, which honestly would be fine by me. The only problem with this one is it's a live vaccine, which means the fda might not allow it to even be tested in people, since there's a chance it could revert to a wild type strain and cause disease. This is something I could understand if the medical community was consistent about it, and took precautions to make sure that people spread the disease as infrequently as possible, but the fact that they are so incredibly lackadaisical about it makes me feel like this is a glaring hypocrisy.

MikeHerp
15 hours ago, Cas9 said:

I'm already quite familiar with the vaccine. It is PROPHYLACTIC!!!

It could also be therapeutic but that remains to be seen. And if it turns out to be therapeutic then that simply means it helps, doesn't cure. Vaccines don't cure. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

In the video which was posted in the other thread, Bettsy Herald did mention a therapeutic effect in animals as well, though as you mentioned, it's not intended to be a therapeutic vaccine mainly.

But it seems it might be possible that it might have some modest therapeutic effect.  We'll see.

Cas9
2 hours ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@MikeHerp exactly! :D 

Jesus Christ, can you read? I said repeatedly that the purpose of the vaccine was prophylactic but that it may also have a therapeutic effect, however that therapeutic effect would not cure herpes. So the Einstein team will also be studying whether this vaccine also can have therapeutic properties. Go re-read my initial comment. You seem to not understand it.

Again, the vaccine was used to elicit an immune response that was then challenged by exposing UNINFECTED mice to the wild type virus. The result was that the virus was destroyed by the antibodies to the extent that the virus didn't even establish latency. No virus was found anywhere. That's how they tested the vaccine; as a prophylactic, not a therapeutic

Edited by Cas9

Cas9
2 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

In the video which was posted in the other thread, Bettsy Herald did mention a therapeutic effect in animals as well, though as you mentioned, it's not intended to be a therapeutic vaccine mainly.

But it seems it might be possible that it might have some modest therapeutic effect.  We'll see.

Yes Mike, I've read in the past where she mentions testing it for therapeutic properties also. I told jeraldpeobody that but he doesn't seem to understand.

Edited by Cas9

jeraldpeabody

@Cas9 I'm not sure why you're getting so upset with me regarding this. All I've done is shared a video and a company that I thought people may find interesting. I totally understand what you've said, I'm not stupid. The fact that it 'may' have a therapeutic effect in my mind is extremely positive and worth talking about.

I don't understand why you need to start accusing me of essentially being stupid. It's quite rude and frankly inappropriate. I'm sure I speak for many people on this forum when I say its better to maintain a positive outlook about any kind of possible treatment for this virus. I know the difference between a vaccine and a cure, again, I'm not stupid. I would ask that maybe you think before sitting at your keyboard and getting angry at someone that you've never met let alone talked to.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day and that we can all work together and be supportive in raising awareness of potential cures, vaccines and other treatments. 

Cas9
11 minutes ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@Cas9 I'm not sure why you're getting so upset with me regarding this. All I've done is shared a video and a company that I thought people may find interesting. I totally understand what you've said, I'm not stupid. The fact that it 'may' have a therapeutic effect in my mind is extremely positive and worth talking about.

I don't understand why you need to start accusing me of essentially being stupid. It's quite rude and frankly inappropriate. I'm sure I speak for many people on this forum when I say its better to maintain a positive outlook about any kind of possible treatment for this virus. I know the difference between a vaccine and a cure, again, I'm not stupid. I would ask that maybe you think before sitting at your keyboard and getting angry at someone that you've never met let alone talked to.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day and that we can all work together and be supportive in raising awareness of potential cures, vaccines and other treatments. 

If you understood what I said, then when Mike made his comment, you shouldn't have said "exactly!"
You were obviously implying that he was in agreement with you and not me.
But Mike was in fact agreeing with me. He was simply pointing out that Betsy Herold explicitly stated that the vaccine may have a therapeutic effect as well. I already knew that because she mentions it in this video AND because I read an article or saw a video (don't recall) several months ago where she said they would be testing it as a therapeutic also. You however, interpreted her statement in the video as the vaccine being a cure for the uninfected AND the infected. Here's what you said to Miss Horne in your earlier comment:
"if you watch the video till the end it doesn't sound that way. they've basically said the vaccine is a cure for both infected and non-infected. check it out.."

So you obviously think that the vaccine is a cure for those already infected, IT IS NOT,  so don't say you know the difference between a vaccine and a cure. If you have questions about vaccines in general, ask. Maybe I or someone else can answer.

Miss Horne

This is going to sound awfully selfish but I really don’t give a flying  fuck about a prophylactic vaccine :joy:

It’s too lake to close the barn door once the stallion has bolted out as we say in my country, in other words it’s fucking useless to me then :joy: