World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Loveyour5elf

Kissing and dating

Loveyour5elf

I recently ended a 7yr relationship with the man who gave me HSV1, oral and genital areas. I only had my original outbreak but no symptoms since. It was fine when we were together, no issues. However, I want to get out in the dating pool again and I want to know what the protocol is for discussing my status. Obviously, before sex. But what about kissing... when there aren’t any outbreaks?  Can I not have random makeout sessions anymore? Or even a first kiss on a date? What do you suggest?

WilsoInAus

What testing did you have to confirm HSV-1, have you tested to be able to conclude you do not have HSV-2?

Loveyour5elf
20 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

What testing did you have to confirm HSV-1, have you tested to be able to conclude you do not have HSV-2?

Confirmed hsv-1. Does that influence the answer for kissing?

WilsoInAus

I don’t know, how do you know which locations the virus is?

daisylover223

I am in the same boat as you, I recently got out of a 6 year relationship where my partner gave me the virus. I have had a few dates but I wasn't sure if and when I should discuss my virus with them. 

Loveyour5elf

Hopefully someone can provide some suggestions!

WilsoInAus

The first thing to note is that people generally do not disclose HSV-1. Most are comfortable that this is an assumed risk in life and has no role to play in forming a relationship. This is mainly because people have had their oral HSV-1 since childhood and it has generally receded well in their minds and they have observed its commonality in society.

Some people are more informed about transmission possibilities and disclose they have HSV-1. This is either upfront or before genital sex. Many do not disclose HSV-1 before kissing. 

Indeed many people do not disclose any form of herpes until the relationship is more established.

Hence there is no societal standard only your ethical and moral standards you wish to allow for. These allow for all of the following options:

1. Before any physical contact.

2. Before sexual activity involving genitals and the infection region.

3. When the relationship is established, say several months.

4. Never.

There are pros and cons of all of these options, but only 1 will align to your particular circumstances, including the community you live in and your ethical and moral standards.

When I was going, I never disclosed my HSV-1 Infection, furthest from the mind of a teenage boy. My first wife knew early on as I had an outbreak before first kiss even. She was unfazed. During single days for casual partners I would always tell if asked, but didn’t offer typically. For more serious dates it was probably 50/50 as to before kissing but always before oral sex. 

I have never requested disclosure of herpes, sometimes STD panel results though.

Atrapasueños

Estoy en la misma situación con las diferencia de que tengo muchos síntomas 

I am in the same situation with the difference that I have many symptoms

WilsoInAus
2 hours ago, Atrapasueños said:

Estoy en la misma situación con las diferencia de que tengo muchos síntomas 

I am in the same situation with the difference that I have many symptoms

No you are not the same, your symptoms are not related to herpes.

You can do it man, make 2019 the year you get your life back get over that woman and find a new love - we  are all behind you. 

Be the MAN you are destined to be!

Edited by WilsoInAus

RNY18

Co confused & sad,

Tested positive for 1 & 2 in Nov. 2018, never had an oral OB, that I know of.

I have had genital symptoms twice in 2 years.

Have not been with anyone in 16 months since last relationship.

Dreading "disclosing" to any potential partner. Cant imagine any negative woman willing to take the risk.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

LoganPaten
On 1/23/2019 at 3:12 AM, Loveyour5elf said:

HSV1

It's horrifying